Car Travel Or Plane

For a healthy dog with reasonable temperament, neither sounds stressful to me. If your dog has travelled in the trailer before, and associates it with something fun, that would be my choice, especially if you yourself are driving the trailer.

Edited by sandgrubber

I have transported with a dog trailer, with me of course, a pet transport company in the back of a van and he did a wonderful job would use him again. I have also flown dogs as for a dog trailer unless I was with the dog trailer unless I was with the dog I would not let anyone else transport for me. The man with the van I would use him again in a flash and flying yep I would send a dog off with Jetpets anyday.

i will never fly my dog again. she has been fully traumitised by it all in the past and i dont think she will ever get over it. i dont know what happened to her but when she came off at the other end she was a wreck. :thumbsup::laugh: :laugh:

If I was going they would be with me otherwise I would fly, I would not feel sure of someone else having control of my dogs for such a long way.

Yes this is what would worry me, I wouldn't trust anyone I didn't know to transport and look after my dogs, especially by road where dogs are taken out of the trailer/van for toilet breaks. When you fly you put the dog in the crate yourself and it doesn't get out of the crate until it reaches its destination and is removed by its owner. Flying is also much safer than travelling by road, even if the transporter is a good, safe driver there are lots of other idiots around.

I will fly my dogs every time, I know that road transport is cheaper, but that is irrelevant where the safety and wellbeing of my dogs is concerned.

I've had several experiences with transporting dogs. Flying unaccompanied is always risky IMO...the dog is alone and really at the mercy of baggage handlers and airline staff. I flew with my dog from Darwin/Sydney and return...he was left on the tarmac in Brisbane for 20 minutes (I was watching from the terminal). It wasn't too hot a day but it must have stressed him b/c it was February. When I collected him in Sydney, his crate was a complete mess, proving he hadn't been let out for a toilet stop at all.

I've flown Molly unaccompanied when I adopted her...but she went part-way by road with a rescue transporter...and arrived in perfect condition - if a little bewildered by the whole experience.

OH and I have driven Darwin to Canberra with our then two dogs. We have also driven with the 2 from Canberra to Cairns. And again from Cairns to Melbourne. Then with 3 dogs from Melbourne to Canberra. In a little while, we are driving with the 3 from here to the Top End - we don't anticipate any problems and we will be pre-booking our accommodation along the way.

As long as the dogs are restrained adequately and supervision is appropriate, there shouldn't be a problem with either transport method. But for my dogs, if we're going by road, so are they!