Dogs In Their Prime?

Just wanting everyones opinons on when they think a dog is in their prime for dog sports like agility, flyball, retrieving, herding, obedience etc. I kow it depends on lots of factors but all other things being equal, what do you think is the best age to be working a dog in any of the above?

I would love to know this

I have taught both mine some of the basics of agility and flyball, but don't think they are ready yet to be doing the whole deal (they are nearly 2)

It would vary heaps with different dogs and their personalities though I guess

Edited by shoemonster

My Rottweiler who i did all the dog sports with was in her prime around 3 - 4 years old. Thats when she had reached her peak with training and competing. She still continued many years after that but about 3 yrs is when i think she was her best.

My Kelpie who has just turned 2 is completely different. He is still a silly teenager. I think he will be fully trained for sheepdog work when he is about 3 or so but then get maturity and experience and probably be competing at his best between say 4 and 8 years at a guess.

My dogs dad is nearly 10 and is still very immature and enthusiastic with his work and is still winning trials. He could pass as a 2 year old, so maybe my dog will never mature :)

They all are so different. The two other breeds i have had i could say that they were at their sports prime around 3 years.

In greyhound racing, most of the dogs race between 18 months and four years of age. After that they are not as fast as the younger dogs, and some are not as keen as they once were.

They are ready to start hard physical work when their growth plates are fully closed, but mentally they may not be ready for another few months.

Generally, the larger the dog the later they can be put into work.

Ness is 6 and yet to be in her prime :) - although starting to go that way. I think dogs are in there prime when you and they gel together as a team. I am sure its not totally just related to the dog but we have really just started to gel.

I'd agree it varies with breeds, and with individual dogs, but in general terms, probably 4 - 8. Having said that, if you're careful, both with the physical and the mental and emotional spects of training, you can keep them working happily way past 8. My previous Border Collie boy Sam ran in Novice Jumpers when it first came in - he was 12, and even with 3 refusals (bad momma) he outran me and came in under course time. He would also still sometimes get zeroed in the UD ring for anticipation - e.g on sendout for directed jumping, and on directed retrieve - actually that made me quite happy, since it said he was still enjoying himself. :)

Guest Clover

I think it varies for breeds and individual dogs aswell. Clover did not start training for Flyball untill she was nearly 3 years old so her prime was about 4-7 years.. although at 8 years she is running a lot faster now than she was a couple of years ago.. she runs why nutty BCs now thats why & they make her nutty :). Elvis is nearly in his prime he (& Tinny) turned 3 years last October.. it will be interesting to see how he (they) continue to run in the next couple of years.

My "old" retired obedience and agility cairn is in his absolute prime at 12 years.

As a foot warmer that is!! :)

His best obedience work was at about 8 years, and his best agility work at about 7 years.

My other recently retired obedience and agility cairn has a similar history, but did his best agility at 8 - 9 years (he's the "young" one at 10 years).

I would say that 5+ is when a team is in their prime for agility and obedience. Physically and mentally the dogs should be as capable and sound as they're ever gong to be and the team work between dog and handler has developed. My older guy at 9 is mr reliable now, but I have to face that although in great nick he can't compete physically with the younger dogs in agility. My younger guy is coming up to 5 and although he's been titled in Masters for a couple of years our team work is only coming together now to how I would like it.

Hard one to answer as genetics, fitness, mental (attitude) and physical health, vet care etc, diet and training requirements and standards play a part.

I regard retrieving trialling as the most difficult. Not only because multiple wins are required. It also depends on the numbers competing. Victoria being in my humble opinion and most difficult to win or place.

As the dogs get better, the tests become harder!!!!!

Generally speaking, between 2 and 5 with a dog that started training early.

I think most small to medium sized dogs are full physically developed by 2.5 to 3.5.

Most dogs that I have trained seem to start to really click mentally around 2 years of age obedience wise. I like to debut them in a trial around that time.