In Regards To Destraint Therapy Topic

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone! My name is Melissa, I'm Chewy's trainer, and as requested by many of you, here is my side of this rather interesting debate. By the way, I'm posting under my partner's username as he's never used it lol and mine was going to take too long to get back, and I had this afternoon free so I wanted to get this sorted out quickly!

hmm

Laron 23rd Feb 2007 - 02:15 PM Post #91

Forum Member

Member No.: 15,414

--------

joined yesterday

Edited by Terrorbull

I commend you, for your post Melissa.

From a personal view, the only positively trained dogs I have ever seen, who have obtained high standards, are owned by SARDOG, who posts on DOL from time to time.

Heck, even guide dogs for the blind are trained, by methods which would be considered non positive by some.

All the same corrections, need GENERALLY, to be conditioned. The dogs have to know, how to change their behaviour, to escape/avoid such.

Hello everyone! My name is Melissa, I'm Chewy's trainer, and as requested by many of you, here is my side of this rather interesting debate. By the way, I'm posting under my partner's username as he's never used it lol and mine was going to take too long to get back, and I had this afternoon free so I wanted to get this sorted out quickly!

hmm

Laron 23rd Feb 2007 - 02:15 PM Post #91

Forum Member

Member No.: 15,414

--------

joined yesterday

Yes I noticed that too, but it could be that her partner created the account when alerted to the discussion on the forum.

Not sure about the "mine was going to take too long to get back" comment. As far as I understand profiles don't get deleted unless they are banned or ask to be de-registered for some reason. Hmm

Haven, I think Troy has to approve all registrations these days.

Yes but Laron started that she was using her partners username because "hers would take to long to get back" which sound like it means that she was previously a member but had been de-registered.

tramissa

" I do wish you could view the post that started all of this. It was about kicking the dog down the stairs to land on its back, slamming the dog in a door and performing a very aggressive alpha roll on the dog. Certainly not what you, nor Chris, have described. "

"Perhaps if the truth was given in the first place, instead of a mess of exaggeration and mistruths, none of this would have occurred."

Haven

"She said you were rough on the dog, sat on it, pushed it down the stairs, slammed the door on it etc etc."

What a load of crap did you actually read my first post? I never did say she kicked the dog down the stairs, i never said she sat on the dog and i never said she slammed the door on the dog.

Maybe you should post exactly what i wrote instead of posting crap that both of you make up. That was not my post that started this, so dont state it as it was. I think you guys are exaggerating it a bit ?

Edited by Andoria1

I commend you, for your post Melissa.

From a personal view, the only positively trained dogs I have ever seen, who have obtained high standards, are owned by SARDOG, who posts on DOL from time to time.

Heck, even guide dogs for the blind are trained, by methods which would be considered non positive by some.

All the same corrections, need GENERALLY, to be conditioned. The dogs have to know, how to change their behaviour, to escape/avoid such.

I agree ( well not about SARDOG coz to my knowledge i've never seen them work :banghead: ). No child or animal can ever be completely trustworthy and what we call 'well behaved' without ever hearing the word 'no'. There is 'positive training' and then there is 'positive training'.... we just need to find a balance between praise and 'correction'.

I'm not going to have a go at Laron.. I don't agree with all of her training methods but show me two dog trainers and I'll show you a debate about that. :banghead:

I'll give you this Laron.. you've got guts coming on here to explain yourself and I'm glad you did. Seems to me that both DOL and you have been misrepresented to one another by the common demoninator in all of this.

Andoria it seems to me that you owe your trainer an apology.. you really did exaggerate what happened. :confused: Then there are those 100's of abusive emails you told us Laron received...

Lablover I don't know too many "purely positive" trainers but I do know a lot that use positive reinforcement AND some corrections. The two are not incompatible.

Lablover I don't hold with harsh physical corrections but I do find that voice corrections are very effective for some things. Indeed, I think voice is probably the best training aid we have for many things.

Problem with getting "hands on" with a dog to correct placement, position etc is that it's a tough habit to break and completely useless if the dog isn't next to you.

Andoria it seems to me that you owe your trainer an apology.. you really did exaggerate what happened. :confused: Then there are those 100's of abusive emails you told us Laron received...

Absolutely. AND a full apology to all the members of DOL who came to your assistance with their support and suggestions - all based on your very exaggerated version of the sequence of events. Wasted a lot of time and energy, all due to the concern you raised because of personal embelishments to the truth. Your dislike of exaggerated truths is mirrored here and I am somewhat non-plussed and befuddled that you are seemingly unable to identify your own hypocrasy.

What I'm curious about is, if the "method" used was calm and non-stressful, how come (according to Andoria) this led to the dog not allowing the owners near it and/or to touch its collar ..... even after 3 days beyond the "technique" being applied. :banghead:

I'd also appreciate clarification on the description of "biting". Is this a more forceful version of "mouthing" with a view to becoming/being dominant, or has it actually escalated to aggression and is it based in dominance or fear?

I too applaude you for being courageous enough to join the forum and speak with us, Melissa. Not knowing what response you would receive, I imagine it would have been considerably nerve wracking. Like the others, I think you have some room to learn in more detail the advantages or disadvantages of various training aids (including the ones you mention). I don't believe you would be doing your skill any service by precluding them without knowing and understanding how they work when properly applied.

Edited by Erny

Oh .... and Melissa. If you are reading and if you do feel inclined to re-visit, would you PLEASE satisfy at least one more query.

The OP continuously refers to your technique as the "Destraint" technique. The rest of us here on DOL are thinking she means to say "Restraint".

Kindly confirm. It will serve to put some debate to rest. :banghead: