How Many Dogs Do You Have?

How many dogs do you have?

I currenty have three dogs, only seriously train two. A pup on the way so will have a lot of work to do there very soon too!

How often do you train etc.

I train agility once a week with both Vizslas. Obedience once a week, concentrating on the older boy's UD work and playing a little with the younger in UD and reminding him of Open. Retrieving I've been slack lately but that is usually every weekend in the field when not trialing and once a fortnight on drills.

Do you find it hard to train all of them?

I find it time consuming, but it's what I enjoy. Currently I am maintaining training more than introducing new things.

What are their rough ages - ie: are some retired, do you have multiple dogs at trialling level?

The trialing dogs are 9 and 4.5. The 9 year old trials lightly in agility and obedience. The 4.5 year old trials in agility, retrieving and very occasionally obedience.

Do you feel that you have enough time for each dog?

Yes. Athough when I get my new pup and begin our field work adventure I suspect I'll spend less time training the other two for a while. However as I mentioned they are at a maintain stage (not to say I couldn't improve what we do!!).

Do you have multiple breeds to train or do you only have the one breed? Any preferences in working style?

I have the two Vizslas that I train and a Whippet. My preference is for gundogs when it comes to training :laugh:

Edited by FHR

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 3, OH has 1 and we have 1 together. but I train her

I do something with them all almost everyday.I'm a big beliver that everything you do when you interact with your dog teaches it something.

OH runs Maggie daily, some times takes some one else too. When I go they always have to do a little something like a heel or a stay before they get to run free. The little two get walked late at night (coz we don't really have two just one lol)

They also get Flyball twice a week. Well 3 do 4 sometimes.

Sometimes I think that the day could be longer and my energy higher oh and DOL not addictive so that I acctully went out and did some one now. :laugh:

What are their rough ages - ie: are some retired, do you have multiple dogs at trialling level?

Bailey 6 in April, Does flyball. Miss Polly 4 in Aug,learning flyball and obdience. Dudley about 5,doesn't do much as he has bad knees. Maggie 4 (I think) Flyball obdience sometimes Flea 10 months Flyball obediance and MANNERS. Oh and I have been doing some lead work with one of the pups who's almost 9 weeks.

Yes, I make time to have indivdual time with each dog even if it's only a few miniutes everyday. A few people have comented that for some one with multipul dogs they all have real individual personlitys

Do you have multiple breeds to train or do you only have the one breed? Any preferences in working style?

Bailey Mini Foxi x JRT he is pretty good does have selective hearing sometimes.

Miss Polly Pure JRT she is very cheeky got her at 10 months she also likes to defy and thinks she should be boss, has that i don't want to you can't make me look. Other times she is an angel.

Dudley is an Old English sheep dog, he is Dumb as ...... It takes hime forever to learn some thing you can not even raise your voice to him or he freaks out. once he has learnd something it sticks for ever and he will do it to get your attention.

Maggie is a Border Collie x she would do any thing to please you and learns pretty quick

Flea Border collie x she was uncontrolable when we first got her but she is so clever. she has a great prey drive and her food drive is good to. I will ob trial with her b/c I think I have finally found a dog that enjoys doing what I ask her too. She will be a champion at flyball too.

HeHe I dont know if this answers or is just an essay LOL

Edited by LilBailey

We have 4 dogs at the moment

Their ages are 7 1/2yrs, 8yrs, 2yrs and 12months (Jess, Otto, Cosmo and Georgie)

The two older dogs don't trial but we maintain a high level of obedience with them as we use them with clients dogs.

The 2 year old will be a great obedience and agility dog and gets trained at least every second day. She has won one trial but then had a break due to a lack of time. (LP- you have met all of these dogs too)

The 12 month old is the latest addition and has some serious issues with men and loud noises so gets trained daily most of the time. She will never trial in obedience but we hope to trial her in agility. She is a Dane x mastiff x staffy and the other 3 are all working dog mixes (heeler, border and kelpie) The 2 year old is a super dog- always has been, so she is quite easy to work with- we do alot of prey/ play drive work during her training. Her only problem at the moment is keeping her under wraps while running an agility course but we'll work on that alot this year. Georgie Is much more difficult because of her issues but she is getting better and should be great in the long run as she is so sensitive and enjoys her work when she understands whats required. She is the much more food motivated than Cosmo so we'll use that alot with her.

