Goodbye Blondie 1980 - 2007

SpikesPuppy

Blondierainbow.jpg

Yesterday, on the 31st of January, we did it. We said goodbye to Blondie Bear for the final time.

When we arrived at the paddock just before 9am, Blondie was there to greet us at the gate. I wanted to cry as soon as I saw him. I wanted to hug him. But in true Blondie form, he whinnied, tossed his head and trotted away. I followed. We ran the entire boundary fence of the 6 acre paddock, sometimes he broke into a smooth Canter, but he never got ahead of me. We just ran together, it was the most amazing thing I have ever done with him. I think he knew this was the last time he would see me and he wanted me to remember it forever.

After our run, he stopped at the shelter and came over to me. I hugged him and put his halter on. Then led him to his feed bucket where he had a special meal of his favorite foods.

I trimmed some of his mane, which I will wash and braid.

I also told him to find my Chase, and too look after her.

About 45 minutes later it was time. The men were there. They took some convincing to let mum and I watch but we stood firm (not to mention we've both seen it many a time before, and I've even done it myself!). I watched him go down. For a second I gasped but then I was oddly calm. Knowing that he was free. Young again, with a flowing mane and tail, no arthritis or stiff joints. All the lush green grass he can handle.

I will miss him like crazy, he was my first pony, and even though he was always a bit small for me, I stuck with him. he was safe. He wasn't the most affectionate pony (likely having had some abuse in the past) but he had trust in me. He was a true gentleman, even when completel beginners rode him, arms and legs flailing about he was steady and put up with anything, even absurd costumes and reindeer antlers, easter bunny ears etc.

Anyone could ride him but no one had the same partnership I did with him. He moved differently when I rode him, lighter and free-er. I could gallop him anywhere and feel safe. I could open and close gates, jump, barrel race and flag race with him. He could also do many Dressage moves. Dressage and showing with some games were his favorite. he wasn't much of a jumper but he gave it his all.

When I first got him, he was a difficult floater. With some time and patience, I could have him on the float in a second with one word. No lead or rope was needed.

His one major flaw was his dislike of dogs. He would lunge at dogs given the chance. He didn't seek them out, but if they came near him, he was not happy.

A few weeks after I had him, I took him on a 20 k Navigation Ride. Nothing on that journey fazed him at all. Not even a cardboard sign flying into his face.

He was competitive in Pleasure and Pony Club classes, he was also competitive in Show Hunter.

I could have sold him for a small fortune if I chose to. The offers were there.

There will never be another one like him and I am the luckiest person to have had him in my life.

Thank you, Blondie. Run free and without pain.

Edited by SpikesPuppy

Ohh SP - there is nothing like the love of a horse only thing that comes close is the love of a dog.

I have been through this several times also and can share in your pain........Big hugs to you...treasure your memories.

RIP Blondie run free and easy at the Bridge and roll in all the lovely fresh never ending grass & clover there. :cry:

So sorry SP ive been following you rother thread and my thoughts were with you all day Wednesday i feel your pain as though i only lost my boy Duke yesterday. I too took some mane and when i can save up i will be getting something from Damien Maloney as that way i can truly have Duke with me always.

You have created a wonderful tribute for Blondie Bear here and his memory will live on with you until the day you can run together at the bridge again - until then think of him in is heavenly heard with all the other beloved horses that have gone before - they truly know how to put a big hoofprint in with the little pawprints on our hearts.

If you have some photos online of Blondie id be happy to create a tribute for him on youtube if you would like.