Beagle Puppy Troubles

beaglenewb

Hi

I finally recieved my new beagle. When I picked him up from the airport he seemed all quiet and tired and slept on the car trip. When we got him home he began to explore and we bathed him since he had poo all over him. Then for the next 2 hours his energy level jumped and we were left with a super active dog. He became nippy and we gave a firm No and sometimes he would listen while other times he was oblivious to my commands !!

Please Help Me ! He bagan yelping and we did what people said, ingnore him and he stopped. I want a nice trained obedient beagle !! Puppy preschool is not for another 3 weeks. What can I do to keep him occupied while I am at work 8:30-3pm ? How do I get him to poo in one spot ? How do I stop him from being hyperactive ? How do I stop him biteing everything ?

Please help. He is so cute but is proving hard. He is a fast learner when he wants to be.

Just got him today lol.

Beaglenewb

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations on your new puppy !!! Firstly how old is it.

All I can recommend is be consistent with the biting and the toilet training, there are heaps of threads on here about that !!!

And remember it is a BABY and this is a really frightening and excting time for it.. so persevere. Is there anyway you could get leave for a couple of days to help him settle in??

A nice tranined obedient beagle? Ahhh might be a little while yet. :D

Hi Beaglenewb

We got our beagle puppy yesterday too. I would also describe ours as hyperactive, I think it is just the breed. He is also biting and yelping a bit. Last night he was yelping and we did leave him and he went to sleep.

Good luck.

Shel

Hi beaglenewb,

Congrats on your new puppy. Remember he is exploring a whole new world, he's left his mum and littermates, has the whole new crazy human language and rules to learn. The best advice is to be consistant and patient, lots of rewards for doing the right thing. We have had our puppy for 5 weeks and it has been a time of learning for all of us getting to know each other and teaching him the rules of the house, he still has nippy days but they are less than before. Keep us posted.

Cheers, Heidley

Hi

I finally recieved my new beagle. When I picked him up from the airport he seemed all quiet and tired and slept on the car trip. When we got him home he began to explore and we bathed him since he had poo all over him. Then for the next 2 hours his energy level jumped and we were left with a super active dog. He became nippy and we gave a firm No and sometimes he would listen while other times he was oblivious to my commands !!

Please Help Me ! He bagan yelping and we did what people said, ingnore him and he stopped. I want a nice trained obedient beagle !! Puppy preschool is not for another 3 weeks. What can I do to keep him occupied while I am at work 8:30-3pm ? How do I get him to poo in one spot ? How do I stop him from being hyperactive ? How do I stop him biteing everything ?

Please help. He is so cute but is proving hard. He is a fast learner when he wants to be.

Just got him today lol.

Beaglenewb

Congratulations on your puppy, I'm very envious!! I love beagles.

The key here is to be patient and consistant. Puppys, IMO are quite easy at this age. But everyone has different patience levels. Its just a matter of learning and establishing a routine for them.

Most puppies have the hyperactive stage but at that age is it usually followed pretty quickly with a sleeping stage.

While he is in the play mode, you need to play with him, show him his toys, throw them for him etc. It usually only last about half an hour to 1 hour at this age, then they crash.

Pups get excited and do nip. I have found that a "No!" and then distract them with one of their toys works well. At the moment, somethimes they listen, sometimes they don't but if you have patience, they will come to realise that it is not acceptable and they don't get any fun or attention if they are behaving like that.

My pup learnt the no nipping rule quite quickly, I either told him no and distracted him, or I got up and walked off. The same with barking or yelping at you, ignore them, which takes patience again, but it does work. As soon as he is quiet, treat him and resume play.

Be diligent with the toileting. Have treats in your pocket.

Take him outside to where you want him to go to the toilet every two hours, upon waking, after eating/drinking and after playing.

When he goes to the toilet, praise him/treat him/ play with him to show that your happy with what he has done.

You must be aware the whole time where he is in your house to avoid mistakes. If he does go in the house, this is your fault, not his. If you scream at him etc, he will just learn to do it when your not around.

Good luck and be patient, you will be rewarded. Don't stress out and try to correct everything at once.

