Advice On Puppy Health Before I Buy . Please Please.

frank

we have found a puppyt 9 weeks old it is a male labradore x golden retriever. it's temperament seems fine it looks a little undersize. its coat looks good teeth legs etc . but i am concerned about a couple of issues which people more in the know than i could advise me on . please reply asap . as my wife and kids want to buy tonight.

the 1st thing is i noticed it's front leg has been shaved and a needle mark . the petshop told me it has that because the dog was hard to vaccinate in the neck so they vaccinated it in the leg. IS THIS THE TRUTH ??? WHY WOULD THE LEG HAVE TO BE SHAVED .?

THE 2ND ISSUE IS . I'M NOT SURE ABOUT ITS EYES . it has tears about 1cm long each eye . which makes it look abit maltese terrior ish. i dont know if this is normal for a retreiver or an eye problem . it looks like the bhair is actually dark brown there . COULD THIS BE A FEATURE/ OR A STAIN .??? or does it mean eye problems ????

it's eye balls look ok . but are slightly bloodshot . again i'm not sure if this is normal for a puppy. compared to some purebreed labradores the same age in another pet shop . he is smaller , has a more scruffy coat , and doesn't look as well presented . the other 2 labradores i have seen look absolutely perfect to me . but my wife and children prefer the x breed we are looking at . i have seen it's sister too in another shop , she looks lethargic. but the male we are loooking at seems healthy enough

but i'm so concerned about the eyes . please help with some opinions . ta.

The only words of advice I could give you are RUN AWAY!

Vaccination in the leg instead of the back of the neck??? Too hard to give the vaccination in the scruff of the neck?? What a load of cow droppings.

Typically a dogs leg is shaved when an IV is inserted - this dog has most likely had an IV, possibly either due to illness or to being given anaesthetic for some reason.

The eyes do not sound normal. I'm wondering if entropian and ectropian are issues in Labs and Goldys?

Are you aware that Labs and Goldens should be x-rayed to be confirmed clear of hip dysplasia before being used for breeding? It is almost certain that this will not have been done for the parents of these puppies.

Sorry - but it sounds like this pup is just waiting to bring in huge vet bills.

Stay away from unethical breeding practices - including buying BYB cross bred pups from a pet shop. Otherwise, you're just asking for trouble....

ETA: I note you've already been advised on this forum to steer clear of pet shop puppies - obviously that was not advice you were interested in receiving?

Edited by Allerzeit

Do NOT buy this pup. From your previous posts I see you were recommended some very good advice. Did you take any notice of it all Frank?

If you buy a pup from a petshop you have no idea what health issues are in it's lines and may be heart broken down the track when diseases such as hip and elbow dysplasia show up, the dog may be crippled and needing very expensive surgery at a young age, and there is also PRA to consider, meaning the dog may go blind at an early age.

It sounds very odd to me that a vet could not vaccinate in the neck scruff. It seems the pup may have had blood tests for some reason if it's leg has been shaved, so it is probably already ill in some way.

Please, Please PLEASE buy from a registered breeder who has HEALTH TESTED their dogs, can prove parentage and will provide a lifetime of support for you and the dog.

Out of interest, how much are they going to charge you for this pup?

Frank do NOT buy this puppy.

That pup has been on an IV for sure. You do not need to shave a dog to give an intramuscular injection. You shave a dog to find a vein. Vaccinations are intramuscular.

Red eyes and tear stains spells eye problems. Retrievers definitely can have entropian. Not sure about ectropian.

This is a cross of two breeds that can suffer from elbow and hip problems. You have no idea about what their parents health was like.

Regardless of all of this, you will be lining the pockets of a pet shop and a back yard breeder.

Either do your homework and buy a registered purebred retriever or go and save a nice crossbred from the pound or rescue.

This puppy is heartache waiting to happen.