It is hard to train all of them when i'm disorganised but easy when i make them a priority and 'book them in' for training. Sometimes i train everyone elses dogs and then am not in the right frame of mind to train my own. But they all get individual time with us and we'll be much more organised this year!

I have 3,

Try each day even if it is in the kitchen cooking tea

Not really I say sit all bums sit I say stay all stay I say drop 2 drop Elka glares (ps needs more training) :laugh:

5 years,3years and nearly 2 years I dont trial as there are no obedience clubs out here

Yep when I am home they are with me on holidays they are with me. Now I have my car set up we are going back to the park for a romp every day

I have 3 GSDs and of course they are the smartest dogs in the world :laugh:

2 Dogs

Formal obedience once a week

Daily in the morning the two are walked together, have a play and a run then work them against each other with distractions.

Then of a night time after dinner they are walked separately each for approx 45 mins each and train down at the local creek.

My GSD boy is harder to get motivated for training, he is very laid back.

15 months and 16 months

It takes alot of work but it will be worth it in the end and each day I make sure I have alone time with the two of them separately.

One GSD boy and a Lab girl.

MrsD has covered her two - I just have the one, which is just as well because ...

I train her nowhere near enough. We go to obedience club once a week and I try to do some training at the weekends, but during the week I just never have (or never make) the time. In an ideal world I would get up early and train her each morning, but in an ideal world I would like mornings. Here in the real world, it is as much as I can do to get up in time to be at work before 9.30. In the evenings, I usually get home too late to do anything in daylight. Maybe I need to rig up a floodlight so I can train at night.

I find it hard to train just the one of them :laugh:

Ebony is 3yrs 4mnths (we were late starters) and is in class three at our obedience club, so just beginning to do the off lead group exercises. When we had our foster dog for a while I was taking him into class 1 first, which was OK, but I reckon it would be hard to have two dogs at the same standard if they were just starting out. If Jarrah goes up to class 3 next month, MrsD will have dogs in coinciding classes and will have to do alternate weeks or half classes or something.

Even with just the one dog, I do not have enough time - it would be easier if I did not have to work :laugh:

This year I am going to try and pull my finger out and get a bit better organised because I want to get her CCD and ET. Maybe I will just have to start liking mornings. :laugh:

Just the GSD.

Apparently, they are extremely intelligent, well focused, enthusiastic and excellent working dogs. If only someone had told Ebony that.

I love her to bits, but I struggle to get her excited - she is very laid back - maybe she caught that from me. When we tried lure coursing, she watched the lure go past, took a few paces after it, realised it was still moving so gave up and trotted off back to the gate to the field. Her recall is at least reasonably enthusuastic - I just need to get her heeling a bit better.

Ooops - another essay reply, just as well I don't have more dogs

Cheers,

DagBoy

Just the GSD.

Apparently, they are extremely intelligent, well focused, enthusiastic and excellent working dogs. If only someone had told Ebony that.

I love her to bits, but I struggle to get her excited - she is very laid back - maybe she caught that from me. When we tried lure coursing, she watched the lure go past, took a few paces after it, realised it was still moving so gave up and trotted off back to the gate to the field. Her recall is at least reasonably enthusuastic - I just need to get her heeling a bit better.

Ooops - another essay reply, just as well I don't have more dogs

Cheers,

DagBoy

Hey Isaviz it's the girls too :laugh::laugh::) We are raising a bunch of lazy buggers here :laugh:

>>

<<

3 dogs

Formal training classes 4 times per week, informal training every day

No

A 7 year old in Obedience and Agility. A 5 year old (import dog) about to enter the obedience and agility rings, and a 10 month old pup who is in training.

I make the time

Only the one breed. It's not about training them, it's about living with them. This is the breed I love to live with.

-I have 3 dogs that I train, but 6 dogs in the house.

-I dont have a training schedual, I just train whenever I have the time, or the dogs are bored and its to cold to go outside.

