1. 1. What do you feed your dog?

• Nutro
    • Eagle Pack
    • Royal Canin
    • BARF
    • Eukanuba
    • Science Diet
    • other

I voted BARF b/c there's no option for raw other than BARF. I don't feed BARF in the strict sense but a modified raw, whole foods diet.

ATM b/c of the trip/move/kennels, the dogs are on processed and raw meaty bones. The processed foods are:

Royal Canin (for Lilly); Nutrience (Ruby and Molly); Pro Plan Sensitive (Ruby).

RC is OK for Lilly but not great - she doesn't digest processed very well and does well to have a firmish poo on RC! :rofl:

Ruby is on antibiotics and her poo isn't great b/c of that...the processed might have something to do with that as well.

Molly does fine on Nutrience...it's the bowl she doesn't like! :D If I serve it on the floor, it's OK...but in that nasty stainless steel bowl? Nope, it's gotta go on the floor! :D

I think whatever works best for your dog, but buy the best you can afford and understand the ingredients lists and the nutrition panel info. It's important to know what goes into your dog's diet IMO. :)

I voted BARF b/c there's no option for raw other than BARF. I don't feed BARF in the strict sense but a modified raw, whole foods diet.

ATM b/c of the trip/move/kennels, the dogs are on processed and raw meaty bones. The processed foods are:

RC is OK for Lilly but not great - she doesn't digest processed very well and does well to have a firmish poo on RC! :rofl:

Ruby is on antibiotics and her poo isn't great b/c of that...the processed might have something to do with that as well.

Molly does fine on Nutrience...it's the bowl she doesn't like! :D If I serve it on the floor, it's OK...but in that nasty stainless steel bowl? Nope, it's gotta go on the floor! :D

I think whatever works best for your dog, but buy the best you can afford and understand the ingredients lists and the nutrition panel info. It's important to know what goes into your dog's diet IMO. :)

How did you figure out what to give each one of them? How come not all of them are on the same brand of food ?(not necessarily same type though, like they all could be on Nutrience but different type for different needs)

Home Cooked.

The kibble has been dumped, the US recall and their 4,000 dead pets has put me off commercial dog food for life.

My four legged mate deserves the best I can provide.

I feed Rocky (Jack Jusell) Eukanuba as well as IAMS as a dry food, but his other food consists of cooked chicken mince with rice and mixed vegetables with half a teaspoon of fishoil mixed in to keep things moving. (He suffers from constipation and colic without the fish oil). He always has a shiny wet nose, bright eyes and a spring in his step and he is nearly 14.

RC is OK for Lilly but not great - she doesn't digest processed very well and does well to have a firmish poo on RC! :eek:

Molly does fine on Nutrience...it's the bowl she doesn't like! :D If I serve it on the floor, it's OK...but in that nasty stainless steel bowl? Nope, it's gotta go on the floor! :)

I think whatever works best for your dog, but buy the best you can afford and understand the ingredients lists and the nutrition panel info. It's important to know what goes into your dog's diet IMO. :love:

How did you figure out what to give each one of them? How come not all of them are on the same brand of food ?(not necessarily same type though, like they all could be on Nutrience but different type for different needs)

Ruby and Molly could likely eat almost any processed and do OK on it for short periods as is the case ATM. Lilly, OTOH, has a very fussy bowel and therefore we found raw is definitely best. She does OK to fair on RC but it's the best processed food we've tried. We tried many many different brands and formulations before we switched her to raw in the first place. Most dry foods literally go in one end and straight out the other - what comes out is mostly liquid! RC at least is a semi-formed stool at the other end.

I don't usually buy processed at all. And I avoid brands available in the supermarket due to the poor overall quality. But the Pro Plan Sensitive is not bad. Reading through the ingredients list is (mostly) a pleasant surprise except the first ingredient is a cereal...

I like dog food to contain mostly animal product (and not by-product either!) so it's not easy to find one that suits all three. And they're very different in terms of breed/mix. Lilly is a greyhound, Ruby is a staffy cross and Molly is a mini foxie x chi. Raw suits all three equally well without the need for buying different foods for each one. :rolleyes:

I feed Rocky (Jack Jusell) Eukanuba as well as IAMS as a dry food, but his other food consists of cooked chicken mince with rice and mixed vegetables with half a teaspoon of fishoil mixed in to keep things moving. (He suffers from constipation and colic without the fish oil). He always has a shiny wet nose, bright eyes and a spring in his step and he is nearly 14.

You mean cooked chicken mince rather than cooked chicken pet mince, I hope? Pet mince contains a lot of bone and should never be cooked as they use chicken frames to make the mince. Most dogs also prefer their foods served raw b/c it smells 'better' to them. :rolleyes:

I won't begin to discuss the reasons against feeding IAMS/Euk...

As long as your dog is happy, that's the main thing. :eek:

One of mine has a very easily upset tummy so she gets the eukanuba low-residue with other things added like healthy human food, sardines etc. The other gets either Inova, Eagle Pack or Royal Cainn, depending on how easy they are to get at the time. She also gets other stuff added like the other one.

My beagle puppy eats raw pet mince mixed with rice (cooked with garlic) and veggies, and that gets mixed with Science Diet puppy kibble. The food I was feeding him previous to making up our own at home he would sometimes leave, with this raw mince mixture his bowl looks so clean it could have just come out of the dishwasher!! He also has a fish oil capsule once a day in his dinner.

Initially I was a bit wary of buying pet mince, because I was worried it was full of fat and offal. I was going to try Lenards chicken mince but was told it was full of fat and smells a bit gross. But the pet mince we buy from the butcher is made from the leftover human grade meat, so no snouts or hooves or anything like that. It doesn't smell and almost looks good enough for us to eat - although I'm not quite willing to give it a try!!!

• 3 weeks later...

My beagles don't eat raw at all, I tried giving them some and they just looked at me and said "Mum, what are we supposed to do with this???" :thumbsup: So I cook their mince and they just love it mixed with some of their Advance kibble.

My shih tzu has allergies and the vet and I are trying to work out to what exactly so I was feeding Innova Evo (ruling out grains), then Royal Canin, at the moment Eukanuba (skin sensitive one) and next I will be going onto Eagle Pack Holistic Sardine. If none of those work I will have to go to the stuff you can only get at the vets but I have my fingers crossed that Eagle Pack works cause that one is my preference for Cibo. He is so damn fussy though and refused point blank to eat the BARF diet I made for him :thumbsup: