Which Head Halter?

Guest Tiggy

I want to get Buster a Black Dog Head Halter to help me control him when he's lunging at other dogs but I'm not sure which one would be better for him, the original or the new Infin8. I've read you have more control over the dogs head with the original.

i would be wary as a lunging dog can snap its neck or the halter.

Have you dog the dog in obedience? If not it may pay to start a desensitisation program around other dogs. Maybe a pinch collar would do you some good too but you need a professional to help you first.

I want to get Buster a Black Dog Head Halter to help me control him when he's lunging at other dogs but I'm not sure which one would be better for him, the original or the new Infin8. I've read you have more control over the dogs head with the original.

I wouldn't suggest a head halter for a lunging dog at all.

If you are 100% going to get one no matter what anyone says then I would say don't get the new style one that has the clip at the back of the head, get the old style one that clips under the chin and you can get an extra connector for it which clips from the halter to a collar as extra backup.

Edited by sas

I do take him to Obedience training and he does settle down around the other dogs. I would like to persit without the halter but he's a strong 35kg Lab X Rotty and I worry I won't be able to hold him when we have to pass another dog on a footpath, If I can take a wide berth I do. He is a dominant dog and I know he doesn't see me as leader which is the problem. He's fine with my Dad. I thought he might settle down with age as he's 6 now but he's turning into a bigger bully with other dogs if anything, although he's never hurt a dog and if a dog has a go at him he backs straight down.

If fitted and used correctly a head collar will give you the greatest control over a lunging dog. Don't attempt dog obedience classes as the very thing that worries him is everywhere!!!

You need to try different head collars & finds the one that best fits your dog.

I have fitted 100's of head collars, you will not injure his neck, as its fitted to the dogs head!!

I have fitted 100's of head collars, you will not injure his neck, as its fitted to the dogs head!!

:love: Ummmmmmmmmm, that's not necessarily correct. I mean, sure it's fitted to the dog's head. This is exactly what creates more leverage on the dog's neck, leaving it very much open to injury.

For what it's worth, I agree, I wouldn't use a head halter. I have tried both Black Dog ones and also the halti. Personally, a pinch collar (after instruction) was actually preferred by my dog. No more rubbing the nose and trying to get it off during stays!!! I see this all the time in the obedience class I teach. To add to what others say about neck damage, I have seen another problem with head halters in my classes which I am now very fussy about when handlers have their dogs in one. If they are not fitted EXACTLY right and the dog panics at something or is playing up and pulls back hard, it's really easy, particularly with the halti brand, for the nose band to slip off the bottom of the dog's chin and into their mouth like a bit. On two occasions I saw this happen and the handler wasn't immediately aware of it because they were looking down at the dog, if you know what I mean. So if you decide to go with one (and I know lots of people have great success with them, I just don't prefer them myself), be sure that it is fitted absolutely correctly for your dog's muzzle. Hope this advice helps

Oh, and a couple of lessons with a really good trainer or behaviourist might help clarify the behaviour of your dog anyway and you'll have less need to worry about pulling or lunging. It sure worked for me. I found a fantastic guy here in Vic!

I would use the new infin8 over the traditional one for lunging, it's a fair bit safer, basically you could have it fitting like a martingale collar and by loosening the noseband right off you will have the least amount of tension over the front of the nose.

The infin8 makes a good start as the dogs tend to warm to it alot quicker, it doesn't shut the mouth entirely and if you find it doesn't give you enough control then you can change to the original and the dog is already used to the feeling. :love:

My advice would be to email blackdog themselves and ask who is experienced with the infin8's in your area to fit one for you. :love:

Mel.

Tiggy

Contact Warren at Black dog Wear and ask him about the new harness he is testing.

I have trialed it and it is the best thing I've ever used for a dog that pulls.

I'm not sure whether he has completed his test yet but it doesn't hurt to ask him.

