Tooth Extraction

After a paralysis tick scare, which turned out to be bush ticks thank god, we got some bad news from our vet. Both Ivan and Chopper have broken a canine tooth. We can either have them extracted or have a root canal done and caps fitted. He recommended extraction, as the

other option would be purely cosmetic and the caps won't necessarily last forever. The costs were approx $950 and $1500 respectively. Do you think that sounds reasonable? OH wants to shop around, so I thought I'd ask you guys first if you've ever had to have this done and how much you paid? We're in Kingsford, Sydney.

Thanks

Hi ruthless

Mav had a broken P1 tooth extracted a couple of yrs ago (as well as some other work - result of a park fight) but i would expect a canine to be more expensive as the roots would be deeper how big are the dogs anaethetics are generally quite expensive. those prices sound reasonable to me for the work involved...

i looked at getting Mav capped - was told really expensive and i was told it wouldnt last more than a couple of year and he may have to go to melbourne to get it done!

The "extraction" sounds a lot of money IMO, although I admit to not having much of a bench mark to go by.

Some number of years ago, Kal :eek: had a filling in one of her back molars. I can't find the account so am a bit hazy about what I paid for the service, but I think it was somewhere between $200.00 - $300.00.

I had occasion to take a dog to emergency for an accidentally loosened tooth just a few days ago. They ended up being able to quickly extract it without GA. The account, including antibiotics, painkiller injection and the service was $186.00. But remember, no GA was involved in this case. Also note that the Centre is an Emergency Centre, and they often charge at a higher rate for consultations as well. (Although funnily enough, when there is "service" involved, I often find the EC's work out cheaper ..... :D).

Sorry - don't know if this is much help to you.

I have no idea what the average cost of root canal work would be.

Have you tried ringing around a few places ..... ?

ETA: Oh! I just remembered. A friend of mine had cause to contemplate root canel work on her dog's canine tooth. I think she told me estimated cost was $1500.00. So as far as that side of things is concerned, perhaps the price quoted to you is the 'norm'.

And Akitaowner - you may well be correct regarding higher difficulty in removal of a canine tooth as opposed to any one of their other teeth. I wasn't thinking about that, which is maybe why I feel $950.00 is a bit steep.

Edited by Erny

your welcome to ring my old vet Ian Russ at 4paws neutral bay to see how much they might charge...hes a very good vet and not the cheapest or most expensive!

as i said i think a canine tooth would be more expensive anyway....

cool, thanks for that!

the canine tooth continues to get wider under the gum that's why it's more complicated and expensive. they have to slice the gum open to remove the tooth.

I paid $316 this year for a canine tooth extraction and castration at the same time for a 22 kg dog.

Wow, that's cheap, where are you based?

Western Sydney and have a good vet at Kellyville.

From the invoice

It was $185 for the castration (this includes the anaethethsia and initial pain killing injection)

Tooth extraction $60

Sutures for the tooth $28.3 (these are special slow disolving ones)

Medications related to the tooth (antibiotics, anti inflamitory and pain killer) $43.4

My pet insurance allowed $240 to be counted as tooth extraction for the claim.

It would probably have been almost as much for just the extraction without the castration.

Edited by Janba

I've had 3 dentals done with my greys in the last 2 years, all with some extractions (only one had a canine removed). Bills were $400-$450.

If the $950 was for both dogs I don't think it's too bad.

Oops! My bad! I missed that part of the OP's post (ie that it was in relation to two dogs). In that case, I don't think the quote is a bad one either.

Thanks for the information on this topic, Lola lost her brand new adult fang at the gum line playing at Christmas with brothers Great Dane playing fast and hard in yard and her new tooth meets a concrete garden edging, we were told to wait for the embedded half to rot for a few weeks to help loosen the root. Have been worried about the price of extraction and the desexing all in one. Again brilliant information :)

Oops! My bad! I missed that part of the OP's post (ie that it was in relation to two dogs). In that case, I don't think the quote is a bad one either.

Nope, it was $950 each. My bad!

I think $950 each is very high for 1 extraction! Mine all had quite a bit done (their teeth weren't in great shape when I got them).

I just had a look back at the bills and the highest was $456.95 and this included multiple extractions, pre-op blood tests ($69), pain meds and antibiotics.

I think $950 each is very high for 1 extraction! Mine all had quite a bit done (their teeth weren't in great shape when I got them).

I just had a look back at the bills and the highest was $456.95 and this included multiple extractions, pre-op blood tests ($69), pain meds and antibiotics.

I agree - $950 is DOUBLE the usual price you'll pay for Dentals.

Our highest price for dentals is $490, and that includes

Pre-meds

Pre-Op Blood test for Kidney function (if old dog or bad kidneys)

Teeth Extractions (Loose ones we don't charge for)

Dental work done with descaler

Oxygen & Anaesthetic gas

Breathing Tube, Catheter, IV Fluids (to prevent things going wrong, and if they did go wrong, we can rectify the situation immediately)

Pain Relief & Antibiotic injection IV before they wake up

Go home on Anitbiotics if necessary (infected pus filled roots of teeth)

Get a printed out quote from the Vet, because I sure wouldn't be paying that much - shop around, and compare prices.

-WithEverythingIAm

A canine is easier to extract than a molar. The root is large but it is conical and there is only one root. Molars generally have 4 roots, have funny shapes and because they are finer are easier to break.

IMO canines should be cheaper or at least the same price as a molar to extract.

if anyone has paid less than $950 for a canine extraction with a vet near where i live, can you PM me please? i'm in the randwick council area of sydney, nsw. if i have to travel too far i'll have to take time off work and i get paid hourly so the savings would be cancelled out by the loss of earnings!