Fleas

nickys

Am wondering if anyone can give me some advice on fleas? I am new to this website and it looks really helpful. I have 2 dogs who are absolutely full of fleas and i`m going out of my mind. I use revolution once monthly. Have tried frontline spray and Malaban rinse. I am bathing them every day with a flea shampoo which I know is too often. As soon as I get the fleas off them new ones jump straight back on. I am flea bombing the house tonight. Does anyone have any advice? Is there anything I can use to stop new fleas from wanting to jump and stay on them? Thankyou.

I found that Frontline had stopped working for me about 2 years ago. I moved to Advocate and have been very happy with that. You also need to treat their bedding at the same time. I have flea bombed and also sprinkled some flea powder round and after swtiching to Advocate, that was the end of my problems!

Now get the odd one or two but no more problems. Advocate also covers heartworm and worms!!

Have also used Advantage successfully.

I buy from www.pricelesspets.com.au and have never found cheaper!

Get a large bottle of permoxin and one of those spray bottles that you can pump up to create pressure. Then spray any surface the dog is in contact with. Oh spray the dog as well, OFTEN.

I have been known to spray grass, dirt, carpet, wood floors and even the walls with this.

It does work well for fleas and will have the added side benifit of killing spiders, roaches flys and such like as well.

Good Luck

Linda

Your dogs are being reinfested from their environment so you have to treat the environment as well as the animals. Use the permoxin spray as suggested but concentrate on environment. Are the fleas in your house or your yard? If your dogs have access to under the house (ie your house is on stumps) there will definitely be fleas under there. Fence it off so the dogs cannot access and throw pool salt under the house or spray. You also need to treat the yard - there are products available for this.

Yes you are right. They are in the house. I have just flea bombed the house and there is a remarkable difference but what i`m wondering is when I take them to the park and the fleas jump on them again what happens once they bring them back into the house?

They will start breeding.

If you're to take your dog to the dog park, or any other place where there may be fleas (ie friends houses?) then you will bring them with you. To prevent this from happening, get some "Capstar" Tablets from your local vet, and each time you are leaving the dog park, pop one down the dogs throat, and it'll kill any fleas that jump on and bite them in the next 24hours, and you won't be bringing any fleas home with you! Capstar is basically a flea wash in a tablet, so reduces the need for you to be washing so often either.

If really bad, maybe dogs have Flea Allergy Dermatitis, which if the case, will need a vet visit to releive them of the itchiness!

-WithEverythingIAm

Get a large bottle of permoxin and one of those spray bottles that you can pump up to create pressure. Then spray any surface the dog is in contact with. Oh spray the dog as well, OFTEN.

I have been known to spray grass, dirt, carpet, wood floors and even the walls with this.

It does work well for fleas and will have the added side benifit of killing spiders, roaches flys and such like as well.

Good Luck

Linda

What is Permoxin and where do you get it? Is it a chemical that needs to be diluted? Our new girl is scratching madly to the point where chunks of hair are coming out and now our boy is scratching madly too. I have given them both a bath using Aloveen and have frontlined them but they are really going for it. They have appointments on Wed at the dog groomer where they will get a flea bath but I can't wait till then....they are itchy. Also, I have looked really hard but cannot find any fleas!!!

Not only does Permoxin last for ages but you can mix it and keep it for days this way.

I have had moments when I have sprayed all the dogs each day with it to great effect.

Yesterday I also sprayed the whole house with a stronger mix.

It can be purchased at some pet shops as well as the vets and produce shops. The produce places will generally be the cheapest place to get it.

Cheers

Linda

Fleas are a pain at the moment, I'm using Revolution every 2-3weeks at the moment, I'm thinking of doing the neighbours dogs also.Hog

ps, thanks for the tip Dogmad will try Pricelesspets.I found a $22.00 difference between produces stores I use for my revolution, I hate it when I find out I,ve been ripped by my local friendly store that I spend Thousands of dollars in over the year. I,ll give them bloody $22! :thumbsup:

Fleas are a pain at the moment, I'm using Revolution every 2-3weeks at the moment, I'm thinking of doing the neighbours dogs also.

Awwwww... that's so sweet Shayne! Doing the neighbours dogs... but I was wondering how are you gonna do all the neighbourhood cats that are bringing them into your yard at night time? :thumbsup:

-WithEverythingIAm

PS - How did you NOT hear about pricelesspets.com.au when you've been using DOL for quite a while now?

Not only does Permoxin last for ages but you can mix it and keep it for days this way.

I have had moments when I have sprayed all the dogs each day with it to great effect.

Yesterday I also sprayed the whole house with a stronger mix.

It can be purchased at some pet shops as well as the vets and produce shops. The produce places will generally be the cheapest place to get it.

Cheers

Linda

So how do you use this, how often and can you use it after a bath? Where do you spray it, wht happens if the dog tastes it? I am really considering this. My husband just found a flea on Stella and they are both really scratchy.

If it is a one off infestation - use the Capstar tablets that someone up above mentioned. Thankfully my 3 very rarely get fleas and if I see one or there is some scratching I give them a Capstar each. Anything more sinister and I give a flea bath and or frontline. I look at their tummies everyday and groom once a week (bath, turbo dry and clip) so I notice any fleas before it gets out of hand (she says with fingers crossed) :hug:

So how do you use this, how often and can you use it after a bath? Where do you spray it, wht happens if the dog tastes it? I am really considering this. My husband just found a flea on Stella and they are both really scratchy.

You can use the spray every day if you want to or need to while you have a problem.

I spray it on the dog and on all floors and beding in particular. I have not noticed any effects

on the dog from chewing . Advantage is also fantastic for fleas on the dog. I however could

not get advatage just before xmas so bought frontline (under duress as it was all I could get)

and I swear it ATTRACTS ticks. We get a few here and there but boy within 12 hours Reaper had

5 BIG ticks, Freya (the pup) had 4 BIG ticks, Chino had 2 and even Ted had 2.

Cheers

Linda

I went to our new vet and they recommended the Capstar and Advantix. Seeing as I have only recently purchased a new pack of Frontline, I'll use that (every 2 weeks) and then change over. They would have sold me the permoxin but were pushing the Capstar more and they said it's a bit easier. We have been giving Stella sponge baths on her tummy every few hours to get rid of the flea dirt, being really careful not to aggravate the area. They are both going to get their tummies and bits shaved and clipped on Wednesday. The Capstar seems to be working. I realise it only kills the fleas that are already on them. The scratching has dramatically minimised today.

I just spoke to my vet today about the fleas as well, have done my boy with frontline every couple of weeks and he's still full of them.. the cat (on revolution) is fine however. Vet gave me some capstar tablets and told me to use 1 tablet every week for 6 weeks, as well as frontline every 2 weeks... I posed the question of frontline not working anymore, she said it was highly unlikely but if I wanted to can swap to advantage... i still have some frontline left so will see how that goes with the capstar... she also focused on environment as well... which is understandable... she did say cat probably has them too but cleans herself so much that I don't notice them.