Herding Instinct Test Saturday 12th May - Kcc Park

Have been watching some youtube of herding instinct tests. One of them had the judge standing in the middle of the ring. Just curious where does the judge stand? The ones I was watching were probably taken outside of Australia. Was also wondering wouldn't it confuse the sheep.

Here is Tia's latest efforts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJePEGnqMe4

Anybody going to this? Anyone to keep me company. LOL :rolleyes:)

• 5 weeks later...

If Leo can pass i'm sure Tia will blitz! No problems at all I assure you!!

She looks great in the large paddock! A true working dog :flame:

I won't be going - Haven't done much with Kinta.

Had a bit of a go yesterday (not with ASCV - couldn't make it) and Leo was the same as last time- not interested :laugh:. He picked up again when we chucked another dog in with him and eventually was back to where he was at our first lesson!

From what i have heard, Tia will have no probs with the test at all. She is looks great.

Have fun and let us know how she goes :laugh:

ETA Crikey, those sheep in the video are well trained.

Edited by jesomil

Have been watching some youtube of herding instinct tests. One of them had the judge standing in the middle of the ring. Just curious where does the judge stand? The ones I was watching were probably taken outside of Australia. Was also wondering wouldn't it confuse the sheep.

Hi CTD,

I can't see you would have a problem with Tia for instinct cert. The judge is usually in the ring with you - some will stay right with you, others stand on a fence line ready to assist if needed. The couple that I have judged I have hung back on the fence out of the way unless the handlers seemed really unsure in which case I walked with them to talk them through it. And in 1 case the dog was starting to get a little excitable so I moved in off the fence ready to assist if needed but wasn't required as the handler got the dog back to them.

They will usually want to see a stop (wait) and a recall first done on a long line. They shouldn't specify a sit/stand/drop just that the dog wait although I have seen some judges ask for a particular position. My opinion on this is it is herding, not obedience and a wait is sufficient. After you have demonstrated a wait and recall they will want to see the dog "show interest" in the stock and the long line will nbeed to be dropped or removed at some stage. She doesn't have to work the sheep in any way in particular just show that she wants to do so the judge will then ask you to get her back and that is that. It normally only takes a minute or so, some judges keep handlers in there longer and you have up to 10 minutes if needed as some take a little while to settle and feel relaxed enough to show interest. I had 1 that I judged took about 8 mins cos it was busy checking everything out and once it was over that showed very clear interest but it wanted to see what else was there first, lol.

Good luck on the weekend and let us know how she goes. Are they doing 1 or 2 tests that day?

Hi

Tia will blitz the HIT Test.

You'll enjoy the trial. Lots of info available, lots of dogs to see, lots of different handler ways.

I wish I was coming along too but I need more training to stop Gambit from splitting the sheep.

It was so good to catch up with you last Sunday. Thinking of you

Wendy

post-6277-1178579691_thumb.jpg

Tia shows interest from outside the pen. LOL :)) If they ask for a particular position we will be stuffed. As when she gets in she is so focused, and I just do "stand" LOL :)) We are doing 2 tests. Looking forward to seeing other breeds work. Saw a malinwoir work, was great!!!! Very gentle.

Tia shows interest from outside the pen. LOL :)) If they ask for a particular position we will be stuffed. As when she gets in she is so focused, and I just do "stand" LOL :)) We are doing 2 tests. Looking forward to seeing other breeds work. Saw a malinwoir work, was great!!!! Very gentle.

LOL I can understand that, I have started a young BC for a friend recently. She has lovely drops but once she gets there it is like she has never heard the word in her life so at the moment I accept a stop of movement from her and if she lays down by choice it is a bonus. I have found when working Piper though that I don't often want her to lay right down, just stop moving. The exception is if I am doing a hold like in the open pen in intermediate and advanced A, in that situation I want her dropped in the mouth of the pen.

It is great seeing how the different breeds work, I haven't seen a belgian of any variety work yet.

Jules, you and Tia look great in that video. She's balancing sheep nicely to you, and paying attention to you. You look like you know what you're doing too :)

How is she with only a few sheep, and in a smaller area. That used to be a bit of a downfall for Kirra and me - but Tia looks as though she'll cope fine with the instinct test.

Best of luck - and let us know how you go.

Take care.

Tia tends to want to wool class in a smaller area, but I just have to keep her moving. Actually in that video I had really no idea what I am doing, if you listen you can hear a guy yelling out instructions he wanted me to get her to herd the sheep around the pole.

well done.....CTD and Tia :p see it was easy wasn't it ;)

i am entered tomorrow in starters, so will be fun :mad

Cooper hasn't seen sheep for a few weeks, been to busy to take him training :cry: so should be interesting on how he goes :mad its his first go at starters too......i am a lil nerves :hug::mad

will let u know how we go :banghead:

sam