Growling When Picked Up

TessaBella

Just in the last week, I've noticed that Bella growls softly when she is being picked up.

I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for.

She will happily sit on our lap and I've taken her to the vet and she hasn't found any instance of pain...any suggestions?

This doesn't happen all the time, but there doesn't seem to be a pattern with it either (ie. when tired etc.).

How do you feel when she growls? Scared?

Not scared, just as though it's something she shouldn't be doing...

ETA: threatened maybe...perhaps it is a dominance thing.

She tends to do it when she is picked up to be put on a lap. She comes to us, puts her front feet on our leg (how she lets us know she wants to be nursed) and that's when we pick her up...

Edited by TessaBella

yep, that's the way I do it...I'm still not sure why she's growling. Am I over-thinking it? It seems like it may be a dominance thing, and to be sure I've stopped her from being higher or equal to me by doing things like stopping her from sleeping on my bed, not playing with her at her level (ie. lying on the floor) etc.

I tell her "ah-ah" when she does it and quickly put her back down. Does this sound like the way to stop it?

Oi growls when she's comfortable and doesnt' want to be moved :laugh: She doesnt' do anything at all but growl to let us know of her displeasure of being moved to somewhere else. I dont usually move her but when she sleeps horizontally on the bed then she has to be moved!!!!!! :laugh:

I don't see how we can help you without any piccys! :laugh: :wink:

Agree :rofl:

My rescue pup went through a stage of growling when 'cuddled' she was too big to need to pick up but I think it was a little bit of fear/discomfort at being confined (if that is the right word for it ?).

We backed off on the cuddling but now it is she who comes to us to cuddle up LOL I'll have to dig out a pic the kids took of me and the dogs..well you can hardly see me as mostly covered by an adult Dobermann and GSDxBC 7mth pup and a kitten :laugh:

My Cavalier did the same thing when she was a puppy.It wasn't a growl, it was more like a mumble and she never snapped. It wasn't a dominance thing with her-she just didn't want to be confined on my lap.She would rather be off running and playing. I put her down when she stopped wriggling and praised and treated. She loves to be patted and sit next to you on the lounge but still doesn't like to nursed. And she is now the most laid back Cavalier I have ever seen but also very independent :laugh:

Placing feet up doesnt mean pick up,many dogs will just place there front feet up as a gesture & a simple pat does just as much.

Many people tend to over pick up puppies because its cute but it isnt always what the pups want or at a time they feel comfortable.I mean its like having a relative that everytime you visit you cringe with the thought of what about to happen.

Many people tend to over pick up puppies because its cute but it isnt always what the pups want or at a time they feel comfortable.I mean its like having a relative that everytime you visit you cringe with the thought of what about to happen.

Totally agree with this. I get so mad with people who want to pick up small dogs/puppies all the time and expect the dog to be pleased about it every time. I bet they wouldn't pick up a mastiff or similar sized dog every time they saw it! Different dogs have different personalities and preferences in regard to 'cuddles'. My previous boy was a real snuggle bum who loved to be in someones lap, but my current girl is Miss Indepedent, who's just not into close contact, but happy to lie at your feet. She also will place her feet up or paw people for a pat, but is not into being 'cuddled'.

Picking up a dog elevates it to your level in the 'pack' and long term gives it mixed messages on exactly what its true status is.

ie. I am elevating you, you are my equal but now I am stopping you from doing what you want. :laugh:

Result in pups thinking would be confusion and also inspire it to try out its new elevated position in the pack heirarchy.

I would not pick the pup up but give it lots of clear messages on where its place in the 'pack' is.

You are always the alpha leader. Alpha leaders don't let others share their position of 'power'.

So, pup doesn't sit on furniture with you unless you specifically invite it to. It doesn't sleep on your bed. It eats after you have eaten. etc. etc.

The result will be a pup that is more secure and well adjusted. :laugh:

You can also do exercises with your pup like 'peaceful puppy' ie. put pup on its back on your lap and make it stay like that quietly for about 5 minutes. You take the opportunity then to handle it, inspecting its ears, feet, mouth, etc. and rewarding when it is quietly relaxed with this procedure.

I tell her "ah-ah" when she does it and quickly put her back down. Does this sound like the way to stop it?

No, I would be ignoring the growling and not putting her back down until at least 10 seconds (minimum) after she stopped. If she growls because she doesn't want to be picked up and you put her back down then you reinforce her growling.

Definately ensure that you are picking her up correctly and do it slowly so she feels safe, make sure you are not causing her any pain or discomfort.

I'd practice picking her up and giving her a treat or something she likes when she doesn't growl. For at least a few days, I wouldn't give her treats at any other time.

ETA: also ensure that you don't pick her up to do something she doesn't like, e.g. clip her nails, brush her etc.

Also ETA: I don't believe that picking a dog up gives them reason to believe they are higher in pack status, except in situations when you are responding to a demand to be picked up.

Edited by haven

Thanks everyone for your replies!!

Haven - thank you, excellent advice. I think it must have just been that she wasn't settled in and didn't like the overwhelming attention (particularly from the kids). She has since stopped growling when being picked up altogether...thanks again for your advice!!!