Cat Poo Eating Puppy

Zelahi

Our new little puppy Charlie loves eating the cats poo from their kitty litter. Everytime they use it his ears prick up and he starts sniffing (even though its located at the other end of the house), he will then run down and eat it. We can't close the door or else the cats will have an accident but we have tried grwoling at him for doing it... taking it out of his mouth ..everything. Has anyone else had this problem or have any suggestions about what we can do?

I've never owned a dog that didn't love cat poo, they find it totally irresistable :rofl: Can you put the litter up high where the cats can jump up to it, but the dog can't reach it? Other than that.......well it'll save you cleaning the litter tray :D :rofl:

My friend's dog used to do the same thing with Milo's tray - he also used to rummage around in the garden for Milo's and any other neighbour cats' poo - not always easy to stop this one. It is to do with the very high protein content in the cat poo. Only harm is the really smelly breath!

Lol, its good to hear that my pup isnt alone.. I actually never though of putting the box up high (stupid me ;) ) ill do that first and see how i go. I really thinknig of getting a baby gate too though as he also likes eating the cat food which is also in the same room. thanks guys :(

If you make sure you feed you cats high quality foods than you should get alot less poo. Mine only uses the litter tray every second day and is small and hard and not too smelly. quick and easy to clean up. Much better than when fed on cheaper products. (Eukanuba hairball formula and raw mince at night, works best for my girl).

We also have put into place a baby gate, the cats food and poo are safe. Works well.

;) However, our pup (8 mths) will go into the back yard and get one of his own poos and eat it ;) (he has plenty of his own food! So he is not hungry) My boys have the job of 'poop scoop' each evening before their shower, so any poop is not there long and I have only caught him at it a couple of times...but oooouuuuwwwww! I have never heard of a dog eating his own poop!

Sorry to change the topic a little. :(

Any ideas?

Yes, Charlie has been trying to eat other dogs poo as well :( its a little frustrating but he is slowly learning that its yucky ;)

I use to feed my cats whiskas but on monday changed them to royal canin so i cant wait to see the results

Yes, Charlie has been trying to eat other dogs poo as well :( its a little frustrating but he is slowly learning that its yucky ;)

I use to feed my cats whiskas but on monday changed them to royal canin so i cant wait to see the results

I have recently changed my cat to Royal Canin, so far I am very happy with it...although it took a little while to change her over from Supercoat because I did not want to upset her tummy. Previously she was eating a combination/mix of Purina one and optimal (I think that is the name of it).

Kai is not a big dry food eater but I have him on Royal Canin as well.

We also have put into place a baby gate, the cats food and poo are safe. Works well.

:D However, our pup (8 mths) will go into the back yard and get one of his own poos and eat it :) (he has plenty of his own food! So he is not hungry) My boys have the job of 'poop scoop' each evening before their shower, so any poop is not there long and I have only caught him at it a couple of times...but oooouuuuwwwww! I have never heard of a dog eating his own poop!

Sorry to change the topic a little. :laugh:

Any ideas?

I'd never had a dog poo eating hound before, plenty of other kinds but not dog. However, the last two generations?

Yyyeeerrrkkkk....

I tried to pick it all up before letting them out, but they still found some from somewhere. Didn't matter who's it was either, and this was with them on raw diet!!!!

FORTUNATELY...it seems to be developemental. And they have outgrown it.

Hmmm....Always wondered why their whelping box was so clean........

ETA...some things you can try....Protexin, Thrive D, Enzyplex, Pineapple. You used to be able to get a product called Bromelain from the health food store...it's a component of pineapple. That stuff worked a TREAT!

Edited by Rottsaroundtheclock

Mithci did it heaps when she was really small...dog poo eating that is.

I taught her what 'ahhhh yuk' means.

She now does not look at it.

Only bird, cat adn other ikky stuff.

The cat poo she sneaks fromt eh litter tray when we forget to close the laundry door..little brat!

My chi's would hear the cats using the covered litter tray and rush to it. They would then wait patiently :rolleyes: until my cats had finished and then clean up after them!! ;)

Only solution i could think of was using the bathtub! The OH loves that! :rofl:

Kitty poo = Doggy caviar!!!

I have found that squirting my dogs with a spray bottle deters them when I am around to see what they're up to. But failing that, keeping the litter tray clean works pretty well too.

Outside is a bit more difficult but most cats in this neighbourhood are smart enough to stay out of my backyard and as my dogs rarely venture out the front without a human they don't get to find the treasure!

Friends of mine built a really good kitty litter cupboard which has a door opening built into the side relatively high up that the cats can get into but small enough that the dogs can't. They open the door to change the litter and the cats can do their business in peace.