The Cost Of Euthanasia

tianakaesha

I can't understand why you are so fixated on the price. It cost me over $500 in June. Euth and cremation. It cost me close to $200 for euth x 2 in April, home burial. It cost $100 for euth last August, home burial. It cost me $75 for euth last June, disposal by vet.

That's 5 death's in just over 12 months. And only 4 were oldies.

And you're whining about costs. I'm still mourning all of mine.

Did you know that VetPay won't give loans to unemployed people?

What are all of the retired pensioners with cocker spaniels (for example) meant to do if their dogs need surgery?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So am I the only person here who was asked to pay about $140 for a group cremation?

Vets don't do this themselves. They will pass on the cost of having another company do this, the cost will vary, and some vets might mark up the cost. I have heard of vets charging $75-$150, depending on their costs. Many people here organise their own private cremation, which can be upwards of $200, not including euthanasia.

The important thing is how good the vet is, if you are happy with this vet stay with him.

Weight never came into the cost discussion at the time , I was quoted a price twice , once by the vet and once by the receptionist ( who didnt know the weight of dog )

my price was because they charge for a home visit which is to be expected

then the PTS price ,

at the time I thought it was included , but not thinking straight I can see where the prices come from

I chose to have her PTS at home in her comfort zone , so the cost of home visit which was my choice and my cost

my bill came close to $900 for one day

( I had my 2nd dog checked for something while he was here )

But I did learn some things by all of this

check with AWL first about the cremation and what happens and costs , it does save money for those who have trouble with funds when the time comes , cuts out some of the vet charges

I beleive it is $220-00 for PTS in surgery ( quoted by 2 vet clinics )

even though I had checked out prices etc , there was miscomunication between receptionist and her boss , which led to extra stress and price quotes

and I also on a pension , so it was a huge bill that was a bit under quoted , but I still chose my way of having her home the last time

We rent so chose to have them cremated , again my choice and my cost

my girl has been gone 2 months tomorrow :( she was a Cocker Spaniel )

a few dollars put away per week does help with future costs needed

I had to have one of mine PTS about 2 years ago and that cost me around the $75 mark just for the euth. I took her home and had her cremated, which costs $240. I use Pets at Peace for all my cremations. Its not cheap, but its what I choose to do. All my dogs have matching urns.

I use Pets At Peace as well and have quite a collection of their urns now. I think the actual euthanasia is about $50 or less but as the vet organises it all and I just get a final bill when I collect the ashes, I have never bothered to ask for a breakdown. My girl last year cost me about $1000 all up for tests, treatments, euthanasia and cremation in her last couple of weeks. Back in 2000 though I had one that needed euthanasia, full autopsy, pathology on the brain and cremation with Pets At Peace and the total bill was only $300 when I was expecting it to be at least double that.

I can't understand why you are so fixated on the price. It cost me over $500 in June. Euth and cremation. It cost me close to $200 for euth x 2 in April, home burial. It cost $100 for euth last August, home burial. It cost me $75 for euth last June, disposal by vet.

Did you know that VetPay won't give loans to unemployed people?

What are all of the retired pensioners with cocker spaniels (for example) meant to do if their dogs need surgery?

same as my Mum, just pay the bill and yes she is only on an aged pension.

Persephone I dont think that sounds inhumane at all, it's quick and your animals are completely unaware and in a comfortable environment. It must be terribly hard for you though. I remember putting our pets to sleep in the same way when we were in rural QLD. :love:

+1

Vets find it distressing to pts a loved animal. I have no doubt your vet is quite happy to have you DIY. When I was in Australia I tried to use the mobile vet, cause she was kindly about the euth and it's nicer to have it done at home. She also did her homework and found the cheapest crematorium. I don't remember what it cost. I do remember that sometimes, when the vet came out to do something like puppy vaccinations, she was very glum, having just come from having to pts a much loved dog. . . . or a healthy dog that the family found inconvenient.

