Bad Behaviour Down The Park.

Ruffie

Hi,

Yes I think he is the cutest pup ever and been through a lot see thread http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?showtopic=87560 but for the last 2 days I have had to take him home from the off leash dog park that we have been going to for the last 3 months and where we have made lots of nice friends because of his seriously bad behaviour.

The naughty dog:

I know that he has ridgy in him and they can be quite a handful but maybe this is just normal and I have to work through it.... Firstly he is playing too hard with another dog down there and they go for each others neck all the time which looks pretty bad, admittingly both boys are as bad as each other but mine is getting bigger than the other pup (both 9 months old) so we have keep separating them and watching that they don't hurt each other too much. Then he rolls in the mud (near a water tap) until he is completely covered, covers the other dogs in mud, jumps into the pond bringing his naughty friend with him and refuses to come out, once he does I am chasing him round the park to get him back on the lead. I am always covered in mud walking home and I am so embarrased that other nice dog really people dread it when we turn up, they are lovely but I feel so bad because I know he is a handful and if there is trouble happening I can rely on Rufus to be involved somehow....I really enjoy going there and meeting everyone and so does Ruffie but he had to calm down and stop being the trouble maker! Anyone been through this before - how do you get through it?

Very sad owner! :rainbowbridge:

post-14253-1168855023_thumb.jpg

get him a long line and keep him on it. Any trouble just reel him back in :rainbowbridge:

Until you trust your dog and have good recall you shouldnt let him off. Never chase your dog, it makes recall harder as he sees it as a game to avoid you.

get him a long line and keep him on it. Any trouble just reel him back in :rainbowbridge:

Until you trust your dog and have good recall you shouldnt let him off. Never chase your dog, it makes recall harder as he sees it as a game to avoid you.

yeah I have head about the long line thing - will try that!.

I can't take him there on leash because all the other dogs are off leash and want to play with him, he gets all excited and just wants to play too and my arms get ripped off (I have tried this) and I also get comments from other owners to let him go and get rid of that "excess energy" (yeah but they don't have to get him of trouble and do the walk of shame home!!)

I think I was so upset I forgot about the recall thing, but I actually think he knew he is in seriously big trouble - poor pup!

Thank you for the advise - def need to get more trust with him before we go off leash again... :(

What I do with my guys is...

1. Always have treats/toys on hand.

2. Always call dog, reward, send away, call, reward, send away, etc.

If all you do is call and put your dog on the lead straight away. He quickly works out coming is not much fun. This should be done even at home. Or just cos you love him and want to give him a treat and a hug. The other added bonus is, you soon have a dog that will check in with you. Of his own volition he will come to you, check if you have a treat or something (I suggest you do give him one when he does come without asking), and then leaves to continue his fun and exploration.

3. To quote a famous movie (Monty Python) RUNAWAY. RUNAWAY.

If he has got himself into mischief, don't try to catch him. Make the most exciting noise in the world to get his attention and then runaway like you are off to do something even MORE fun. High Pitched and fun sounding. Okay, everyone will look at you a little strange. But hey, if it means your dogs or another dogs safety...do what works! Maybe take his fav. squeaky toy and squeak it to gain his attention.

To add an embarrassing personal experience, today whilst down the beach. My rather cocky 6mth old Rottie boy (who FIRMLY believes that we are ALL here to rain pats and adoration on him. He can't understand when someone doesn't want to pat him.), was mooching about and bestowing his benediction on all beach users, young, old, canine and non-canine. This pup will go up to ANYBODY, and always calmly without rushing up to them like a silly idiot. Usually susses it out quickly if no one is interested and goes off to find a tasty bit of seaweed. He really doesn't care either way.

Well, we walked past a group of 3 young boys ranging in age from 5 - 7 years. Young Mr 5 year came tearing out of the water towards his Mum. Young Pup sees this and goes up to investigate, Mr 5 lets loose with an unholy cry of sheer terror and takes off like the hounds of hell are after him. Don't reckon I've seen anyone leg it so fast, those chubby legs were pumpin. Puppy thinks this is cooool game, and rather casually lopes off after turbo toddler who is screaming even more manically with panicked Mum in hot pursuit. Puppy has caught up and is loping along without any intent to lick just crusin' with his new friend. I am mortified and embarrassed have raging Mumma Bear after mine and my pups blood, till I let loose with a ear piercing and happy squeal...instant puppy attention...then tear off into a different direction. Puppy then veers off and comes after me...but wait...I'm leaving withOUT him??? When he came, I rained praise on him. Clapped a lead on him and calmed down Mum as I explained that my puppy is not a viscious killer, is very fond of kids and would you like to take the opportunity to let your kid find out in a calm and relaxed manner that not all dogs will bite. Kid was still too terror struck, sadly. And advised Mum that she might need to work on teaching her kids some dog safety...ie DON'T RUN!!!

This IS a dog beach we were on at the time, and well within our allotted offleash time...what can ya do? First time this puppy has elicited such a response and all morning he had been charming other toddlers with his calm, curiosity and willingness to have them crawl all over him. I don't think any of us expected such a terrified reaction and me stoopid pup just thought it was all part of the game. :rainbowbridge:

PS:- I don't actually let my dogs just go up to kids without parental permission, we had actually walked past this group of kids and thought I was outside my pups interest zone. WRONG...Never assume.

