Flea And Heart Worm Prevention

Im at the stage now where I need to decide on the type and brand im going to give sam, i know there are three in ones that do heart worm, fleas and something else that come in tablet or on the back of the neck form.

Can someone explain the different types to me and where I can buy them

Thanks

Advocate is the spot on you may be speaking of, does everything bar tapeworm.

There are two types, hydatid (eating sheep or cattle carcasses, un-treated meat, sheeps faeces) and flea tapeworm, but if you have no fleas theoretically you have no flea tapeworm. :mad Easy to tapeworm separately with a tablet every 3-6mths depending on where your dog goes..in particular farming areas.

Revolution is the similar product, I don't think it does as many worms but I don't have the product info here to list which ones. Revolution takes longer to kill fleas can be up to 36hrs...while advantage/advocate and frontline are faster acting.

Advocate also has a waterfast claim but it's not as widely advertised as some of the other products.

Mel.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

There are a couple of threads on this active in health atm. You may want to do a search in there for more info :mad

I personally use Sentinel Spectrum (tablet, monthly, does all worms inc heartworm + fleas) and preventix collar for ticks (changed monthly)

We use sentinel spectrum for worms and fleas as it does all the worms, including heartworm, this is in tablet form, and given monthly.

We then use Advantix for ticks, a spot on treatment, which we give once a fortnight.

PS we purchase both from www.pricelesspets.com.au

Ditto.

Thanks for the info Christina77 - cat free household here though. :laugh:

I'm thinking of giving Sentinel a whirl. Only problem is that I'll have to have heartworm titre tests done first because my dogs have never been on heartworm meds.

I'm having issues holding fleas at bay and I daresay it is because of the weekly baths that my dogs get and the risk of washing the topical treatments off them.

I'm thinking of giving Sentinel a whirl. Only problem is that I'll have to have heartworm titre tests done first because my dogs have never been on heartworm meds.

I'm having issues holding fleas at bay and I daresay it is because of the weekly baths that my dogs get and the risk of washing the topical treatments off them.

Isn't Revolution ok to give dogs without heartworm tests first? Think it only kills any microfilaria and doesn't affect any adults if they're present.

Look into it - heartworm tests can give false negatives and false positives occasionally - I almost lost a dog years ago due to anaphylactic shock from giving medication after a false negative.

Hmmm...thanks guys. Funny, I was looking at the Capstar today. Will pick some up tomorrow and then look into the Revolution as well. Once I'm sure there will be no issues, I'll take a serious sticky at Sentinel. It would be comforting to know that everything is being wiped at once every month that's for sure!

Many people find Sentinel to be good, but remember that it is only an insect growth regulator, it works by elminating the lifecycle by making fleas infertile, but does not kill adult fleas that come from other dogs or places. It works brillianty for dogs who never leave their property. :laugh: So dog goes out, gets a flea, flea lays a bazillion eggs in your carpet and vwalla! You have a new lifecycle, new fleas hatch and need to jump on your dog for a feed before they get the medication.

The thing about Sentinel is that all the dogs in the home need to be on it, and any/all cats need to be on program injections 6mthly for it to be totally effective. No point paying extra for an IGR if the cats carry around a nice breeding lifecycle on themselves.

Also Sentinel is not great for flea allergy dermatitis as all the fleas still need to bite the dog to get the medication, so for dogs sensitive to only a couple of flea bites it's basically useless. Hence why they give out capstar packs for free in the summer and pretend as though they're being generous. :eek:

Mel.

Edited by Staff'n'Toller