Private Instructors

JulesP,

BTW, just as with, ie 3 day eventing, most trainers concentrate on individual event requirements, at least in my horse riding days.

Just as you would probably not ask a race horse trainer to train an eventer, I would look at trainers who focus on the particular interests you and your dog have. Of course, many ideas are interchangable, nevertheless I thought worthwhile adding.

Good luck. Nothing like observing a happy dog.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slightly off topic but I can't believe how many people on the training forum are either horse-people or ex-horse people (I'm in between, only have my old retiree left :confused: )

I've had a private lesson with K9 for drive, and found it very helpful. I'm 3 hours out of the city so finding people for private lessons isn't that easy - its certainly something I'd like to do from both an agility and obedience side of things :(

I have been having one on one herding instruction and if there was some one I would want to train with, within a 2 hour radius I would have private Obedience training. As it is I just travel miles for seminars. :confused:

I have had private agility lessons, and used ot have private Obedience lessons until the person moved.

I also had horses and did dressage and always had private lessons. :(

I am jack of all trades and master of none.

:thumbsup: I agree feralpup! I too have one retired girl left (horse that is). Found that dog training is far easier, and less expensive than the hayburners! Although I will miss not having a horse when she finally goes! :eek:

Back to dog training. ......With my second ridgy I enlisted the help of a private trainer to begin with, Zola is quite a dominant dog compared to my previous RR and I didnt have the confidence or brain resources myself to go it alone or just go to group obedience classes. The lessons were a few weeks apart as I had a bit of drive to get there, but they helped immensely, both with Zola and me!

I have continued on with group lessons as I felt we could deal with them, and I wanted a bit of social enteraction for the dog. We have our first examination (kindy class) this Sunday and hopefully we will pass!

The transition from one-on-one to group classes was a bit difficult, there are so many distractions with all the other dogs (especially since they're all shapes and sizes)and people, but I feel that we do okay. I would like to continue on with obedience, as far as Zola is able to go without disliking it. Ridgebacks have a habit of getting bored.....yawn....with repetitive stuff, but we'll see how we go!

One question for the trainers, how did you guys get into training. Are there courses etc. that can be done, and recognised?

In my last few years of horsey stuff I became involved with PNH, found it very good for learning patience in everything I do, and would like to continue on somehow in the doggy line of things! Any advice (nice advice that is :laugh:please, dont tell me to buggar off! :D ) would be helpful!

Forgot to ask while I'm here...has anyone used Jan Fennells Amichien Bonding system? Any comments?

RG

Edited by RidgyGirl

I forgot to say I have tried to bribe Lablover into having a lovely Mid North Coast holiday to no avail. :D

eH??? Did I miss a mid north coast holiday??????????

Confused now. A normal feeling. :thumbsup:

Actually I was going to enter a retrieving trial in mid NSW on the weekend of 28th/29th April, but SARDA is more important, and saves me driving for HOURS!!!!!!!

Not so much private instructor as in some one I pay to teach me 1:1, but very ,very experienced handlers and some judges who are friends who offer advice and are quite willing to put you through a ring or some other work if you are willing to listen and learn. Most people I have met have been very willing to impart their knowledge to others who are willing to LISTEN, thats the key, don't ask ..."How do you.... " because how someone else does it may not work for you and your dog. I have been vry lucky as I have and do know some very good people in my field and have benefited greatly from their help and guidence. I enjoy the social aspect of a trial as much as the competition.

I train one on one with a instructor for herding, as for obed well i am an instructor that does one on one training sessions for basic obed, behaviour problems and trial training for new trailers.

I my self have not trained passed Novice so i only do training sessions with people about to start trailing or who want to fix certain problems.

I mainly do puppy education classes and basic obedience lessons for new dog owners.

I really would like to find out if there are any instructors doing one on one trail training for higher levels, thats not just at dog club and do charge a fee for there service????

I find this kind of training priceless.

when i get a chance to go in the ring and have one on one with an instructor at obed club, that myself and Cooper learn more, than just in normal class.

There is a great trainer from Geelong who will give private lessons - details copied from this website - http://www.k9events.com/localityguidevictoria.htm - she is very experienced in all levels of competition obedience

Clever Canines

Helen Read

Geelong Victoria

Training Positively

Puppy classes, show training, tricks, clicker, tracking, carting,competition.

Day time classes or one on one training for polite pooches.

Delta Canine Good Citizen Trainer

Training Member ADPT

Head trainer of Bellarine Dog Activities Group a positive Club.

Contact details [email protected]

or Phone fax 03 52 484889

Re: Sarah - what a small world. Before she got her Aussie she was also considering a Brittany so I met her. They are a great couple and I used to see her a fair bit when her and her husband visited agility trials etc. She is a great trainer, too bad they have moved to NZ, no wonder I haven't seen her for a while.

Re: Sarah - what a small world. Before she got her Aussie she was also considering a Brittany so I met her. They are a great couple and I used to see her a fair bit when her and her husband visited agility trials etc. She is a great trainer, too bad they have moved to NZ, no wonder I haven't seen her for a while.

LOL - i'm starting to think that everybody knows everybody in the dog world :):thumbsup::thumbsup: Yeah - she told me she was interested in Brittany's before she got Murphy! I can't complain with her breed of choise though :):thumbsup::)