Edited by Pawprints

Firstly, Miss Shel and Beaglenewb, you have Beagle babies and I haven't seen photos anywhere! Please post some so we can share in the baby beagle love? :(

Beaglenewb, I'm sure you've heard this a thousand times but patience is the key (especially with beagle pups). Our beagle Daisy is four months old now, and she goes through full on hyper active moments all throughout the day.

We were recommended a pig snout at bed time to settle our pup down, it worked in the beginning but then she started hiding them as soon as we gave her one ;)

You could also try teaching him "sit" or little tricks like that, I taught Daisy sit and lie down in the first couple of weeks because we couldn't start puppy preschool for almost a month once we got her.

Your little boy sounds just like a typical Beagle ;) Be consistant and hang in there and he should grow up into a great dog.

No advice until pics ;) :(

Okies, LOTS of attention when he's awake (what's his name?), get stuck into the toilet training from day one - upon waking, after food, after play. If he's nipping, a sharp OW to be like what his littermates would have done. LOTS of praise for doing the right thing.

And do 5 - 10 minutes of training as this will wear him out mentally too. Sit is probably the first and easiest to do with meals.

Good luck -and where are the photos?!

Hyper active is a dog if you dont want that part your in trouble for the next 12 years.

Beagles are active dogs,they love to explore & use there noise,there not couch potatoes or lazy critters but functional scent hounds,you cant change the breed characteristics you can train a dog to be well behaved but the humans also have to realize a dog is a dog & does dog things.

Give the pup a chance to settle,it would be like you getting off a plane in a foreign country & no one spoke your language or understood you .

The key is to be patient,consistant & not have over the top expectations.Pups learn quickly but you need to focus on ensuring toilet skills etc are the first priority & the all the other skills come with time & effort.

Congrats on your new puppy... I do not have the same breed, but i went thur and still going thur everything u described with Arley i have had her just on 3 weeks and she has her good days with toilet training then on other days all she does is wee in the house. And loves to bite people. no matter how many times you say NO she thinks its a fun game. Someone told me to get her a pigs ear to chew on to help and that has helped so pigs ears are my new best friend. . heheh Hope all works well and after the first week it gets easier

HE STOPPED NIPPING. Yelping as gotten better. From 15 minutes of yelping down to 3 minutes ! I am worried about the stuff he has consumed in the garden like leaves, accidently put a rotten nashi pear in the mouth. Thankfully he spat it out !

Also his back legs. They look a little bit bent in and when he runs there are little hippity hops in between. Is that normal ?

Beaglenewb I don't know if his movement is normal but I would recommend that you book him into the vet for a once over - I do that as a matter of routine for new pups. It's nice for them to see a vet in the early weeks without getting a jab. :)

Hi

Just got him today lol.

Beaglenewb

:) Did you forget you have a puppy?

Hi

Just to clarify things. The hippity hopping only happens when he runs and he hippity hops while he runs. I saw one beagle at the pet shop with it ?

This is normal dont worry! I thought it was weird as well. My vet said its just a puppy thing, they bounce and run in a very amusing manner. Sammy has completely stopped now. Also it looks funnier because the puppy is so small. I understand how hard to explain it is though. I was just lucky my vet has beagles :)

HE STOPPED NIPPING. Yelping as gotten better. From 15 minutes of yelping down to 3 minutes ! I am worried about the stuff he has consumed in the garden like leaves, accidently put a rotten nashi pear in the mouth. Thankfully he spat it out !

Also his back legs. They look a little bit bent in and when he runs there are little hippity hops in between. Is that normal ?

My Puppy loves the outdoors, anything on the ground goes in her mouth we have fruit trees she finds all the rotten fruit n plays with it. i even had to chase her as she found a chilli bush and was eating that like it was the best thing she has ever tried. little pebbles. anything she can find she trys to put in her mouth. So i am to also hopping its okay hehehe

Beagles are delightfully naughty for most of their lives. Try to see the funny side - I hope you have a sense of humour. Don't worry too much - my beagles would eat anything and everything - especially kids toys and never had a problem. Great way to teach kids not to leave their stuff lying around. Oh and be careful at christmas time - they just love those presents under the tree!

Ahhh, Shar Pei puppies - what a relief!!!!!!!!!

yeah....

We played with him alot yesturday and he went to sleep early. He woke up at 12 am. Then we had the dreaded beagle yelping night that I fear of lol. This time, play with him at night to tire him out and so we all can have a peacefull night's rest