My Corgi Isn't A Real Corgi.

bikle

A recent thread in general has gotten me thinking.

Ever since I have had Doug, he hasn't been a big eater.

He doesn't beg for food like I expected a corgi would.

He doesn't really doesn't get excited by meals, and is an extremely fussy eater.

He won't eat kibble at all, even if mixed with his favourite wet foods.

He often vomits saliva as well. I know this is a sign of a hungry dog.. he has done this since we have had him.. and happens quite regularly.

Has had regular vet checks. Recently desexed. All SEEMS fine. Happy little dog that loves his zoomies. Little man is the love of our life..

As recommended by his breeder, I started him on kibble advance puppy for breakfast, rehydratable at night and then puppy milk for supper.

He ate if for a few months and then would eat it no more.

Same happened with the next brand of kibble and the next. Now, he won't touch kibble at all.

I feel as though I have tried all the tricks in the book to get this guy to eat a substantial meal of GOOD food.

- Mixing kibbles with puppy milk/ porridge/ can food.. (in which case he'll eat everything except the kibbles).

- Having alocated feed times - food down for 20 minutes and then removed and binned (so he's always getting fresh food).

- tried different brands (advance rehydratable, advance dry, pro plan, even pal puppy kibbles as an experiment)

I want to eventually feed BARF but wanted to keep him on a good kibble while he was a pup so that he had all the essential nutrients.

I don't know what to do. For the last month he's eating crap Optimum canned food because I can't get him to eat anything dry.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a different tactic to try, or another feeding option? He is 9 months old.

Edited by bikle

Have you tried one of the super premium brands such as Nutro, it is surprising how many fussy eaters will eat Nutro, including my Mum's totally spoilt rotten poodle. :rainbowbridge:

I was going to try Nutro but have not been able to find a place that sells it in WA.

Does anyone know stockists or know anywhere I can buy a small pack online?

Only dogs often are fussy eaters....our old corgi keian, he wouldnt eat his food for aggeesssssss.But as soon as we got another puppy, he had competition and ate it all in a couple of minutes. I would try nutro as well. hope this helps.

before i got him always read that they will eat until they die.... i just imagined him being so much more food orientated then he is.

thanks for the reassurance... just wish I could get Nutro in WA.. trying to find somwhere that stocks it but no luck so far..

Stop giving him variety,at present he is demanding what his eating habits are & every time you change brands you will just get more upset when he doesnt want that either.

He wont starve but he is dictating his eating habits.Single dogs doesnt mean fussy eater at all & not every dog begs & with a corgi being long in back i wouldnt want that to happen anyway.

Try barf & see what happens otherwise you can buy everybrand & until there are no more & he will still pick what he wants.

If he wants the cans just feed him those & switch off,the more you make of it the more the dog enjoys the fuss.

Some dogs just go through the awful eating stages but i gather he isnt skinny so he must be doing well on what hes getting

Our boxer boy Humphrey has always been on a BARF diet, we have never had any problems with him not getting enough nutrience. We give kibble but more as a snack then a full on diet. With BARF if you follow the guidelines for it even growing dogs will have enough nutrience.

As far as good kibble goes you try eagle pack???

I would also suggest NOT changing food all the time :( He is getting an endless smorgasbord!! He knows if he doesn't like it, something else will come along eventually !

Stick with one thing for now, just let him settle into a routine with meals..place, time etc.

When , in a few weeks or whenever you want to switch to BARF...then he has 2 choices only..... :cry:

any pics?

Corgis are appealing , with those ears, and cheeky eyes :rainbowbridge:

Bikle there used to be a place in Canning Vale called CC Enterprise that did mail order for alot of brands. Eagle Pack is one I knew they carried. I can't for the life of me now find them online or in the white pages.

I have an old reciept from them somewhere with contact details. Will go hunting and come back to you.

ETA

I am more organised than I thought :rainbowbridge:. CC Enterprise, 29 Battersea Rd, Canning Vale, ph 9455 1249.

Big kisses to Doug from Raf!

Edited by peigirl

I feed Advance Puppy Growth and Rehydratable dry but I also mix this with cooked beef mince, rice and vegies, tuna, sardines, raw chicken necks/wings/frames.

