Advice/ Help Please:)

georgiahand

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to posting on this forum, and have been literally reading through every topic there is to read in the Puppy section :rolleyes: As, hopefully, we're thinking of getting a puppy somewhere between now and March (as i'll have two months of JUST concentrating on puppy time, no work etc).

So, here is my situation, and questions:)

There are two of us living in a penthouse in the city (in Sydney), the penthouse is reasonably large...3-4 bedrooms, long hallway, quite spacey with wooden floors. We also have a decent sized balcony (tiled, not grass or anything). Also, there are no kids/ teenagers running around either. We currently have a cat and fish only. Cat is an eight year old Birman Blue Point, and is *the* most placid thing in the entire world- she used to be best friends with a mouse.

The longest period of time the pup would be left alone per day would be two hours at the most. Some days there would be one of us here for 24 hours straight (no no, we are not hermits, the boyfriend just works from home :)) The dog would get plenty of attention etc, and we would be able to provide 20 minutes ish or more of walking per day.

We're looking for a dog that is not a constant yapper (i know that yapping can be stopped through training, and dog will have training, but just in general with the breed), a pup that is easy to toliet train as we are inside and one that will get along with the current resident cat.

We are looking for a toy breed.

Like I said before, we were considering a puppy. My main question is, with those conditions up above, what would be a suitable dog to get? Also,

what do you think would be more suitable for toliet training? Having that grass thing on the balcony, and the dog can signal when she/ he wants to be let out, or having newspaper and the pup going to toliet out on the newspaper on the balcony? Another option is the dog letting us know when it needs to go the toliet, and us taking it downstairs onto the grass? Which option do you think would be better for the dog and us?

I've done so so much research in books, and a lot of different sources say different things about certain breeds. I just thought it would be useful to get some advice from dog owners:)

Thanks guys, I would appreciate any replys.

Georg.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Georg,

A Cavalier would fit in well I think. They love to be with their people, will curl up wherever you are but love a walk when it's on offer. They don't tend to be yappers. And if brought up with a cat will be nice to it :)

I may be a little biased though :rolleyes:

Something I've seen which may be an option for toileting, especially when young, is a clam shell pool (1/2 of it) filled with soil and grass planted on top. It's a bit bigger and allows the pup to find the right spot :rolleyes: Also cheaper than one of the grass systems you see (the ones I've seen are very expensive).

Most toy breeds CAN be yappers, but as you stated, it's a matter of training. Same with toileting. Just remember that as a young puppy you will need to take it out once an hour and after every meal/nap to avoid accidents. Whatever routine you decide on, the pup will get used to.

PS - I'd recommend a lowchen. Loveable little lions, low allergenic (don't shed but do loose hair through grooming), very people oriented, good size for a toy (between 5.5 - 6.5kg) and absolutely adorable.

Edited by tramissa

I absoutely LOVE Cavs. They are my favourite dog of all time, when I was growing up I had three...and by far are the best dogs anyone could ever own. I could go on for hours, but i wont:D

The boy hates Cavs. Theyre nearly "as ugly as pugs" in his words. I honestly wouldnt mind getting a cavalier, because i know what fantastic pets they can make. But having my boyfriend liking 'smaller' dogs puts a restriction on what i can yet. I already had a little debate with him last night that they were still considered toys, and are like cats.

But no, he's not convinced...gah!

Thanks though:)

Have you had a look at all the toy breeds? An Italian Greyhound might be good for your situation.

Have a think about putting a hall runner down your hallway - it will save the puppy scrabbling for traction and it will make a great racetrack. :rolleyes:

How much exercise do you plan to give the puppy as it grows- will you walk it?

We will walk it. Just about as much as it requires, as long as thats not a four hour hike up a mountain everyday. haha.

I have looked at italian greyhounds, and I really like the personality of them, but im not that keen on the physique of them? I'm not sure, im just so fussy heh.

Perhaps the easiest way to get a feel for what breed might suit you would be to visit a big dog show (and Sydney is the place for that). Not all small dogs are confined to the Toy Group. Shih Tzu and Lhasa Apso for example are in the non-sporting group.

Does your boyfriend have an aversion to large eyed dogs?

I'm not sure on what it is, I think its the face that he mostly dislikes. He's met my Mum's cav and just didn't seem to like it. He just showed me some websites on toy poodles, and they look cute. But im not so sure on the personality of them, i've heard they can be quite timid and hard to train, would this be correct?

(sorry for all my questions!)

