Separation Anxiety

My friends female Weimeraner died a few weeks back and now her male Wei is having terrible separation anxiety. He has been vomiting, screaming, crying, howling etc when the family are not there and at times when they have been inside the house (definate outside dog, though extremely loved).

I am just after some ideas that will help settle him. I have given her my kong and she is using that. I have suggested getting some rescue remedy for him. Any other secrets to keeping him happy?

Dogs grieve, just like humans. This poor dog is lonely and distressed - he needs help asap. Could they consider fostering if they aren't ready to adopt.

I would also recommend buying some Rescue Remedy, not expensive - availabel from most pharmacies, and it will help. It helps people too and is harmless for animals. I use the drops for my rescue foster dogs, they don't like the spray. Use it several times a day.

Also, leave a radio on for him so he has some company of sorts. See if there is a neighbour's dog to spend time with or something.

Why can't they buy another bitch to keep him company? He appears to be in a very bad way and getting him another female companion may be the only satisfactory solution. Leaving a dog in this sort of state for an extended period of time is a form of cruelty IMO.

They are still grieving themselves from the loss of their girl. I dont think they are in the right frame of mind to get another pet just yet. Unfortunately the neighbours on both sides have also recently lost their dogs for various reasons so having a neighbours dog left there isnt an option either.

They did masses of research before buying these two dogs and got the most suitable breed for their family. I dont think they would just get any breed. I havent broached the subject of getting a new pup with them, I dont think they have the time to look after one.

Thanks for your replies.

Yes I agree he needs a friend, if one of my dogs died I reckon the other one would go nuts, leaving a dog that's been used to another dog on his own would be very traumatic for the dog. Poor boy.

They are still grieving themselves from the loss of their girl. I dont think they are in the right frame of mind to get another pet just yet.

Yes that may be so, but they are thinking of themselves not the poor dog who's going mad with grief and loneliness. Vomiting, crying, screaming and howling are symptoms of extreme distress, this poor dog is really suffering. They may not think that they're ready for another dog, but once they get it they'll love it anyway and their dog will be happy again.

Really I don't know how you could love a dog and let him suffer like this, it would break my heart if he were mine :laugh:

Another question. How much Rescue Remedy spray should she give him, thats all she could get.

She is worried she will knock him out totally and there wont be anyone home to watch him. She has to work tomorrow and Friday.

Edited to add that I have spoken to her about getting him a new friend and told her all of your suggestions. She has taken it onboard and will have a big think about it.

Edited by SarasMum

If the family aren't ready for another dog (and I understand that), why not foster? This will help their dog and many others in the process.

I'd also recommend they get their vet to check their boy. He's likely going to need something stronger than RR...he's grief-stricken and that can warrant a sedative combined with a stronger anti-anxiety medication. I'd definitely suggest a DAP diffuser too, if he's kept indoors at least some of the time. :rofl:

I wouldn't recommend a PUP, but an older, calmer dog just might do the trick. Contact Wei Rescue...they are sure to know of an older dog needing a new home or foster carer. :laugh:

Thanks Lillysmum. They have taken him to the vet just to make sure there was no physical problem with him. They got him some RR and have a radio ready to play so he thinks there is someone home. He has never lived inside and would find the concept very strange so they are trying to stick to his normal routine.

He unfortunately has never been a "toy" kind of dog and just used the female as a chew toy. Wherever she went he would follow and annoy her, that was their thing.

She has been in contact with the breeder and is not totally closed to the option of another dog. I am taking one of my girls over on the weekend for a visit to see how they get on. I can also bring him here once my girl finishes her season.

This is not just about drugs (and depending on response to behaviour modification treatment, may not need to be about drugs at all) but is about emotional behaviour issues. Engaging a behaviourist qualified to deal with these sorts of issues would be of best assistance.

The dog does need to be taught that being alone is ok. This involves incremental training and is established over time. The success rate and how long this will take will depend on numerous factors, the main being whether or not this dog has ever been alone before and from what age.

In the interim, allowing the dog to become an indoor dog might help also. As it stands, he has not only lost his friend, but is also being isolated from his pack. That in itself is a punishment to dogs not taught otherwise.

Having said that his owners MUST exhibit all leadership attributes and I would also recommend they be firm with the guidelines they set him.

But a behaviourist would be able to cover all of that and show them how to do it and what guidelines to put into place.

Edited by Erny

A lot depends not just on the dog's behaviour, but on the behaviour of the owners. For example, do they make a fuss of him before they leave - and by fuss, I mean, do they say, "Good bye. Be a good boy. We'll be right back...etc" If they say ANYTHING to the dog before they leave, they are starting to wind him up before they set foot outside. So before they've even gone, the dog has started to panic.

