Goodbye My Jess 1994-2007

*jess*

Please excuse the long post......there are so many memories

Christmas 1997 we had a scare, an intruder in our home, "get a dog" the police said. Next day-"Boxing Day" - we turned up at the RSPCA looking for a German Shepherd. We did the round of the enclosure's, nothing really grabbed me. One more quick round just in case and there you were. You must have been sleeping in a corner the first time. You jumped up against the bars and looked straight into my eyes. "Wow I said to my OH, she is beautiful". Not the Shepherd we are looking for though he said. "Can we please look at her" I asked the attendant and out you came. You headed straight for me, said at my feet and put your paw on my leg (we were soon to find out that that was your thing). She is ours I said, the connection was instant.

They told us that you were a Flat Coated Retriever, about 2 1/2 and were surrendered because you were an escape artist. (The only time you tried to escape was when I travelled interstate once a year, OH would call to say that you had come home from god knows where, sopping wet like you had been for a swim. (no water nearby, so the mystery remains). You were miserable until I came home. Your turned out to be the most loyal, loving friend and protector. One week after we got you we went across the road to the park with the kids, a large aggressive dog came running towards us, you put yourself between him and us, stood your ground the kids crossed the road and were safely behind the fence, then happily came bounding to us, tail wagging, "did I do good mum?".

You were friend to all the children in the neighborhood, nothing made you happier than having a child to sit near and protect. Cinty would love to lie outside in the sun with you.

We watched you go from a bundle of fun, always zooming and playing, to slowing down and having longer sleeps, to your eyesight dimming, a touch of arthritis, panda eyes, but your tail never stopping wagging.

02/03/07 - I came home from work and went outside to give you a pat and a chicken frame. We had some quiet time together than you came inside for a while. I saw you at the back door so I let you out. 1 hour later OH went outside to give you your dinner. You were on your bed having a sleep. Jess he called, you didnt respond, not unusual, your hearing had gone years ago. He reached out and touched you. You were gone. Just lay down for a sleep and never woke up. I am so glad it was so beautiful and peaceful, so sad that I wasnt there to sit with you.

We got your ashes back on Tuesday, they have pride of place, always will. You are running with Gypsy on Rainbow Bridge. I have not been able to walk out the backyard yet, I cant look at your favorite sunny spot, its just too raw. We were so blessed to have you. Thankyou old girl.

Edited by *jess*