Best Dry Food Available

Zorro_007

I have both my Malamute and Husky on Eagle pack Holistic seafood. We have tried science diet, supercoat and pro plan, but this was the only one that both of mine will eat and like, and their stools are firm and dont smell like with the others, not to mention their coats!! They are brilliant!! I also get the largest bag at $90 and it lasts me 3-4 weeks with the 2 dogs..

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every dog is different, every breed is different.

What works for you may not work for another.

It is all trial and error.

The best thing is to try your dog on a brand you like for 1-2 months, if not happy with the results try another and so on till you are happy.

All we can do is give advise on what is working best for us.

Leanne

Every dog is different, every breed is different.

What works for you may not work for another.

It is all trial and error.

The best thing is to try your dog on a brand you like for 1-2 months, if not happy with the results try another and so on till you are happy.

All we can do is give advise on what is working best for us.

Leanne

:laugh:

Great post.

The thread was about what worked for dolers dogs, and it has made for informative reading. Finding a food that your dog enjoys and does well on can sometimes be a challenge - sometimes it comes easily. Over the course of almost 30 years in my chosen breed I have tried almost every type of feeding regime available - from Barf to a raw/dry combo to mainly dry. We currently have 4 older St Bernards who all have different needs. Finding a food that is satisfying, provides the expected results, and is cost effective is a cause for celebration!

Sags

Flycow, in all fairness, when some here have posted about "rubbish" foods they have more than likely been speaking about the likes of supercoat, which if you would care to use the search feature here and go back over a period of time, or indeed just read over this post again, you will find that several posters have had a problem with supercoat.

None here have specifically degenerated other products like Nutrience, Royal Canin or Innova, we have all merely pointed out the ingredients and the guaranteed analysis which is an important factor in the choice of any food.

For anyone wanting to choose what is best for their dogs look at the ingredients list, look at the guranateed analysis, purchase a smaller quantity, say a 7.5kg bag and see how your dog does on it.

If you dont like the commercial dry foods then there are many other options including BARF. :laugh:

Another great post!!!

Nutrience is a great food, Royal Canin is a great food, Nutro is a great food, Hills is a great food, Advance is a great food, Euk is a great food (get the drift?) and BARF is a great food!!!! It is all about the best choices for your own doggies.

If your pet is overweight - then you need to ask yourself what you did to contribute. If skin and coat are an issue then address it - there is a lot of info out there about various options.

Heck, I went into a cosmetics area the other day enquiring about a more suitable foundation for my very dry skin (have no thyroid) and came away with great info about flaxseed.

Do we ever stop learning?

Sags

:laugh:

Good post, Sags. What suits the dog best IS the best.

Zorro, California Natural and Innova are made in America, and available only from PP stores.

I used both some years ago, and found them both excellent. Again, premium foods, so you don't need to feed huge quantities.

I'm not in Australia so am not sure where Nutro, California Natural, or Innova would be available but I just felt like adding some of my experiences/thoughts on all three of the above foods.

My dogs (all different breeds) ate Nutro for years and I had great results. Coats were beautiful, soft, and shiny. Energy level was great. Their stools were good and had virtually no scent, and their breath was good. We switched to California Natural this past summer as my Doberman couldn't tolerate the Nutro for some reason -not sure why, but I'm glad I did as even though I had excellent results with the Nutro and saw no room for improvement, after feeding the Cal. Natural their coats became even more soft and shiny. They all look just as good as my friends' raw fed dogs now. Their energy level is still very high, but they're more relaxed with this food as opposed to the Nutro - hopefully that makes sense. We switch between Innova and California Natural and really, there isn't much difference between the foods and what they do for my dogs. I just switch every so often as Tango gets bored with the same food over and over again. So, I'd recommend the California Natural or Innova over Nutro, but I'm just basing that on my own experiences.

The food that made a big improvement in my young borders coat was Proplan Sensitive. Everyone comments on his coat. I had been feeding Innova, Cal Natural or Evo. Proplan Puppy didn't change it much either.

My older borders coat had got very skanky as I had been feeding her diet dry food and she has always needed lots of oil for her coat. It is coming back nicely now.

Have been trying Eagle Pack but both dogs are in great condition so it is a little hard to see any improvement. If Nutro was in a local shop I would try that but I can't be bothered with mail order.

Guest Piximatosis

Hey everybody - keep an eye out for a new food that should be on the market next year. It's called "Origen" or something like that from memory.. it contains no grains! 70% meat and the rest fruits, veg, herbs, eggs and whatnot... it looks absolutely brilliant.

A rep came in to work with some bags last week... I am really keen to try it. They're in the process of importing it from Canada so it may take a while, but I thought I'd give people a heads-up anyway. It could be really good!

Aha! Found a website. What does everyone else think? http://www.acana.cz/orijen/orijen/

Edited by Piximatosis

We feed Eagle Pack Power Formula to our 5 yr old Wei. Have tried a couple of other premium brands when she was going through a fussy stage, but have gone back to EP.

Great muscle condition and energy levels and nice compact poos ;)