Edited by poodlefan

Run away, really fast

a pet shop puppy could be any breed, you have no way of checking out its parents

Are you going ot believe a sign that says this is a " such and such" surely you have more brains than that

How much is this puppy, if you look in the punds and shelters you will find many dogs like this one that for a fraction of the price and have been health tested and have had ALL vet work done

The whole vaccination thing sounds very suss to me, ring a vet and ask them

Also I am not sure about the pups eyes

But why would an intelligent man like yourself buy a sick puppy

You will only cause your children heartbrake when they see their puppy sick and in need of vets attention

You dont know what this pup is, Please dont buy it, Please take you time to buy a pup you know is from sound breeding

Remeber the petshop people will tell you anything just to get the $$$$$

Why the hurry this weekend

yeah your right guys . thanks for the advice . and advice will be taken . i guess this means i'm looking for a breeder . please pm . if there are any who want to sell a pu within 2 hours from sydney . cheers.

the price is 695 $ the sister in the other shop is 799. and the 2 labs 850 each

i must say though looking at the labradore pups. they are the healthiest looking pups i've seen fullstop . i think i'd buy one if the wife would let me . but regarding th x breed i'm taking your advice . thanks. we are not comfortable paying prices like this wiothout having a choice of litter , and veiwing the parents anyhow .

Thanks goodness you and your wife have both seen the sense in not purchasing from a pet shop where you will get nothing but endless trouble health wise from any crosses which they may sell.

There are breeders of both the dogs you are after advertising puppies on this site, here are the links.

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/puppie...r-retriever.asp

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/puppie...n-retriever.asp

Good luck and STAY with a registered breeder who health tests their dogs.

Great Job Frank

If you are adding to your family you want to make sure who you add is the best memeber for you and the rest of the household

You children might fdrive you insane while you are waiting but better know than having a sick puppy, that you know could of been avaoided

thanks . i'll do some more research and take my time . the last thing i want to do is put a young dog down . at the same time dont want to miss good oportunities . i'll keep you's all postred cheers . oh and i'm not going to buy the dog .

Please tell me that you have run away from this puppy as fast as you could???? If it has been to the vet for treatment, it should not be back in the window so soon...

If its sister is in another shop there is a good chance that they have been left in the window too long and are moving them around the franchise to make the sale... The longer they remain in the fish tank the more little psycholical problems they and ultimately you end up with, Myf has just started to have the confidence to lift her ears when she trots about.. and that is nearly 5 weeks since we got her...

Go a purebred... we are for the next one (which wont be for a LONG LONG TIME). :mad

Hiya Frank, please don't rush into this decision - a new family member for the rest of its life can easily be 15 years +, so you really want to take your time to make sure its the one for you. Don't just go on looks alone - it's what's inside that counts as far as health is concerned.

If you're having trouble convincing your wife, get her to read some of the replies to your threads and ask lots of questions to become better informed! There are MANY good reasons why folks here say what they're saying - it's from personal experience and knowledge of their breeds.

You WILL find the right pup for the right reasons, providing you do it right!

Good luck!

Hi Frank... Sounds like your wife and kids like the look of the cutsie ball of fluff but keep in mind this may not be best for your lifestyle. Sounds as if you like the Labrador if so do more research on the breed and tell your wife about the pros and cons of this breed. It turns out it may not be well suited to your family but you need to do the research. Now you have realised that a purebred pup is best you need to look not only for a breed well suited to your family but also do your own research into breeders. You said PM anyone willing to sell a pup within 2 hours of sydney. Most breeders would be willing to sell a pup anywhere as long as your meet their criteria so the best way to go about this is to do your own research. You say you don't want to miss any opportunities? Do this correctly and no impulse buying and you will find your perfect pup.

I want to hear WHY they want a GRxLab? the two are similar, why cross them from some backyarder and get pot luck?

There are so many puppies out there you are not missing out. Missing out would be something like finding an ethical breeder who uses dogs with fabulous hip scores and health tests doing a once off mating and there are no pups left to purchase. THAT is missing out. Leaving a pup in a pet store window with no health tests (and being blatantly lied to and ripped off) is being smart.

Be careful of Labs in pet stores, they are mixes that look labrador at puppyhood and grow up all sorts of things. Get a pedigree with papers, health tested parents, breeder backup and the knowledge there is somone to call if things may go wrong instead of forking out up to a grand for probable heartache

BTW for future reference - vacinations only go under the skin. NEVER in a vein. Always choose a pup with clear eyes, pink healthy gums and teeth, no diarhhea, vomiting and lethargy. If its stomach is huge as well it may have a worm burden in there. Patchy, dry and dull fur means insufficient nutrition or a skin infection.

Get the vaccination certificate that has a vets contact details as well, and your pedigree papers which will have the microchip barcode sticker on it too. Make sure the pup has been adequately wormed, should be every two weeks whilst on the mother.

