The Worst That Could Happen, Did...

A dog daycare will not accept a dog that is unreliable with other dogs.

I called up a few doggy day cares, told them my dog's size and that he doesn't play well with others. One actually said "Oh, well we can just put him in there with a muzzle on and see how he goes!".

:confused:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geez, what a trauma.

Look as others have said, keeping you dog in a [large] fully enclosed dog run is the only way to go from here on in. I don't know how solid the non-permanent runs are but you would have to stake it down quite a bit to stop your dog getting under it.

I think you are lucky to have such understanding neighbours (probably your efforts to extend the fence previously went a long way in them not reporting your dog). What a little bugger he is.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted.

Yes, you need something he WILL NOT get out of.

By gradually improving the fence after he got over it, you most likely (without meaning to) made it more likely he'd try harder each time he tried - the "I got over it when it was this high, maybe I can get over it when it's this high" progression.

I had a dog that was a terrible escaper, mostly because I didn't have much money and kept making things a bit better each time. Each time she got out, it made her more likely to try harder the next time. It didn't stop until I got a dog yard. So you can say I learned the hard way - these days I understand the behavioural theory behind what happened. That is, the extinction component of behavioural theory says that if a behaviour (e.g. jumping to get over the fence) is unrewarded, the dog will try a bit harder before it gives up - and if trying harder is successful, then it's just been rewarded for trying harder. Once I got a dog yard, she could NOT get out, and she did eventually give up.

A dog daycare will not accept a dog that is unreliable with other dogs.

I called up a few doggy day cares, told them my dog's size and that he doesn't play well with others. One actually said "Oh, well we can just put him in there with a muzzle on and see how he goes!".

:p

That doesn't sound promising! At work, the dogs have to do a temperament assessment to see what they are like with other dogs and people, and large breeds that we worry may not handle a large group of dogs well or are really energetic have a trial first day on a quieter day of the week. We certainly DO NOT throw them in there with a muzzle! If the owner says their dog is not good with other dogs, we don't take them even for an assessment. Why would you want to take your dog somewhere there are 20+ other dogs getting in its face if it doesn't like other dogs?

On topic, my old family dog who is now nearly 17 used to jump the fence whenI lived at home. Started because we thought we didn't need a really high fence for a small dog (17 inches, 11 kg, sorry my measurements are out of whack!) and she learned to jump over it. We also made little adjustments to stop her, and she learned to jump higher, until she could get over 6 feet! It only stopped when my parents totally redid the fence and got rid of the garden bed that she was using to gain more height. I used to come home from school to find her on the front lawn!

So sorry to hear this, it's extremely stressful when your dog is getting out all the time :)

I have had an absolutely shocking time with Kovu jumping fences...he was so bad he would get let out the back door, run straight to the fence and over he'd go :p

An electric wire stopped him. He got hit right on his wet nose so it would have been quite painful for him. Has NEVER attempted to jump the fence again and wont even stand on his back legs near it.

If you think your dog has too much 'drive' to get to the other dog and would go through an electric wire then you'd better be getting yourself a secure dog run. If he keeps getting out these people have every right to have your dog declared dangerous, you're lucky he didn't kill their poor dog :(

I hope you find a way to get it sorted out, I know the stress you must be going through and it's a sickening feeling :cheer:

I'm with Mrs D on this one. I'd look at electrifying the fence. I know this sounds harsh but there you go. Hey, dogs on horse properties cop a boot from the fence now and again and aren't scarred for life. THey learn quick to keep off it. you can either buy proprietary dog control electric fencing with a collar that goes off when they approach the fence, or think about horse tape. Actually, what I'd do is get a semi-permanent run, or build one, so's you can take it with you AND have the electric option for when you're home and you let him out in the back yard. This will serve you in good stead for years to come as it will teach him he cannot do the behaviour without a big punishment and you'll have him safely contained during the day. Yep, this all costs money and it's dreadful but the alternatives are worse. What if he does it again? What if he gets out and does it elsewhere when you're not around. I REALLY REALLY feel for you and it's awful that he got out just as you were trying to do the right thing. Good luck and I hope it works out okay.

You really only have 2 options.

1. Having the dog PTS

2. Building a escape proof enclosure.

You are exeptionally lucky that the council haven't taken any further action. You dog could/can be seized and destroyed by the council for attacking another animal or decalared dangerous. The council can also take you to court and charge you.

You are aware that he able to escape and now you are aware that he attacked another animal and now you have extra respsonsibilities as an owner of a dog which has attacked to ensure that it never happens again.

Its not fair on your neighbours, their animals, your dog or yourself if you are not able to securely confine him in a escape proof enclosure.

You can easily erect an enclosure using star pickets (with protection caps) or poles, welded mesh or concrete re-enforcement.

Do you have a shed or garage that you can extend by putting an enclosure on the outside giving him extra room and protection?