-not really, sometimes I do the training in the bathroom(I have a very large bathroom lol) so I can have one dog at a time without distractions, and sometimes I just crate the dogs I am not working with, this provides for more noise and distraction and I only use it for the more advanced dogs and for distraction work.

-my girls are 6, 4 and 10 months, so obviously they are at differnt levels lol plus they are all trained in differnt areas, Happy cannot be trialed, she is fear aggressive with strange dogs, only things like Agility and Flyball get her exited enugh to ignore the other dogs, so while she is trained to a high enugh degree to compete in utility, she will never have the oppurtunity to actually do it. my 4 year old cant compete in anything like obedinece do to being intact and not registered, but I do pre-novice fun matches with her all the time. my 10 month old is still in the very early stanges, with her I am mostly just focasing on her show training, once she is finnished I will stop that entirly and focas on Obedience, agility and hunting.

-I do have enuygh time for all 3 but I do tend to just do everything with them together lol

-2 BCs and Toller, I prefer the BCs for training over the toller easy, I mean the BCs, I show them something once and their good to go, but the Toller takes a while lol

3, two IS and one Wiem

Pretty much everyday

Sometimes. The IS focus on field work, the Weim on retrieving. Some of the basic work can be done in the yard, footy ground etc, but that's limited, you quickly need to get out in the paddocks, which can be time consuming. Rarely do you find good training water next to good quail paddocks, so you have move around a bit. It certainly cuts into the time I spend with my wife and doing other stuff. It's not too bad at the moment (we're very luck with where we live), but I'm about to start a new job with more traveling, which is going to cut into my training time. I suspect I'm going to have to take the dogs to work with me, and train them on the way to/from work, else it will be too dark.

2.2, 2.2, 3.5, Plan to trial all of them this year.

Enough, yes, but certainly could use more. If I only had one dog, I'd be closer to it. Having 3 you do have to share around the love, which would all be focused on one dog if that's all you had

Yes, IS and Weim. I prefer the field work and the goofy high energy nature of the IS. Still getting to know the Weim, but he's defiantely "more serious" than the IS. He can be a stubborn SOB at times, and I prefer a more biddable dog. I do enjoy the "technical" aspects of Retriever training, plus it's a lot more social (I train twice a week with friends, field I mostly train alone), it's also much easier to find good retriever training grounds close to home, good quail paddocks often require a lot of driving to locate.

Edited by Working_Setters

Just one of my own at the moment.

Several times a day.

Since I have only the one right now, not at all. However, I'm planning on getting another dog in the next year or two, and chances are it will be considerably harder to have two dogs (since my current dog can be extremely dog aggressive when he thinks he can get away with it, there's a reasonable chance that the two dogs will have to be completely seperated when I'm not actively supervising them).

Nearly 8 years old. I got him at 4 years old with behavioural issues, so he only has his CGC so far. I'm just starting to get him into tracking and obedience trialling, so hopefully we'll be able to compete a little before he's too old.

My next dog will likely be a different breed (at the moment I'm leaning towards a german or belgian shepherd), but I'll probably get another shelter staffy as a pet when I lose my SBT. He's just so much fun - very confident, loves absolutely everyone, and is always on the go. :laugh:

WOW - thanks for everyone's responses (Keep them coming!). It is really interesting to hear what everyone thinks and how they incorporate training. Now that i've settled into the whole 'multi-dog' thing, I have found it reasonably easy to have enough time for them (maybe even too much!). I love hearing everyone elses responses - seems that most of us have between 2-4 dogs though :laugh:

Cosmolo - have I met you and your dogs before??? Where? When? LOL! I have met so many people on DOL that I didn't even know I knew :mad .... s'mon - spill the beans :eek:

Five. One is retired, nearly 13!!!! Still wants to work, but she suffers from arthritis, so she just has fun retrieves and fun obedience. Two, just turned 5 years of age. Two, nearly 2 years of age.

Every day. I also drive 3 hours, twice a week to train.

Sometimes when it is very hot or very cold (for me). The dogs are fine, they are dried when it is cold, the swum during training when hot. Me, I freeze, get wet or sweat.

Two at All Age. Two at novice/restricted.

Yes, because I do not work for a living, have no human children and a very good husband.