As hard as it might be don't let him off the leash until you are sure you can gain some control over him. As suggested, the long leash will help. I know about getting your arms ripped off and obedience for this will sort it out. Take him to a few classes and get the tips and tricks on how to combat this.

Yes he gets muddy and wet but thats the joy of having a dog that is loving life - in the mud. If I had to chose between having a dog that was attacking everyone, being naughty in unacceptable ways (not saying yours is by the way) and him getting muddy, I'd choose mud anyday!!

I know about playing hard. Our pup plays very hard at the moment and he is forever going for the necks and pinning others down, or getting pinned down himself and all the while making the MOST noise!! I don't like it and feel the same as you, I try and separate them but he always seems to prefer some hard playing and mock 'killing' than balls and other normal playing!! I have been told that it's just play and they are not hurting each other but I still don't like to see it.

ATM I wouldn't take my pup to an off leash area and let him off because he would do all of what you described, with the hard playing, not coming back, running off etc. I will tackle an off leash area after some obedience!

DOn't give up or get too upset, he needs to learn and maybe when you have taught him some more, you can try the off leash thing again.

And when people tell you to let him off to get rid of energy, just explain to them and say thanks but no thanks maybe another day. :rainbowbridge:

Edited by Pawprints

Not having a go here but I thought in off leash parks it was still a requirement to have effective control of your dog? I still take my 18 month old on a long line to parks as then I know there can be no accidents. I will allow him free time but only when I am aware of who is around and have done some obedience work. It drives me nuts to take my dog anywhere and have unrestrained and untrained dogs rush in, harrass or be "impolite".

I would follow the advise of the experienced people on DOL and get some obedience training going pronto! There is no magic switch or age at which they understand how to behave (trust me I've seached for the switch). If you have no control then keep him safe and on lead till he is trained.

Your dog needs training, at the moment he's totally out of control and doing what he likes. It's easy for rough play to escalate into something more serious especially between two adolescent males so be very careful. I'd enrol in an obedience club as quickly as possible and until he's learned some manners and a reliable recall I'd be keeping him leashed when you take him to the park.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the advise and funny stories - It was much appreciated! Feeling a lot better today! I bought long leash today and have spent last 2 hours in a quiet park doing recall training with tasty chicken as a treat - yum! I am not going to let him off leash at the dog park until he learns how to behave properly (this could take weeks)....a big loss to him because the dogs had such good fun together!!

Thanks again.

Ruffie

Remember he may be having fun but he is learning no manners & no manners means trouble.

Offleash parks do have requirements & that is the dog is under effective control at all times infact this is a requirement when out in public fullstop.

Its safe to say all he has learnt at present is to go to the park be feral not come when called & do what he pleases.

Its time to go to obedience classes & become the leader & then you will have a dog that is a pleasure at the park .

It will take more than weeks ,he is 9 mths now & hasnt a clue so you now have retrain all the bad manners he has aquired.

Thank you for the advise and funny stories - It was much appreciated! Feeling a lot better today! I bought long leash today and have spent last 2 hours in a quiet park doing recall training with tasty chicken as a treat - yum! I am not going to let him off leash at the dog park until he learns how to behave properly (this could take weeks)....a big loss to him because the dogs had such good fun together!!

Well not really a big loss - not like you are banning him for the rest of his life. And he is probably enjoying the training sessions with you too.

My rotty is 14 months and still runs amok like a loony, however, I can call him and he comes back. 45kg of bounding rotty coming at you is not exactly a calming site if you are walking through the park (local is a common shortcut for commuters)! I was in the same situation as you, and found the techniques described by others with the leash, and the following, worked.

When you get to the stage of being off leash, also randomly place the lead back on for a few minutes and reward your dog the entire time (toys, treats, whatever works), then let your dog off again. That way they learn the leash coming back on is not a bad thing and it doesnt just mean end of playtime.

Your best friend down the park is a squeaky toy. Play with one with your dog at home in the most excited manner, then put it away out of sight/smell of your dog. Then when your dog gets hyper every time you bring it out, take it to the park. As soon as your dog gets up to mischief, give it a good squeak and recall your dog. Stops mine dead in his tracks and he rushes back to me.

The other positive about having the leash is that is warns the other owners. Now when I see a dog on leash in an off leash area, I immediately recall my dog, and either hold him or leash him, just in case (after learning the hard way once). I keep holding my rather excited rotty and let them pass by, or some are training their dogs (just like you) and I leash mine and let them come to my boofhead dog, who by now is soooo excited. They can then be excited boofheads together, but we the owners are in control. If the other owners are sensible (sounds like some are not though from your description of them asking you to let yours join in the fun), they will appreciate your efforts and probably help out in training yours. Just tell people what you are doing, they will understand, as not all dogs are perfect, and maybe some of theirs were loony puppies at one stage as well!

:thumbsup::clap: Sorry but I have such a clear picture in my mind of your cheeky, muddy pup!

Not sure if anyone else said this but don't call him to you if there is any chance that he isn't going to come. To do this is only teaching the dog that it can ignore you.

The first time my old border discovered water I could not get him out. He sat in there for about an hour like a hippo! It was rather funny but frustrating. I think I walked off and left him in the end and he got out once I was out of sight!