Breeds For Flyball

Hi everyone. This is my first time here. I stumbled across this site while researching suitable breeds for flyball and agility. I am ready to get another dog now, and i have always wanted to do obedience, flyball and agility with her. Does anyone have any suggestions on large breeds who enjoy and excel in this. :mad

Pretty much any dog can do flyball and have fun. The most serious competitors though have BCs and Kelpies, as they are very fast.

The only large dogs i have seen doing flyball in Victoria is a cross bred (Someone who races with her will know what breed) and a few of the larger gundogs. Majority are medium sized and smaller.

For what its worth, i have Tiffany who is listed on the link that Scarlet posted :mad

Wow, thanks so much for everyones advice. Please can anyone tell how German Shepherds do in this field. I am quite partial to them. I lost a shepherd to cancer in 2005 and in my line of work, we often utilise them. I am also interested in the standard poodle. Is that silly, I just thought that they are known to be very intelligent, and they are such a beautiful looking dog, (with a normal haircut though). :mad

The only large dogs i have seen doing flyball in Victoria is a cross bred (Someone who races with her will know what breed) and a few of the larger gundogs. Majority are medium sized and smaller.

I'm trying to think of a large x breed run by a female. Jamaica is the biggest ( american bulldog x lab) not sure I could ever call his handler a girl though. :mad

I'm trying to think of a large x breed run by a female. Jamaica is the biggest ( american bulldog x lab) not sure I could ever call his handler a girl though. :p

:mad I was thinking of the dog at the time, but yes i was picturing Jamaica.

Jamoi didn't fit in the last post. must be b/c he is so big. :laugh:

Any size dog can do dog sports more care needs to be taken in there training and care in order to protect there joints. For example in flyball a dog can turn on the ground or he can turn with all four feet on the box. (swimers turn) for a big dog it is better for his legs to take the time in teachinghim a good turn than having him turn on one leg and pop a ligiment. I'm sure that parts of agility would be like this too.

post-7974-1177501820_thumb.jpg

I've seen German Shepherds do flyball. They were great! If I were to get another Shepherd for agility/flyball, I'd go working line though. They're much more agile. There's a beautiful working line Shep at our club, she's gorgeous. :laugh:

Goodluck!