Edited by sandgrubber

Cost has nothing to do with mourning. :confused:

$500 or $70 is not going to make any difference to the pet at that point, but it most definitely can to the owner, especially if they are struggling financially.

Dealing with a situation with reality & pragmatism do not mean a person doesnt care.

Guest lavendergirl

Oh the flaming that goes on when anyone dares ask a question around vet charges - I expect the vet industry clique will be here any minute to flame some more.

No idea how much it costs and I don't care. When putting to sleep a beloved family member, money isn't something that factors into my thinking.

This. I for the life of me wouldn't be able to recall how much it cost. WIth the three that we have lost in recent times most of the days themselves are just a blur of heartachecrying.gif

I'm shocked at the variance in prices reading this and very shocked at some of the vets' attitudes as well. Hugs to everyone who has been through this. I wouldnt' wish it on anyonecrying.gif

My boy died in my arms almost exactly 7 days ago. ( at 8:30)

The vets tried to save him and couldn't.

I pay money into their bank each week. I asked them not to send a bill, I don't want to see it and don't care how much it Is.

I got his ashes back on Sunday and it wasn't cheap. Once again I didn't worry about price. I would pay triple that if I had to.

I'm not rich, I struggle to live each week, but I have a good relationship with the vets and they are fine with our agreement.

My boy gave me so much in life, it's the least I could do for him

$500 or $70 is not going to make any difference to the pet at that point, but it most definitely can to the owner, especially if they are struggling financially.

Dealing with a situation with reality & pragmatism do not mean a person doesnt care.

I'm a realist, I chose each time what I could afford and and what best suited each circumstance. The above prices are all from the same vet. And there was a 6th, a 7 day old puppy I had put down at home, $95.

I wasn't on here whinging about the cost for any of them or expecting free disposal of my pets.

My pets, my responsibilty in sickness and in health.

As its been said before. Different vets have different overheads and companies that they use.

Someone here may b quoting prices for a large vet in syd (very exp to run!) or a small one vet clinic in a low demographic area (much cheaper))

Vets are a business, they need to profit to continue to run.

Pets are not a right, they are a luxury that comes with additional expense and owners need to have a backup plan.

Whether its a savings account, cc for emergencies, borrowing off family, vet that will allow accounts etc

About 5 years ago my SBT boy was pts for $0 by my lovely vet. They were very fond of him and the next day they even sent flowers and a card signed by all the staff. Mid last year I old my old SBT pts and it cost $100 (same vet but I guess times are tougher!). They also kept the vet open for me so no other clients would be there. On both occassions they wrapped the dogs in their favourite blankies for me and then wrapped them in calico and sealed plastic bags so I could take them home to be buried.

Guest donatella

About 5 years ago my SBT boy was pts for $0 by my lovely vet. They were very fond of him and the next day they even sent flowers and a card signed by all the staff. Mid last year I old my old SBT pts and it cost $100 (same vet but I guess times are tougher!). They also kept the vet open for me so no other clients would be there. On both occassions they wrapped the dogs in their favourite blankies for me and then wrapped them in calico and sealed plastic bags so I could take them home to be buried.

I'd love to know which vets you use PS and not because I want to save money but because I am struggling to find a vet that actually gives a $h*t in Brisbane!

The ones I go to at the moment, granted at Bulimba, are OK, but not the best, I just don't get that animal loving feeling from her at all. And I pay a mint to see them because of the area they are in. I don't care about money I just want a vet who gives a damn.

Just a couple points:

1. Not sure about other states in Oz but under Brisbane city council law (health rules regulations blah blah blah) you cannot bury an animal unless it is done to exact specifications, hence why there are now 'pet cemetries' and 'pet crematoriums'.

2. Scenario 1 ->9 yr old Cat very ill diagnosed with Feline diabetes, decision made to Euthanise, cost of consult & diagnosis $60, remaining cost including disposal $40 I have been attending same vet practice for 27yrs.