Also, i would looking at doing a semi concrete floor, as a concrete floor would be exspensive. For example use crushed rock as the base, compact it and level it (excellent idea to have it sloping one way to make for easy cleaning and drainage. Wet the crushed rock. Then sprinkle the top with concrete, apply water via a mist and evenley smooth over and let dry. You can also seal it using paving paint etc. You can apply a product to the paint to make it non slip. Its like a gritting agent?

All the products you will need will be available from bunnings, hardware centres and a garden centre (for crushed concrete). Its will only cost you a few hundred to erect it all and will give you peace of mind knowing that he is secured whilst not under your supervision.

There is plenty of environmental enrichement toys etc available and daily rotating of these toys and large marrow bones will ensure that he isn't bored.

Look at purchasing 20-30 toys including good qaulity one like kongs etc and cheaper ones, and rotate daily giving hime 3-5 new ones each day. In the warmer months you can freeze in a 2-4l ice cream container some fishy cat food in stock flavoured water.

Twice daily on lead walking and play times in the backyard with your other dog will also keep him occupied.

If you don't have a shed or garage to extend an enclosure onto, then make sure you provide a kennel, shade protection either by placing the enclosure under a tree or using shade clothe.

Hi Steve!

You can often buy really good ready-made portable dog runs at farming supply stores. Worth checking out. :thumbsup:

I think you're doing the right thing by getting a dog run. You do have a responsibility to contain your dog, it's not fair on your neighbours to let him roam - plus he could easily be declared dangerous if your neighbours report his attack (it sounds like they're exceptionally nice neighbours not to report him already - I hope you sent them a huge bunch of flowers as well as paying their vets bills!)

My (dog aggressive) stafford has a roofed portable run, and it's great to have peace of mind that he's not ever going to be able to get into trouble when I'm out, even if some trespassing moron leaves the gate open or something.

Good luck!

Edited by Amhailte

He was neutered yesterday and has been a total sook, he refuses to walk anywhere with the eliz collar on because it hits things and he gets scared and plays "Stuck in the mud" lol. Its funny, but not so funny if you catch my drift, poor boy!!!

Looking at getting a dog run built asap (when i have some spare cash after the incident) and will keep him in a run when we are at work.

Bosco is an escape artist, as many on here know :eek:

I knew I had to do something when he and my girl got out one day, and only he came back. Then he went into panic mode, and I would not trust him not to escape again, so I had to watch him like a hawk. I even had to take him to work with me during the day as I had no where to put him,and he had already eaten through the laundry door and pulled up the carpet.

I rent too, and I just told my landlord the situation, and they said it was fine to build a run. Luckily, I have a massive concrete slab in the backyard which I have just placed the run on top of, but it did mean that I had to have bolts screwed into the concrete to keep it secure (Bosco would dig out if it was on dirt) but then can just be cut off at the top when I have to move. And it is fully enclosed so he cant jump or climb out the top. There is a small gap at the front top, but he hasnt seemed interested in getting out of there, he actually seems to feel quite safe in his run :rolleyes:

Im really sorry this happened :D But I think a good sturdy run is the only thing you can do, or like others have said running an electric wire along the top of the fenceline.

Keep us updated :)

why dont you try placing wired mesh behind or infront of the fence so that he cant sqeeze through. Also buy a fence guard (like the ones they use in prisons except without barbed wire, just wire mesh) that kinda bends over at the top of the fence so that the guard bends inwards. And gives the fence extra height and prevents the dog from jumping making him fall inwards when trying to reach the top fence.

stop-border-in-front-of-you.jpg

Just ignore the barbed wires what i am refering too is the way the fence is kind of bent at the top. Might be a bit extrem or a stupid idea, but i think the bent shaped of the fence would prevent the dog from being able to grip on the fence at the top.

Edited by Andoria1

i had my hounds fenced in with a normal chicken wire fence,never got out.brought another girl and the 2 girls got out and spent the day chasing kangaroos in someones sheep paddock. heightened the fence to 7 ft,so then they dug out.electric fence was the best $200 i ever spent,2 hits of that and they dont go close to it.

Was there a reason you decided against electric?

My fence is 6ft and I'll be having 3ft ontop of it sloped in with 6 strands of electric over it.

Electric fencing isn't that expensive - once you have the charger its only like 25c per meter of tape.

Qhen we rented, we were in your exact situation. Stella could get over the fence, and she is aggressive with other dogs.

I recommend gettiung an innotek system, a wire that goes around the perimeter of th area and beeps if he gets close, and then zaps him. It sounds harsh, but i was the only option for us, coz we also had no driveway fence.

In the whole training and onwards process, I would sayt at the dogs ends up getting zapped about twice, that's not much at all.

Here's a linky:

http://www.innotek.net/store/index.php?cPa...ce924f9526a6063