One breed Labradors. High working desire is an absolute requirement.

May I also add, two thoughts which come to mind regarding this topic. Inexperienced people tend to make the same mistakes when they own multiple dogs, particularly if training to a high standard. Inexperiened people also tend to compare their dogs currently in training. Each dog is a little different (my four in training are very very different), no matter if they are same breed.

As K9 force, has added in various threads, and one I had never previously put into his words- HIGH DRIVE AND GOOD NERVES are vital to achieve a high standard.

2 Doggies

Every Day

Solly, no I train him in all sorts of disciplines - endurance for Lure coursing, canine musical freestyle, agility, canine frisbee. With Stella, nothing competetive at the moment, just tricks, as she has ruptures both her cruciate ligaments and has had 3 operations on one leg, so she is in no shape to do anything physical, not yet anyway.

Solly - going to be 3 soon - getting into his prime, maybe in about a year or two, Stella - going to be 5, has never been in her prime. When she could compete, she was too young, but now with both her legs ruptured, she can't even go for a walk right now.

No, I wish I could have more. I train in the evenings and walk in the morning, and bike Solly (for endurance) 3 times a week. I would love to be able to train when it's light!!

Stella is a dalmatian cross and Solly is a ridgeback cross, from the pound. He is extremely motivated sometimes (heh..), especially when we train with discs, his prey drive really kicks in. He cannot (EVER) be punished, as he was abused as a pup, and sees this as the end of the world, he cowers and cries, so I have to be extremely positive with him. Stella LOVES learning tricks and could do it forever, but she wishes she could play frisbee, poor thing.

I don't focus on obedience.

They know the basic commands, but now I don't think I'm going to trial either of my dogs. I can clearly see that the do not enjoy obedience work - then what's the point?

If I compare the way Solly acts in training for musical freestyle with obedience, he sometimes gets so excited in freestyle that he starts spinning aroundn and doing everything I've taught him before I say a word, he even gives me 100% attention in freestyle heeling, because it's fun. In obedience he drags himself along, and so does Stella.

Frisbee speaks for itself

=]

2 doggies

Umm should be everyday! If I have something I am working towards then I do everyday, if not I slacken off a bit but do random training all the time i.e a recall whilst going to get the washing in!

Only 'train' one at a time. Usually retire one before I get the next pup.

Fern is 11yo and is retired. I do the odd bit of training with her as she loovesss it!

Brock is 11 months.

The age difference and fitness levels has caused issues with walkies. Fern just can't manage walkies (has an injury) but hates being left at home.

Yep. But as above it is a bit tricky juggling different exercise needs. I like having 2 though as you can pat both at the same time!

Am border collie obsessed!

2 dogs

Try to have a short session every day. Used to take them to obedience (passed puppy and beginners). Class time for intermediate is too late for us :p so we stopped going

Orson and Oi are about 21 months old (turn 2 in April) - they're 2 weeks apart

No I dont but OH concentrates on one and I concentrate on another when we do.

only the 1 breed - Cocker Spaniels :laugh:

How many dogs do you have? Two

How often do you train etc. Gem is retired so only "trains" for fun and exercise daily, Lawson trains twice daily or more

Do you find it hard to train all of them? No, as they are at different ends of the spectrum

What are their rough ages - ie: are some retired, do you have multiple dogs at trialling level? Retired ( 13 yo)and Class Two (15months old)

Do you feel that you have enough time for each dog? definitely

Do you have multiple breeds to train or do you only have the one breed? Any preferences in working style? I have have ACD's in the past, Gem is an ACD and now we have Lawson who is a Koolie. Koolies are more switched onand have a definitive on/off mode to work, ACDs take time to settle from play to work, you cannot ge tthem too revved up before training. Koolies revel in the sudden switch to work or play mode and back agian..its a dynamic part of their training and keeps them occupied and focussed.

Edited by Alpha

LP- Thought that might spark your curiosity! We worked for ADT and WPK when you did the course. We remember spunky Leo too. Maybe the photos on our website would jog your memory!

LOL - Now I know who you guys are! Hi :rofl:! LOL - can't hide from anybody on DOL :rofl:.