Nope, I'd say your average well bred Toy Poodle is as tough as an old boot and dead smart. Timidity is a temperament fault... as I type this the Toy Poodle in this house is attacking her larger mini poodle brother in play. There's a lot of growling and barking involved.

Toy poodles are very trainable - their biggest problem is that people want to treat them like dolls or babies and not like the dogs they are. Lily my Toy has obedience and agility titles and is also a keen lure courser. They are a very popular small dog sports dog.

However... being active and intelligent, an under stimulated Toy Poodle may be yappy. I wouldn't list them as a breed known for their quietness. That's not to say you can't raise a quiet toy but if quiet is high on your list, choose carefully from well adjusted lines and definitely only by from a registered breeder that health tests.

I think Lily my Toy Poodle could handle living in a Sydney Penthouse...but she'd miss chasing the kangaroos too much. :rolleyes:

Grooming costs are another factor to consider with any poodle - it doesn't come cheap.

Edited by poodlefan

I am biased to Cavies because my best friend is one. But I also think that a toy poodle would be a great choice. I am also very fond of poodles as we had them when I was growing up. Not only are they extremely intelligent and easily trained they are also not the amby bamby type dog that some people think they are. If your boyfriend is happy with a poodle I'd run with it. :rolleyes:

Edited by Teandell

The boy hates Cavs. Theyre nearly "as ugly as pugs" in his words. IThanks though:)

Oooh, thems fighting words... :rolleyes: Send him round, Lola will change his mind. Actually my OH didn't like the look of pugs at first either, but I got Lola anyway. Now he recommends them to everyone, even his man-friends. Get what you want, it would be a tough tough man that would not love a cav after spending 2 minutes with one. Boys are too hung up on looks. :)

Hi there,

My OH and I went through a similar debate as to what type of dog to get. I have allergies so I needed something with the wool type coat as opposed to fur, but he only likes bigger dogs, so I had to look around for a bigger, low allergy dog - we finally compromised on a soft coated wheaten terrier. (have attached a picture of my little one below, because I want to show her off)

I think the idea of going to a dog show is a good one. Also read up on heaps of different breeds together (the wonders of the internet) - work out exactly what qualities you like in a dog - I'm sure you'll find one that you both love.

Alternatively you could check out rescue pups :rolleyes:

BTW I don't think there is any such thing as an 'ugly dog' :)

post-13205-1166663281_thumb.jpg

Mollie! Your dog is simply stunning!

We are easing towards toy poodles, but would speak to some breeders etc beforehand.

Do you guys think it would be easier if we had a grass patch thing or newspaper on the balcony? Or having the dog signal when it wants to go to the toliet, and us take it downstairs? Which would be easier and better?

Mollie! Your dog is simply stunning!

We are easing towards toy poodles, but would speak to some breeders etc beforehand.

Do you guys think it would be easier if we had a grass patch thing or newspaper on the balcony? Or having the dog signal when it wants to go to the toliet, and us take it downstairs? Which would be easier and better?

Thank you - we like her :rolleyes:

With a puppy I would be leaning towards grass or newspaper on the balcony. Puppies don't have that much control, so I'd want somewhere that's easily accessible for them at first. Once he or she gets older you can re-evaluate.

(Edited because I can't spell)

Edited by Mollie10

I just saw a purebreed cav in a pet store. It was SO cute. And the OH kind of agreed, i think. We spent a while playing with it.

I was wondering how good pet shops can be? We know the owner of the store and he is reliable when it comes to dogs and stuff. I know its such a bad idea to buy from a pet store, and so soon...

but *sob*

must resist. must must must resist. You just feel so incredibly sorry for them being in those tiny cages made out of glass, and when you put them back they give you "the look".

I cannot get the puppy from the pet store. I cannot get the puppy from the pet store.

Stick with a toy poodle, our first was a silver toy and he was the smartest, cleanest, friendly dog he was not a yapper at all and all he wanted to do was be by our side. His favourite thing was going for car rides.

All of our poodles loved/love to play fetch and swim at the beach.

The best thing about them you can change their looks anytime you want, my partner was also a bit funny about having the small dogs now his girl is the little black one on the end of my signature (as long as I don't clip her really short then she's mine until the hair grows back :rolleyes: ).

<I cannot get the puppy from the pet store. I cannot get the puppy from the pet store>

Yes please PLEASE keep telling yourself that! If you buy it they will just get more :rolleyes: Whatever breed you decide on find a reputable breeder who can talk to you about all the health issues and what testing they are doing. Plus you get to meet the mum (and maybe dad) and see how the pup has been raised. Plus a good breeder is always happy to be there if you have any queries.