Puppy (baby) Gates

rooster78

Can anyone suggest where to get puppy gates from to block certain areas from little paws?

I have found only one in a pet store - it was $90 - is this about right? It seems very expensive for something I know my OH could knock up (if only he had time).

Where else do you suggest looking for these? What suggestions to you have to use that does the same job?

Thanks

I just bought a child safety gate from target! Coated steel so it doesn't rust and they aint chewing through it! It works great for me as I have a toddler so it stope him getting down there without me wanting it also.

I think I paid about $60! and if the area is wider than a door frame you can buy extensions. :rofl:

Hey i brought a baby gate for my pup... i have him in my walk tho robe in the bathroom.....I used it when he was a very lil puppy .. he i snow 6 months now.. he goes in there When i go out for an hour or so cos i dont trust him yet with the cords i got such as from the comp... he has toys n water n food in there with him... but yeah i got my from target also was about $70bucks Was a good buy... thinking about puttin on on the toy room cos he has bad with dragin her toys out everywhere lol :angel::rofl:

Cheers :rofl:

I bought one from Babyco for about $60. Tried Ebay but they are very popular.

Well worth it. It meant I could contain the pup in the kitchen where she could see the other dogs in the other part of the house, but could not annoy them.

it is made of timber though, and got somewhat chewed :rofl: .

Have a look in the weekend classifieds. There are other second hand baby places that sell reasonably cheap baby gates. I bought a new one from a baby shop here for large doorway for $120, where everyone else wanted over $160 for the same.. Just a matter of shopping around. The one I bought even advertised good for pets cause the bars were closer together and it was one of those open ones.

IF you get an old style wooden one, I staple gunned shade cloth to it to prevent puppy from walking through.

My husband bought aluminium frames from Bunnings, and then put plastic lattice on them. Not expensive at all, we got two barricades/gates out of it for around $70 - and they're light enough that I can easily move them to different parts of the house.

I got one at a garage sale, I made the other 2. My lounge entry is big so I used the side railing piece of a cot. The other one was another piece of a cot, cut to size and hinged to the wall. I got so sick of putting the gates up and down that I made them little doors. :D

Hi,

It might be a bit late to reply now, but we just bought a $10 gate from the Reject Shop to block off the stairs, it is pretty light though and depending on the size of your pup it could be moved.

We also have a metal puppy pen, which we use to enclose larger areas. I think that was around $70 from a pet shop.

Hi

They are a great idea

We got out from babies galore at Randwick

Cost around $100 , including an extension part to make it wider

We originally bought a wooden one - and both our girls walker straight through it :rofl:

The $100 one was much sturdier , and has very narrow gaps ... so no break outs possible :hug:

KMat sells wooden gates for around $20 from memory. My guys learned that they could chew through wood though after a year of so and that was the end of it.

The wooden ones are not 'opening' types either, they are static.

Another idea for a static gate and this is what I use in one doorway is to buy a metal curtain rod from Bunnings (or any hardware) and spring loaded rod ends. We then cut the curtain rod to fit in the doorway (we got three pieces out of one long rod) and put the spring loaded bits on the end and simply pushed them into the opening. The dogs can't jump over it and we just step over it and the spring loaded bit means it stays put in the door way but is not a permanent fixture.

The whole thing cost us about $16.

We ended up getting one from Target - paid $85.00 including an extension and it is metal with an easy to open gate - altho the gate is pretty narrow! It is perfect. We wanted to get two to block of the two entrances to our lounge room (the only carpeted area i the house) but one of the entrances is 145cm across and we couldn't find that size in a hurry.