OK establish leadership. Go back to obedience training him in the backyard and regaining control. Its not safe for you OR the dog to walk him and have him lunge, if he pulls you in front of a car or fights you will never have control. Dont bother with head collars, training equiptment is not meant to be a problem solver its just a tool.

Think of it this way. You want to build a shed. You have timber, nails and a hammer. OK You have everything but the shed wont build itself will it? You need someone to help you lift the timber, show you where to hammer the nails, etc. Just because you have all the tools doesnt mean you will automatically get the end result. But putting a head collar on this dog would be like using a brick to hammer the nails. Might work in a round about sort of way. Or you might have a disaster on your hands.

Try reading http://www.leerburg.com/groundwork.htm

Take from the website what you need. Get the general idea about how you need to treat the dog to establish in his mind you are the boss without being loud, violent, corrective and harsh. I walk a 55kg mastiff on a flat leather collar now because he respects my AUTHORITAH (well most of the time cheeky sod :wink:)

Press the restart button with this dog. Anyone can control a large dog but the harder you try and the more he wins the worst off it is for everyone.

Your dog DOES need obedience but you need to speak to your instructor about what you can do outside of classes and how to regain respect. Dont expect dogs to just improve with age, you can never just sweep issues under the carpet. They dont go away they snowball unfortunately! Lack of leadership creates problems like lunging. He doesnt fully understand what to do in the situation so he makes it up. If he was truely dog aggressive he wouldnt back down but you still dont need a dog that initiates aggression from others. I dont see this as being a major issue, just do some groundwork and you should see improvements. But remember - always be CONSISTANT and PERSISTANT. Lay down the rules with the dog and stick to them! If you give in or give him slack he wont respect you at all.

I would use the new infin8 over the traditional one for lunging, it's a fair bit safer, basically you could have it fitting like a martingale collar and by loosening the noseband right off you will have the least amount of tension over the front of the nose.

The infin8 makes a good start as the dogs tend to warm to it alot quicker, it doesn't shut the mouth entirely and if you find it doesn't give you enough control then you can change to the original and the dog is already used to the feeling. :love:

My advice would be to email blackdog themselves and ask who is experienced with the infin8's in your area to fit one for you. :love:

Mel.

have to agree with you tehre mel. i have used both black dog halters with success.. i find the infin8 much better as said its more like martingale style collar with a nose strap.. is very affective and gives great controll.. i used it on my lab boy who was a lunger also... eventually worked him down to a flat collar still some lunging occasionally over excitment was just a leap out the door etc... not lunging at other dogs.... i often used 2 leads 1 connected to the flat collar so no pressue on the infin8 , he just knew it was there.., i recomend them and love blackdog stuff

I am starting to wonder if this Thread is a Windup? Tonymc

I don't think so Tonymc, although I do believe there is someone in our midst who isn't really experienced or fully knowledgeable in the ways of ANY of the pieces of equipment mentioned. ETA .... ESPECIALLY the head collar. :wink:

Edited by Erny

A head collar is NOT a substitute for training. If you think a 35kg dog can't lunge wearing a head collar, think again. Furthermore, lunging wearing such a device is potentially harmful to the dog.

Get a decent professional trainer to help you with this dog. Both you and the dog will get more benefit from training than from merely fitting a head halter.

have to agree with you tehre mel. i have used both black dog halters with success.. i find the infin8 much better as said its more like martingale style collar with a nose strap.. is very affective and gives great controll.. i used it on my lab boy who was a lunger also... eventually worked him down to a flat collar still some lunging occasionally over excitment was just a leap out the door etc... not lunging at other dogs.... i often used 2 leads 1 connected to the flat collar so no pressue on the infin8 , he just knew it was there.., i recomend them and love blackdog stuff

Yup and that's exactly how they should be used. :love: I also am much happier fitting them to homes where children may be holding the lead at times, as the design is quite different to the original and it would be much more difficult to cause injury with the infin8.