"best" Brand Of Dog Food For Your Pet?

each dog we have has different results on the different brands though I have found that all seem to do well on Advance & Eukanuba...

I refuse to feed science diet (but thats for political reasons ...) and I havent tried Innova so I cant comment on that brand...

Advance is good, imho - and Innova, excellent. I found Science Diet tended to give mine the green runs :rofl: and Euk is ok, but I think Innova is better. Royal Canin, Nutrience, Nutro of the ones I have used are also ok.

If you are only feeding dry, use a premium brand. However, Cavs do tend to get bored with dry food.

I won some Pro Plan for sensitive stomache/skin - it contains fish. My dogs really thrived on it and will definately buy more in the future. I also like advance. Try and add bones too. I have heard a couple of people who like Nutro but don't think it is even available for sale where I live

I have heard a couple of people who like Nutro but don't think it is even available for sale where I live

Unfortunately yes, there is limited availability of Nutro in Australia but it is spreading :rofl: A couple of the online stores now stocking Nutro do ship interstate etc. if interested it would be worth contacting them to find out.

Can't remember the details but if you do a search on Nutro these sites have been listed before.

happystarz - at the end of the day I'd be initially feeding what the breeder was feeding. If you don't like the results you can gradually change your little one over to something else. At the end of the day we all have our opinions on what is good & bad and that is what it is 'peoples' opinions' some can be backed up with facts - others can not but different dogs/different breeds all do well in different foods.

For example my MIL has a border collie whom she feeds (in my opinion) one of the cheapiest, nastiest supermarket foods available. This is something I would NEVER feed my dogs and I cringe when she talks about it but you know what?? Her dog looks fantastic and because of that we can't convince her to change foods ... Go Figure :rofl::laugh:

Like everyone said it's what your individual dog does well on. I have a friend with a black lab, full of energy, shiny, shiny black coat, never sick, perfect weight. My OH was so impressed with it's condition he asked what it was fed. Owner laughed :rofl: and said PAL.

Like everyone said it's what your individual dog does well on. I have a friend with a black lab, full of energy, shiny, shiny black coat, never sick, perfect weight. My OH was so impressed with it's condition he asked what it was fed. Owner laughed ;) and said PAL.

PAL here as well, same sort of comments - well PAL and then whatever we are eating or whatever we wanted to eat and was on the griller (dogs out of the house).

Never had a problem with it.. as I am suburb bound, thats all I can get home delivered at this point in time.

Dogs are healthy, good weight, nice stools and never off their food.. :thumbsup:

Like others have said- it's what your dog does best on.

I've done heaps of research over the last couple of years into diet (good diet's very crucial for a Mastiff) and IMHO I believe that the best foods out there are easily:

Eagle Pack Holistic

Royal Canin

Innova

and my personal fav by far..

Dick Van Pattens Natural Balance. <--- this food is practically perfect.

Different breeds need different things. For me the Mastiff specific things I'm looking for are low protein and low fat levels.

For all breeds:

-Nonspecific meat sources.

-Byproducts are a big no-no.

-Corn is just a filler. Your dog will poop more and digest much less of the food. I'd avoid this like the plague.

-Soy

They're the things I will avoid at all costs.

Here's a link to a great way to grade your dog food: http://mastiffonline.com/modules.php?name=...pic&t=13526

-Elise

eta: I can't believe everyone gets their Eagle Pack so cheap! I can't find it anywhere here in Perth for under $113 for the Holistic range. and for the normal range it's $100+

Edited by snarferama

I've been feeding BARF for a few years but before that I used to feed Innova. I think it is one of the best quality commercial foods, however my dilema was about where it came from. As far as I know you can only get it from Pet's Paradise and I used to hate giving them my money.

Guest kitakins
I've been feeding BARF for a few years but before that I used to feed Innova. I think it is one of the best quality commercial foods, however my dilema was about where it came from. As far as I know you can only get it from Pet's Paradise and I used to hate giving them my money.

thats why i stopped buying it. i used to feed my cat innova and healthwise but in the end i thought stuff it. for starters they overcharge and i felt that i could still feed them something good and not support PP.

Same problem with Innova and Pets Paradise for me! :rofl: I decided against buying from them in the end. I feed Ollie (also a cav puppy) Nutrience small breed puppy and lots of extras like chicken necks, blended veggies, natural yogurt, beef mince, raw eggs and fish! :rofl:

Edited by -Doglover-