How Do You Slow A Fast Eating Dog Down?

My Renae loves her food, too much !!!

Think she takes after me ! :rofl:

But.....................

She eats at a ridiculous speed. I've never noticed any of my dogs to eat like that before..

and i've always had 2 dogs at a time...most of my life

I feed her in a separate spot to Joey...

I swear she doesn't even chew it, she just gulps it down ...

I have cut her meals sizes down, as she has put on weight... but she did it even when they were larger sizes.

I do tell her firmly to slow down..

but its like she gets transfixed soon as her plate is put down in front of her ..

Joey is the total opposite, he eats quite slowly.

Any advice appreciated..Thanks !

help.gif

I would be interested in an answer to this as well as Stella inhales every meal as though it is her last. She barks whilst I am preparing her food and spins around and carries on. She must get indigestion. We don't let her eat until we give her the o.k and I swear she drools buckets just waiting those few seconds. Maybe its a cav thing Jules?

I think so cavmad!!!

Renae even does the snorting thing , while i'm preparing her meal!!

I know cavs are known for their obsession for food, but Joeys not as bad as her!! LOL

maybe its a female cav thing??

Edited by Jules loves Joey and Renae

I have read that you can buy special bowls or place objects in the food bowl so that the dog has to eat around them which slows them down. I think there has been a thread previously but otherwise speak to your pet shop.

I have read that you can buy special bowls or place objects in the food bowl so that the dog has to eat around them which slows them down. I think there has been a thread previously but otherwise speak to your pet shop.

Thanks MyCatMilo :D

I know we are meant to do searches on topics, but i forgot to :rofl:

Ok must find out about those dishes :D

Thanks! :)

yep get a nice big smooth rock and put on top of the dogs dinner, they have to move the rock around to get to the food.

can pick up nice big rock from hardware stores etc

also try halving the dogs dinner and feed half in the morning and half at night :rofl:

I have heard of people in the same situation as you who instead of feeding from a bowl, they will spread the dog's food out over an area (for example a tiled or concrete floor - wouldn't work so well on carpet or grass) and the dog eats that way. Of course this would really only work with dry food, but might be worth a shot? It means that the food is not just there in one big pile for the dog to gobble down, but instead it is scattered around, so the dog has to move around a bit, from piece to piece, and they really only get one maybe two pieces of food at a time. Just a suggestion, I personally don't have this problem and therefore have never tried this method, so I can't tell you that it will definitely work. :D

Also how many times a day do you feed her? If once, I would try feeding her twice a day.

Good luck!! :rofl:

ETA: Oops looks like I was posting at the same time as several others! So my ideas have already been mentioned - LOL nevermind!

Edited by cassie the bernese lover

I have heard of people in the same situation as you who instead of feeding from a bowl, they will spread the dog's food out over an area (for example a tiled or concrete floor - wouldn't work so well on carpet or grass) and the dog eats that way. Of course this would really only work with dry food, but might be worth a shot? It means that the food is not just there in one big pile for the dog to gobble down, but instead it is scattered around, so the dog has to move around a bit, from piece to piece, and they really only get one maybe two pieces of food at a time. Just a suggestion, I personally don't have this problem and therefore have never tried this method, so I can't tell you that it will definitely work. :D

Also how many times a day do you feed her? If once, I would try feeding her twice a day.

Good luck!! :rofl:

they get one biscuit each in the mornings... a arrowroot

and at night they get a small scoop of dry food (each) with a small amount of meat..

Stella snorts too. Its awful watching her make such a pig of herself! Someone suggested we feed her out of a kong so we try that from time to time but she gets it all slobbery and spends the whole night chasing it around the floor. Someone else suggested hand feeding as well.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and input !!!

Will give them a go :rofl:

slider_thankyou.gif

I don't know why she does it, and Joey doesn't ?

Maybe they are all individual in their habits, just like we are .

my girl is getting a bit of a porker so is on a diet and i cut her portion in half! but my boy is fine and can eat anything (the joys of being entire!)

so my boys gets his in his bowl

Rogue gets hers in a toy (i use the indestructable treat ball(?) from crown) so its takes her ages to get it all out

i also feed part frozen chicken carcasses - if they are straight out the freezer run them under the tap for a few seconds to prevent ice burn :rofl:

Just a dog thing :rofl:

I'm looking after a dozen cavs this week, all fed in separate areas and meal time doesn't last long at all. Start picking up the dishes as soon as the last full one is put down. No digestive problems at all.

It's normal for dogs to gulp down their food, they only tear it into a size they can swallow. We start food digestion in our mouths with saliva, our dogs don't.

Now back to the cav cuddles. :D

With her dry food, especially considering she is on a diet, put it in her bowl and cover it with water. Not to make it mushy, but to make her drink the water in order to get the food. I have had to do this with dogs in the past with great success.

The bonus is, that because she is on a diet, she is drinking water with her food, and will therefore feel fuller.

For Dry food only - You could use a treat ball that dispenses the food in small amounts as the dog rolls it around

For Combo foods - Put the whole thing in a kong and seal it up and give it to the dog that way?

Both ways make the dog work for their food and it makes it hard to scoff it down??

Try www.vetnpetdirect.com.au or similiar - i find it pretty cheapo