Working Out Your Dog's Drive

JulesP

How do you work out your dogs 'drive'? I guess some are very obvious. I can't work out my young border's. He was chasing a bunny in the week and came back to me the instant I called him, and his nose was right on the bunny at the time. Has also come away from running ponies as well. He will start to chase things but if I say not to he stops straight away.

So does he have low prey drive, high pack drive or is just obedient?? He works for food but isn't a food maniac.

Herding more than hunting I would say as he was just licking the bunny rather than munching it!!

The herding is most obvious in that he collects things! There is currently a pile of about 20 treasures in the middle of my garden :D It looks like a rubbish tip but he enjoys it!

I would like to hear more on this subject. The drives that is

Herding more than hunting I would say as he was just licking the bunny rather than munching it!!

The herding is most obvious in that he collects things! There is currently a pile of about 20 treasures in the middle of my garden :D It looks like a rubbish tip but he enjoys it!

Edited by sasjeep

Me too. My jack has a strong prey drive. (I think) She loves to chase and tug but she will only tug if she feels like it. I want to know how to increase that.

I was reading a really good book "Shutzhund, training in drive" I think it was called but I had to give it back when I moved and I never got though it. :) any one know were I can get a copy?

Edited by LilBailey

My border collie pup has very strong tug drive, her food drive is 1/4 of her tug drive.

My toller is 60% food, 30% retrieving, 10% tug.

My flatcoat 70% retrieving and 30% pack. If he is not retrieving he just wants to hang out with you and everybody is his friend.

I have no idea the answer to you question, but i would think its fairly easy to find out your dogs top drive. Maybe your dog is just obedient, i can call my Darcy off a rabbit and he has a really high prey drive whereas i cant do the same with Nova who has a much lower prey drive but he is also really stubborn and doesnt listen to me at times :rofl:

Nova is probably 50% food, 30% pack and 20% prey

Darcy is 60% prey, 25% pack, 15% food

I would LOVE to hear more about this too. My dog works like a slave for a ball and is getting better and better at tug and works well for food also. She is a GSD. Interesting to read about other people's breeds and dogs.

Malinois - rediculously high prey drive. Unfortunately it over rides her going into defence so we're plodding along slowly with her. She will chase, hunt, stalk anything. If she hears someone 3 fences away prey drive is triggered and she runs the fence prey barking to get to it. She can pluck birds out of the air too, snaps its neck and leaves it. She never works for food, if she's training she wont eat.

DDB - also very high prey drive. He's a hunter though, he will catch and hold like a vice grip. He grabbed a bird once and buggered if I could get it off him (dont worry they only catch the ferals) He's not as cluey as the Mal but will go nanas over anything you wave in his face. He also wont take much food if we're training.

They both get rewarded with verbal/pats and taking a bite.

Tollers if you cant call your dog off a rabbit then wouldnt his prey drive be higher? If my two chased a rabbit that bunny would be finished (actually the drought is pulling them out of hiding :)) I dont know how people have worked out the exact percentages, for me it depends on what the dog is doing. Yes the dog may want to work in prey but that is useless for me because prey with no defence means I get a beating - dog wont defend me. Or dog switches into drive at an innapropriate time. urrrgggg

Tollers if you cant call your dog off a rabbit then wouldnt his prey drive be higher? If my two chased a rabbit that bunny would be finished (actually the drought is pulling them out of hiding :thumbsup:) I dont know how people have worked out the exact percentages, for me it depends on what the dog is doing. Yes the dog may want to work in prey but that is useless for me because prey with no defence means I get a beating - dog wont defend me. Or dog switches into drive at an innapropriate time. urrrgggg

Probably with a very high threshold too it, however food definately wins over prey.

I dont think he is in full drive because as soon as the rabbit disappears he just stops plus i think he is mainly chasing because Darcy is so maybe not a drive thing but a possessive thing?, Darcy once got stuck in a rabbit hole trying to get to the rabbit lol

Nova really only likes chasing things but only if he is retrieving.

ahh yes but prey drive is a natural response to a trigger. It is useless for a dog to keep being in prey drive if there is nothing to chase. Thats why when you train with the ball or whatever the idea is to make the dog think you still have the prey trigger in your posession even though they cant directly see it. If he's running after it like a loon then he's in drive, even if he is taking cues off the other dog. Remember pack order adds to a dogs behaviour when hunting as well.

I dont know much about the comparison on retireving and prey drive and how the two can intertwine. But I suppose the retrieve would be a modified version - instead of the basic hunt - chase - kill it has the added grab and bring back.

Any ideas retriever people?

I dont know much about the comparison on retireving and prey drive and how the two can intertwine. But I suppose the retrieve would be a modified version - instead of the basic hunt - chase - kill it has the added grab and bring back.

I imagine it would depend on how the retrieve is trained and on the dog.

If you trained a forced retrieve (ear pinch) then the dog would be in defence drive.

My dally is definitely in pack drive when she retrieves (clicker trianed and it took a year). It is a game and what she is after the the reward at the end of the excersise either praise or food. There is no kill at all in her retrieving, but playfull bouncing. Same with my BC pup- he also thinks it is a game.

Josh was doing lure coursing, he chases the plastic bag, then he catches the plastic bag, and trys to bring it back to me with the cable still attached LOL.

When we did the straight course at Healesville, Josh would run after the lure for about 100m then give up and run straight back to me, whereas Moses would keep going.

ahh yes but prey drive is a natural response to a trigger. It is useless for a dog to keep being in prey drive if there is nothing to chase. Thats why when you train with the ball or whatever the idea is to make the dog think you still have the prey trigger in your posession even though they cant directly see it. If he's running after it like a loon then he's in drive, even if he is taking cues off the other dog. Remember pack order adds to a dogs behaviour when hunting as well.

It is useless but Darcy still remains in a very aroused state after the rabbit has gone, thats how he got his head stuck.....rabbit disappeared, he eventually found the hole it went down and tried to fit in too :thumbsup:

Thats the thing he isnt running after it like a loon thats what i consider Darcy lol, he runs but certainly not as fast as he should be to try and catch it.

Ive tried taking him lure coursing before, didnt work lol he was only interested until he lost sight and went and done something else.

He is just a very stubborn dog who has learnt to ignore me which is why i cant call him off.

I imagine it would depend on how the retrieve is trained and on the dog.

If you trained a forced retrieve (ear pinch) then the dog would be in defence drive.

My dally is definitely in pack drive when she retrieves (clicker trianed and it took a year). It is a game and what she is after the the reward at the end of the excersise either praise or food. There is no kill at all in her retrieving, but playfull bouncing. Same with my BC pup- he also thinks it is a game.

The only time i really think i see Nova in prey drive is while retrieving.

However the reward is the ball and not something that i have as a reward for bringing the ball back. I have to find something that he wants more then anything in the world as the reward.