Edited by Nekhbet

Frank,

Seeing that you and your family only live at Penrith, why don't you go out to Erskine Park tomorrow and have a look at the Australia Day show that is being held? There are sure to be quite a few labrador and golden retriever breeders there who you can talk to and see their dogs. You will also be able to see pups from 3mths old & up to see how these dogs grow.

Just remember to ask before patting any of the dogs and make sure that the owners are not getting ready to go in the ring. We all love talking about our respective breeds. Am sure both breed clubs have puppy listings & will be able to tell you if there are any puppies available.

Good luck and glad that you have made the choice NOT to buy a pet shop puppy. As everyone has said, there is no need to shave a leg to give a puppy vaccination. Would hate for your kids to go through the trauma of watching their new pup get ill.

Ditto what everyone else has said. A friend of mine bought a GR puppy from a pet shop (despite my warnings) and at 12 weeks he was diagnosed with Hip Displaysia. HD would normally not show itself for months - even years - so to turn up at 12 weeks, well you can imagine how bad it was. By this point, he was thoroughly in love with the pup and has since spent thousands of dollars on surgery to try and help him.

Spending more on a health tested, pedigree puppy will give you peace of mind and probably save you hundreds, or even thousands in the future. You will have a pup who is healthy and have the constant support and guidance of the breeder. Good luck. :laugh:

Hey Frank, good idea on asking for advice b4 rushing 2 get the pup at the pet shop. Just a Idea im not sure if they do it where u live but some places i have heard of do it.. If you check out the guide dogs place i heard that they sell labs that are not 100% good enough to be guide dogs but still make great pets. Hope u find ur puppy soon :laugh:

Hey Frank, good idea on asking for advice b4 rushing 2 get the pup at the pet shop. Just a Idea im not sure if they do it where u live but some places i have heard of do it.. If you check out the guide dogs place i heard that they sell labs that are not 100% good enough to be guide dogs but still make great pets. Hope u find ur puppy soon :laugh:

THANKS . i cant convince my wife on labradores . she wants a golden retreiver . but i'm learning to be patient . also love cockerspanials , i'll start a thread on this cheers.

the 1st thing is i noticed it's front leg has been shaved and a needle mark . the petshop told me it has that because the dog was hard to vaccinate in the neck so they vaccinated it in the leg. IS THIS THE TRUTH ??? WHY WOULD THE LEG HAVE TO BE SHAVED .?

Oogh ah. What a big fat fibber!! Had a drip in for sure. Parvo? Tummy bug? Why can't these cretins in pet shops tell the truth? Spose they make less sales that way.

THE 2ND ISSUE IS . I'M NOT SURE ABOUT ITS EYES . it has tears about 1cm long each eye . which makes it look abit maltese terrior ish. i dont know if this is normal for a retreiver or an eye problem . it looks like the bhair is actually dark brown there . COULD THIS BE A FEATURE/ OR A STAIN .??? or does it mean eye problems ????

Probably - shouldn't have tear stains at that age, and the bloodstained eyes are a problem.

You could spend zillions on this dog, after you purchased it - in vet's fees.

And - anyone who wasn't upfront with me about a dog I was buying would be shafted very fast.

Have you gone off a cocker?

Oogh ah. What a big fat fibber!! Had a drip in for sure. Parvo? Tummy bug? Why can't these cretins in pet shops tell the truth? Spose they make less sales that way.

Probably - shouldn't have tear stains at that age, and the bloodstained eyes are a problem.

You could spend zillions on this dog, after you purchased it - in vet's fees.

And - anyone who wasn't upfront with me about a dog I was buying would be shafted very fast.

Have you gone off a cocker?

agreed and thanks, no i haven't gone off a cocker . we purchased today from a breeder. and i owe it to the people here that i did buy from a registered breeder . thanks everyone . the advice , papers, certificates, veiwing of the parants, and time we were given on site to pic one + the bath before pickup, dog border, cards, and petcare procedures and dates to follow up with , are simply unreplaceable . also the presents for the pup to go on pickup, and tearfull cuddle to the pup from the breeder made the experiance all worth it . cheers .

i have added 4 photos of bailey . on page 54 of the PHOTOS THREAD . " COCKER PICS "

Congratulations!!

Here's a picture of The Best Cocker Spaniel In The World - known here as TBCSITW -he congratulates you too!! May you have years of happiness and pleasure with your cocker.

post-438-1169986780_thumb.jpg