I have also found that the kids get 'tired' of the same old, same old, so I like to mix it up for them. I know that they are still getting everything they need and gobbling it down as Corgis do :rainbowbridge:

How many meals a day is he having?

if you are giving him milk still stop.

I gave Onslow, as recommended by his breeder, milk every morning and continued on probably well past what his breeder would recommend. A golden retriever you would think would be a guts, nope he wouldn't eat anything, leave his breakfast all day, but would drink the milk.

Stopped giving him milk totally, he started eating. I'm wondering if he was lactose intolerant - all the equivalent in doggy world - and that's why he wouldnt eat. He is a gutz now.

I would also suggest NOT changing food all the time :( He is getting an endless smorgasbord!! He knows if he doesn't like it, something else will come along eventually !

Stick with one thing for now, just let him settle into a routine with meals..place, time etc.

When , in a few weeks or whenever you want to switch to BARF...then he has 2 choices only..... :cry:

any pics?

Corgis are appealing , with those ears, and cheeky eyes :rainbowbridge:

I left him on advance for about 3 months. He ate less and less. I didn't even offer him anything different. He began to lose weight so I had no option but to change food.

It's not as simple as just stopping changing foods. He will stop eating. He has stopped eating for over 3 days before. I can't just not feed him.

cone1.jpg

latest shot of him being a little shiz.

haha. gotta love him.

do you think he looks healthy? when I weighed him at the vet last week he was 11.5kg. corgi's breed standard is 10 - 12kg so i suppose he is on the larger side of average.. ..

i just LOVE him so much i don't want to break him.

Edited by bikle

Bikle there used to be a place in Canning Vale called CC Enterprise that did mail order for alot of brands. Eagle Pack is one I knew they carried. I can't for the life of me now find them online or in the white pages.

I have an old reciept from them somewhere with contact details. Will go hunting and come back to you.

ETA

I am more organised than I thought :rainbowbridge:. CC Enterprise, 29 Battersea Rd, Canning Vale, ph 9455 1249.

Big kisses to Doug from Raf!

Thankyou so much!!

Douglas sends big kisses to Raf back!!

:(

showdog:

Stop giving him variety,at present he is demanding what his eating habits are & every time you change brands you will just get more upset when he doesnt want that either.

He wont starve but he is dictating his eating habits.Single dogs doesnt mean fussy eater at all & not every dog begs & with a corgi being long in back i wouldnt want that to happen anyway.

Totally agree with showdog here...you are letting him dictate to you what he will/won't eat - that's not good! YOU need to decide what you want him to eat and stick to a routine.

bikle: you said that he will starve and it's not just as easy as stopping changing his diet around...

It certainly is, I've dealt with many fussy eaters and believe me, once they've realised you aren't going to play the game of serving up a smorgess board every night - they will eventually eat!

If we have a fussy eater here, they are fed at the same time as everyone else, the same food and if they do not eat it then it gets taken away and they are fed at the next meal time. I had one girl go for 2 days, on the 3rd day she picked at it (at both meal times) and the 4th day she ate it all and never looked back.

We feed alot of RMB's (raw meaty bones) so you could try him on the BARF diet - he might do well on it - just experiment.

It's really import that you stop allowing him to pick and chose, you're making a rod for your own back and one very fussy eater!

JMT

Edited by AZIAH

thanks Aziah. I figure I have been too soft on him.

I just feel terrible cause people have been saying 'bec he's too skinny'.

Other people in my life have had me second guessing myself and making me feel like a cruel b**tch for not giving him the food he wants to eat.

'oh bec, he hates that.. why do u keep feeding it to him.. look he hasn't even EATEN it, when was the last time he ate'

'yesterday morning'

'omg he is so skinny i can feel his ribs, he doesn't like it, feed him something different'

I will put my foot down with the eating and stop giving into the pressure from others.

Thanks for the wake up call guys.

:)

Edited by bikle

Let's not forget that Doug is going through the dreaded growth spurts where he has probably lengthened out and WILL look long and thin. Our 8 month old girl looks shocking at the moment - she's so long and with that appears thin (you can feel her ribs) but she's carrying perfect weight.

Don't stress, maybe throw him a lamb flap a few times a week as well, our guys love them :)