3. Scenario 2 ->13yr old small breed dog end stage heart failure, becomes dramatically unwell late at night, rushed to a referred after hours vet clinic, explain at reception situation and that I wanted him PTS, dog is taken away I request to go with him, I am told emergency out back with another patient etc etc, wait 30mins, insist on action all this time my dog is alone in back room, finally vet nurse comes out rudely tells me "they are busy", another 15 mins pass, vet comes out tells me worst case scenario, yes your dog is very ill we have done a echo scan of heart, have him on ventilator, done all these unnecessary procedures, I totally lost the plot and screamed at him telling him I brought dog in to have him PTS, we then went out back dog was connected to every imaginable peice of equipment, I said my goodbye and it was all removed, clinically he was already gone nothing needed to be done to help him on his way. Then I arranged for him to be collected by a pet company who did an amazing compassionate job for $275 and he is always with me here at home. The total vet cost for that night was $1500 this nearly cost me my sanity :mad

Shortly after all this happened it was reported in the media about suspicious vet practice whereby this clinic were preying on human emotions, misdiagnosing and doing unnecessary procedures, all for the almighty dollar which of course when you are vulnerable you pay, :eek: they were subsequently shut down, run out of town not that it was of help to me or all the other people they took advantage of. We did try to take legal action but it all was useless as 'company' was wound up and debtors took over. :(

Edited by zeebie

I've used the same vet surgery since 1988! Dr Renate Atkins at Beenleigh Veterinary Hospital. She is not for everyone though - she is german and very forthright but I love her because she also does homeopathic stuff and thinks outside the square on tough cases. She once translated a special recipe for my dog from german into english!

Our shar pei foster kids use Dr Susan Dawson at Kedron Anvet and I think she is wonderful too.

1344245540[/url]' post='5921721']
1344243635[/url]' post='5921679']

No idea how much it costs and I don't care. When putting to sleep a beloved family member, money isn't something that factors into my thinking.

You're obviously not unemployed then.

It would make no difference whether I was employed, on a low income or unemployed. I would not shop around to have a family member euthanised as if I was buying a new fridge.

Sounds like you've never been unemployed. You have no idea.

I haven't worked for over 12months and i'm as broke as they come.

I'm with others - no way would i shop around for the best price for putting any of my animals down. If i ever have to make that hard decision again they'll go to their normal vet and i'll pay whatever the cost it. The dog's will all be cremated and brought home to sit with the other dog and horse on the bookcase.

My boy died in my arms almost exactly 7 days ago. ( at 8:30)

The vets tried to save him and couldn't.

I pay money into their bank each week. I asked them not to send a bill, I don't want to see it and don't care how much it Is.

I got his ashes back on Sunday and it wasn't cheap. Once again I didn't worry about price. I would pay triple that if I had to.

I'm not rich, I struggle to live each week, but I have a good relationship with the vets and they are fine with our agreement.

My boy gave me so much in life, it's the least I could do for him

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm a realist, I chose each time what I could afford and and what best suited each circumstance. The above prices are all from the same vet. And there was a 6th, a 7 day old puppy I had put down at home, $95.

I wasn't on here whinging about the cost for any of them or expecting free disposal of my pets.

My pets, my responsibilty in sickness and in health.

I can't see that your choices are any better or worse than those you are criticizing? :confused:

We all take our responsibilities seriously. All of us deal with this very difficult situation differently.

Personally, it's the last moments I care about, nothing more. I am not interested in keepsakes, but that's how I deal with it. I still mourn for lost pets & I understand others feel much differently.

Pet burial is big business, & I actually find the upselling of it often amounts to manipulation of owners at a very vulnerable time.

The vet who tried to do this to me was crossed off my list immediately.

I don't care how emotional I am (I was crying while asking the price), that is morally repugnant. Having had it happen once, I was a lot more suspicious the next call I made.