Dogs are incredibly perceptive. They know when you're going to leave, because they recognise the "leaving" routine. You might pick up a coat, or your purse, or pick up your car keys. All of these things are cues to the dog that something terrible is about to happen. So, what you need to do is to desensitise your dog to these cues. Start picking up your car keys and just moving them around the house. Ignore the dog if it reacts at all. Pick up your coat and move it somewhere else. Do these things until the dog doesn't get bothered by the normal leaving cues.

Then, try a quick separation. Get up and without speaking to the dog, go outside as if you're leaving and wait for one minute. If you can hear the dog starting to panic inside, IGNORE IT. Then, after a minute, simply walk back inside WITHOUT speaking to, or acknowledging the dog in any way. What you're trying to do is to show the dog that you can come and go as you please and it's nothing for it to worry about.

Do this until you can leave for at least 10 minutes without the dog making a fuss. You can practice at home in the evening or whatever. It might take a week for the dog to "get it" - it might take a month. But be persistent and the key thing is to come and go without acknowledging the dog. If you acknowledge the dog, you reaffirm to it that a) it is leader and you're making a fuss of it for that reason, and b) it is right to panic if you leave.

Do not resort to drugging your dog. This will mask the symptoms of the dog's fear, but WILL NOT fix the dog's problem. If anything, it will make it worse, because it will very quickly recognise your leaving with feeling foggy, confused and unable to function properly. How on earth does that help the dog? You can teach your dog to relax by being consistent, patient and respectful of the dog's understanding of the way the world works.

What you suggest Faolomar is in brief along the lines of a program that is commonly followed to rehabilitate a dog who suffers separation distress. Although it is not always as simplistic as it sounds and by the sounds of this dog needs to be combined with other additional behaviour modification techniques as well.

Although I do not believe that "drugs" by themselves is the answer, SOMETIMES they are required in more extreme circumstances and if so should always be in conjunction with a behaviour modification program. I agree that simply administering drugs by themselves in the absence of behaviour modification techniques generally masks the problem (if the drugs are effective at all) rather than treating the cause.

I still recommend the OP engages the services of a behaviourist who will be able to personally observe the severity of the distress and guage the temperament of the dog, investigate leadership and design a program more tailored to suit.

I think they should definately discuss this issue with thier vet. The vet will be able to refer them to an appropriate behaviourist as well as provide medication for the short term.

Not all drugs work by simply sedating. There are drugs available which actually work to calm the animals mind and not just sedate. My 13y/o Golden has been on Clomicalm for the past 6 months due to her anxiety that has come in with old age. She is now much more relaxed and happy, no longer pacing or barking so much (she has 2 other mates in the yard, so is not living alone), but at the same time she is not sedated, foggy etc.

The dose rate of these drugs can be altered with vets advice, so the dose can be reduced as he settles down.

By the sounds of things, the dog is grieving terribly, and I think from the state it sounds like he's in, he would need something to calm his mind down a little in order for him to be able to concentrate on and feel relaxed with, the new behaviour training.

I wouldn't recommend a PUP, but an older, calmer dog just might do the trick. Contact Wei Rescue...they are sure to know of an older dog needing a new home or foster carer. :thumbsup:

I was thinking an adult Wei, too. How old is their dog?

If they don't have enough time for a pup, can they not be there to help their dog get through this difficult time? I'm not trying to be mean, but their dog has gone from having a mate outside 100% of the time to no-one at all in the yard with him most of the time (?) :laugh: .

Wouldn't another dog be a relatively "easy" solution? People have other commitments, of course. If not another dog, a behaviourist?

I know this sounds simplistic but lots of walks...........lots of exercise....heaps..... on lead (as much as possible) and off lead (if possible). not only is the dog grieving for his companion but his whole pack is grieving and this makes his pack seem unstable to him... Not only will walking (and running) tire him out which will help him to shake off some of his distressed, anxious energy but it will make him feel that he still has his place in the pack and that there is some stability.

I was in a similar situation last year when I lost my soul dog :thumbsup:. Obviously this is not the complete solution to your problem but I cannot emphasise enough how much it helped us.

Trying to make life seem grand for your other pooch when you have lost a soul you love dearly is very difficult to do especially when you feel like curling up in a ball and staying that way but we owe it to them.... They are our responsibility........and in focusing on making them feel better and going for loooonnnnnggggg walks we can help heal ourselves in the process.

I still sob for my girl but I can't imagine how much worse I would have been if I hadnt had to make helping my male dog a priority.

They say not to get a new dog whilst you are grieving (not til you are ready) and we were not ready to get another dog but we did. We were sooo (I mean sooooooooooooooooooo) unsure if it was the right thing to do but we got her for him. she is about the same age as him. We love her now in her own right but very much so for how she has helped to heal him (and us). If they do decide to get him a companion they need to be mindful of getting a very mentally stable dog with similar energy levels.