When Is It Ok To Feed Egg...

RedStafford

I get quail eggs from a commercial seller and my kids get a chicken neck and two hard boiled quail eggs for breakfast three to four times a week. I roll the eggs around to break the shell a little but I don't think it matters, they would eat them anyway.

When I'm short of little eggs I scramble 2-3 chook eggs with some stock and divide that up with their necks.

I must admit the chicken necks are chewed up first, except for the puppy Kerry who inhales all his food.

Can't understand it as he didn't have to compete as a baby as he was only one of two in the litter, but he seems to think that it must all be devoured before anybody else gets it. They are all fed seperately.

ok, so i took the advice of people on here and gave my pup the whole egg, shell egg whites all of it, my pup was sick afterwards has been sick today and off her food, at dog club today i talked to a staffy breeder not giving names, and a judge trainer with years and years experience with dogs they both said NEVER NEVER FEED DOGS EGG WHITES ONLY YOLK! AND ONLY A LITTLE BIT OF SHELL NOT WHOLE THING!! so i now have 2 staffys breeders one of 15 years and a judge telling me to only give yolk and abit of shell.

Our dogs get their OWN eggs out the guinea fowl nests...crack em, and lick out the egg.Sometimes they will eat a shell, but not often.

They often will eat a half dozen at one go, if they can!

Never seems to hurt...one of the old Koolies was a real devil..she would steal eggs from anywhere....and if they were rotten..well, that was a bonus!! (urk)

She was still doing it not long before she died at 14 :hug:

( except cracking them was a bit harder, as she didn't have many teeth left) dear old thing.....

I'm with Bonz :rofl: Nothing better than sitting down to a hot cup of tea and two SOFT boiled eggs and toast :D and sharing with your

best mate.

We give our labs a whole egg at least 3 times a week ;) and while our bitch is pregnant she's had an extra one here or there. :thumbsup: She loves it!

If you would like to introduce whole eggs to your pup then try the baby approach and coddle it for the first two or three times. I'm sure pup will get used to it.

IMO its what they'd eat in the wild. I gave our boy an egg to see what he would do with it. Just handed him an egg, he took it up the yard and ate it, shell and all. :)

Then I gave him his dinner and he was a happy chappy :rofl:

Perhaps you pup just doesn't like eggs :laugh: I know a chi that doesn't eats anything unless its been near rice ;)

I would do what seems right for your pup - go with your gut instinct. :)

I'm a big fan of the BARF diet, and the best way (IMO) to dispell myths such as this egg one, is to think "What would my dog eat in the wild, if left to fend for himself?". Of course if your dog was out in the wild, and came across a chicken pen and a load of eggs, as if he wouldnt gulp them down. Its animal instinct to eat other species eggs. I have never heard of egg yolks, whites or otherwise being bag for a dog. My mum has bred and shown GSD for over 30 years, and maintains that eggs are a very neccessary part of a healthy dogs diet.

Oh man, here's me thinking that every dog carried an egg yolk seperated around :D

I feed whole egg once a week. Shell and all and I have never had a problem with it.

Hey Kayangel - just reading my puppy notes from the breeder and she said 'Eggs - scrambled preferably, no more than twice a week. You can also give them fried, poached or boiled, whatever is easiest.

Strange when my breeder knows your breeder - :thumbsup::laugh:

Edited because I am having a bad spelling day.

Edited by I'm Suz I stalk shoemonsters

suz- mandy and glenn done my puppy notes... i dont know who to go with on this one :thumbsup: really confused! i guess i have to do wats best for diamond and that giving her the whole egg made her sick!

even though you guys all give whole egg and probley having a laugh but i just dont wanna do harm to my little baby and giving the whole egg made her sick!

Edited by kayangel

i recommend hard boiled eggs mashed up....shells & all.

for a puppy 1/2 an egg twice a week would be fine.

but i'm not going to argue the toss.....

different strokes for different folks.....

i've been a registered breeder for well over fifteen years also.