Sensitive Westie Skin

My westie, who is 15 months old has now developed sensitive skin. he is getting washed weekly fortnightly with malaseb. however i am not really noticing a difference.

i have also found that when he eats chicken his poo is very soft, so i have put him on a lamb diet.

any ideas as to how to help him

he doesn't scratch very much, however you can see the redness and feel some small scabs on his back

westiefan - when you say he had scabs on his back - is his skin/coat also greasy? If that it the case - he may have a yeast AND bacterial infection. You will need your vet to do a skin scrape to confirm - and if it is what I think it is - your westie will need 2 lots of antibiotics - one for the yeast and one for the bacteria.

One of my westies is prone to greasy skin/coat with scabs ..... comes and goes.

Personally I stay away from Malaseb etc and wash my westie (with the skin problem) once every 3-4 weeks with sapoderm soap - it does wonders for his skin. Sapoderm is an antibacterial soap which you can buy in chemists and supermarkets.

If you are located in Sydney - I know a FANTASTIC vet in the willoughby area who could help you with your westie.

Admittedly know nothing about Westies, however I groom a couple of them. I only see them twice a year and that is the only baths they have and their skin is great. Both owners were informed by their breeders to only wash dog every six months...... are you bathing him a lot.

Is the Malaseb staying on for ten minutes? I'm a huge fan of Malaseb but understand that it could be a bit harsh for a Westie - I would take him to a vet who has an interest in Dermatology and nip this in the bud.

Are you in Sydney?

Edited by Dru

westiefan - when you say he had scabs on his back - is his skin/coat also greasy? If that it the case - he may have a yeast AND bacterial infection. You will need your vet to do a skin scrape to confirm - and if it is what I think it is - your westie will need 2 lots of antibiotics - one for the yeast and one for the bacteria.

One of my westies is prone to greasy skin/coat with scabs ..... comes and goes.

Personally I stay away from Malaseb etc and wash my westie (with the skin problem) once every 3-4 weeks with sapoderm soap - it does wonders for his skin. Sapoderm is an antibacterial soap which you can buy in chemists and supermarkets.

If you are located in Sydney - I know a FANTASTIC vet in the willoughby area who could help you with your westie.

Westiefan, have to agree with Westielover. Malaseb is great but can be harsh and washing every 2 weeks in an outbreak is not nearly enough. Every 3 days should be done. You can also try Nizoral antifungal shampoo from the chemist or even Selsun blue. Certainly a course of antibiotics such as amoxyclav over 7 days should do the trick but if there is also a yeast infection then he made need anti-fungal orals such as Nizoral tablets. Check out this site http://www.westiemed.org/health/malassezia/.

Big fan of selsun blue & its great for double coated breeds.Would use that over any dog /vet line anyday.

Also how is it groomed is it clipped back short??

We groom alot of westies & board a stack to.

We find the ones with issues arent getting a good diet of essiental fatty acids, are clipped very short & seem much more prone to irritaitions .

Are you using any new spot on products??

What diet was it feed prior to the skin issues,what have you changed (food,house, etc etc))

So far he isn't on any medication. They were wanting to see if the malaseb cleared up his skin.

in terms of his diet, he has always been on a premium dry food with chicken necks, yoghurt and cottage cheese.

However, i am in the process of changing his diet to a more natural one without any wheat.

His is clipped into a traditional westie cut at the moment, so he has quite a short back with a "skirt" at the moment. in summer he is clipped back

Dr Rosalie Mathews sees an enormous amount of Westies as she has an interested in Derm. she's built a great reputation amongst Sydneys Westie owners. She is at Gladesville Vets 9817 5758 and is absolutely fantastic (just in case you are seeking further vet advise).

I would ask the groomer what blade they clip his back with.We will only use a #7 on a westie back,those that are done with #10 or #15 semm to end up with more issues,also what does the groomer bath him in??

My dog (the ultimate Designer Dog :) ( has Westie in him plus two other breeds with sensitive skins if I give him ANY chicken his skin turn pink in that instant a lot of dogs are allergic to chicken and beef.

He used to have hot spots the size of 50cent coins and infections all the time.

Now he eats Kangaroo Barf Patties and Zwikepeak dried Vension and mussels, and not one problem this time. The only grain he has is porridge when he shares mine.

Good luck.

Calliech - great weblink.

My new chi was diagnosed with malassezia. Apparently she had had it for years and her ear canals have really thickened up. She had ear drops from the vet - 4 days cleared up her itchy ears and he recommended the Malaseb 2 - 3 times a week at first, then once a week and hopefully cutting down. I am not a believer in frequent bathing but it has made a difference and she only has a very few itchy patches now. I also found that topical cortisine cream from the chemist (1%) helped relieve sporadic itchy patches between bathing.

Not out of the woods yet but she has improved a great deal.

the poor little boy.

I would take him to another vet. Persoanally i think he is getting bathed too often. I have use malesab and phoyex (sp) on harvey but only as a spot treatment and that was a reaction from frontline (small patch in between shoulder blades). He has no skin problems what so ever since that and that was a couple of years ago (he just turned 4).

I really hope you find out what the problem is with your boy.

Thank you so much for all your comments and advice. Its is greatle appreciated.

I have changed his diet now to an all natural one, he loves his pumpkin and carrots :rainbowbridge: .

His skin does look a little better at the moment. can't feel any scabs at the moment. so fingers crossed it will start to clear up