Is Icecream Bad For Dogs?

Its Riley's 6th birthday today and I ran out of time to bake him a doggy cake.

I was just going to get a plain sponge one from the supermarket for him, but OH wants an icecream cake (yes, the dogs birthday is a good excuse for us to have cake! :) )

Would icecrem cake do him any harm? It would only be a small bit, and ofcourse this is a once off thing only.

:) When we are on holidays, visiting OH's mother in Melb, we take the dogs for a trip to Altona Beach and then on the way home, they all get a dipper of Vanilla Ice Cream in a cup each as a treat :):)

Plus, they get to lick the empty ice cream container at home. :)

I always just share a small spoonful of yoghurt/ice-cream with my 2 when I'm having some. 'Daddy' will let them lick his yoghurt tub/lid

Lucky lucky Ripley in getting a Freddo ice-cream cake :) Hope he enjoys it and you better post some piccies :)

Edited by kaywoman68

I'm never allowed to finish my own ice creams. Same with the yoghurt. Very willing helpers always on hand to clean out the tub for me :)

:):rofl: I have a few helpers too!!! I can't remember the last time I had a whole ice cream or yoghurt to myself!!! Actually - they like my mother-in laws greek rice pudding too!!!! ;) :D

Just make sure that you don't feed any CHOCOLATE icecream, or macadamias, or any of the other 'no no' foods for dogs.

Small amounts of icecream should be fine, but due to the fat content and as some dogs are very intolerant of dairy, it should only be an occasional treat.

My dogs seem to disagree with me on that though, and will always try to snaffle our dessert and steal paddle pop sticks etc :)

I occassionally buy a box of home ice-cream ice-blocks - the ones with vanilla ice-cream centre and chocolate coating.

I get to eat the chocolate off the outside (on two ice-creams) and the boys get their own ice-cream to lick off the stick.

They only get them once in a while otherwise they can cause a little tummy upset and give them the runs ... but that wouldn't stop them at all. They love their ice-creams ....

Its Riley's 6th birthday today and I ran out of time to bake him a doggy cake.

I was just going to get a plain sponge one from the supermarket for him, but OH wants an icecream cake (yes, the dogs birthday is a good excuse for us to have cake! ;) )

Would icecrem cake do him any harm? It would only be a small bit, and ofcourse this is a once off thing only.

I hope not, as we give Paris icecream in a cone every day to cool down.

Oh and she had ice cream cake for her first b'day.

Would love some pics.

post-9326-1168418125_thumb.jpg

post-9326-1168418146_thumb.jpg

post-9326-1168418222_thumb.jpg

Edited by birgulparis