Can I Feed My Dog (raw) Lamb Shanks?

squeak

So the big bones I've got for Axle now are cow legs? They are about 30cm-50cm long and sliced in half. Flies really like them - so does Axle.

He'll never be able to actually chomp through the bone (for a few months anyway) so is there a need to take the bone once the meat is gone? He likes chewing on them as they are... If I take them away he eats our table instead.

He'll never be able to actually chomp through the bone (for a few months anyway) so is there a need to take the bone once the meat is gone? He likes chewing on them as they are... If I take them away he eats our table instead.

My dogs like chewing on old bones too. I think as long as the bones are not so old that they are getting splintery it should be fine.

Lamb shanks or any bones should only be fed raw, so I heard. Anyway they are yummy, Midol I'm sure your cheeky one will like it, they don't last long as the cow bones though.

BTW those cow bones are so big, it occupies half my freezer, like to know how many of you guys got a second fridge for the dogs' bones?

Oh and the bloody flies, every time I give a big bone I will have my fly spray ready. Does anyone washes the left over jumbo bones every once a while? I was quite worried about fly eggs being eaten.

Edited by flycow

My dogs like chewing on old bones too. I think as long as the bones are not so old that they are getting splintery it should be fine.

Weight baring bones that cannot be completely consumed should be removed after the flesh and cartellige (sp?) has been eaten, gnawing on the bone can result in damage to the teeth.

I never feed any bones split down the middle for the exact same reason I don't feed lamb shanks - the c shape left when the bone is sawed length ways can become lodged over the dogs gums. It's happened to my dogs three times now and I won't risk it again!

As most have said, raw is the only way to feed bones!

Also with the in between size bones such as a shank, you may want to supervise your dog.

Five years ago one of my dogs was killed by a lamb shank. He was a guts and just sucked it down. Two to three days later he was terribly ill and unfortunately was eventually diagnosed too late as suffering from a gastrotestinal obstruction. While I personally would never feed such a bone to any of my dogs again, I do however feed almost every other type known to butchers.

The best thing that you can do is know your dog. My current ones are careful, non-rushed eaters, there is less of a risk there. If your dog does bolt food down, check that he does chew his bones.

Golden Girl,

i have been told by several rotty breeders and dog people in general that Brisket bones are one of the best bones to give your dog,

apparently they are hard/strong enough to provide a good challenge for the dog, but soft enough for the dog to be able to chew and eat properly as well.

also they are a great teeth cleaner!!!

i can vouch for this as my rotty pups teeth were getting a bit of build up even though she eats chicken frames and necks (yes she actually chews)

they just weren't keeping her teeth clean like the brisket bones :thumbsup:

personally i have only had trouble with shanks, nothing major, just a bit of coughing like she had something stuck in her throat and was trying to clear the airway when eating a shank, so now i won't feed them either, just not worth the risk for me personally :rofl: she still get lamb necks though and loves them!!

infact if she could survive on meaty bones alone, i would probably have not problems with her eating!!