Best Way To Keep Mosquitoes Away?!

Bulldust

I am in Kerang and currently with sooooooooooooooooo much water around we are being plagued by mosquitoes (not to mention crickets omg!)

We've never seen anything like it, and they are out 24/7 and really getting in to my Maremma's nose, my mums 2 dogs (small fluffy and a Ridgeback) and i have 6wk old puppies here who are almost being carried away.

I had been slathering them in RID roll on, as i cannot get my hands on the natural creme i usually use, its got sandalwood and cedar or something in it. Today my puppies have started getting small bumps on their heads where i roll the RID on :cry: (not surprised really but still :cry: )

Has anyone got any other suggestions until i can get my regular natural stuff? There is no pet stores here and because of all roads being closed bar one which makes travel times alot longer i am unable to make the trip to the nearest decent town atm.

Im also using a Mortein outdoor spray which i sit over the puppies area at nighttime. Since our house flooded i am at my mums and because her asthma gets really bad if animals are inside i cannot have the pups in the house :cry: :cry: :cry: anyone have suggestions for better outdoor management of mozzies as well?

Thank you

I am using odourless aerogard spray on all our dogs twice a day. I have mosquito coils burning as well. Get th e outdoor coils - good ones .. put them in proper holders.. Mortein make a good one- looks like a tin can with holes :)

Keep the coils going 24/7 under pergola/verandah or where the dogs spend time.

Please be careful... I have heard ( no verification that someone lost 3 working sheep dogs to mozzies .. just sucked them dry)

here the mozzies are thick as a bee swarm every night ..and I worry about the animals who don't have mozzie coils (roos etc)

Do you have any lavender oil? That works a little ..

With the RID .. put gloves on.. slather your hands, and rub it gently over the pup's fur .. trying to avoid it getting to their skin.... just ruffle their coats ..especially belly/legs/heads

I understand your problem :)

We have an Oops litter of 4 week olds here.. and , touch wood, mozzie coils in their kennel 24/7 seems to be doing the trick.

It is so cruel...even watching the poor birds in trees at night.. they tuck heads under wings.. but their legs are covered in a layer of mozzies.

nasty

Every summer when the mozzies get too bad I get the 'pest guys' in. They spray over the shrubs, trees, under verandahs, on all side & overhead surfaces in the kennels and exercise yards, gates, etc. It is absolutely fantastic and guaranteed safe for pets once it is dry. Even so I am very particular where they can spray - I make sure the spray doesn't go on grass or the ground where the dogs would run.

I usually get 2 treatments during the summer period and I can't recommend it enough!

Advantix is also supposed to keep mozzies away from dogs but I found that side of things only lasted for about 2 weeks if that.

With the RID .. put gloves on.. slather your hands, and rub it gently over the pup's fur .. trying to avoid it getting to their skin.... just ruffle their coats ..especially belly/legs/heads

You don't find the dogs tend to lick it off Perse?

I use those plug in electric pads things inside. Works.

Outside I have used mozzie coils successfully but you need to set up a lot of them at all points to the wind.

I know you can get outdoor squirties but I hear they're expensive. And I think you can get the pad things for outside run by candle power but you'd need at least one for every wind direction. One by itself is not very effective.

I've got the rosemary and sandlewood stuff but I find it doesn't work for me and my hound.

There are little sonic repellers but I have found they don't work reliably either. Ie was bitten when I had one working on me. Sigh.

Thanks for the replies, i did find the Rufus and Coca spray in the supermarket and tried it one night, the next morning one pup had hives all over her :thumbsup: so thats been chucked out. I continue with the outdoor spray which seems to work, i just worry about it settling in their water, thanks Pers might try the outdoor coils instead ;)

Hopefully tomorrow i can get my hands on the natural stuff. Can dogs catch anything from mozzies??

ETA a pic of most of the babies :thumbsup:

DSCF0956.jpg

Edited by Bulldust

Thanks for the replies, i did find the Rufus and Coca spray in the supermarket and tried it one night, the next morning one pup had hives all over her :thumbsup: so thats been chucked out. I continue with the outdoor spray which seems to work, i just worry about it settling in their water, thanks Pers might try the outdoor coils instead ;)

Hopefully tomorrow i can get my hands on the natural stuff. Can dogs catch anything from mozzies??

ETA a pic of most of the babies :thumbsup:

DSCF0956.jpg

heartworm not sure of anything else

eta gorgeous pups :thumbsup:

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

Thanks for the replies, i did find the Rufus and Coca spray in the supermarket and tried it one night, the next morning one pup had hives all over her :rofl: so thats been chucked out. I continue with the outdoor spray which seems to work, i just worry about it settling in their water, thanks Pers might try the outdoor coils instead :(

ETA a pic of most of the babies :eek:

DSCF0956.jpg

Oh my the babies have grown!!!!! :rofl::rofl: ;)

Something else you can try, is Apple Cider Vinegar. Make up a spray 50/50 with water, and I also put it on my dogs food. My German Shepherds have 1 tbsp on their meal at night. It is supposed to be good for fleas, but may help with the mozzies. We are going through a very bad season for fleas at the moment. Might be worth a try as well as the good advice you have already had. I will certainly be giving Repel-x a try too. I have 7 puppies at home at the moment and I can identify with the picture you have up of yours. Moving forward can be very difficult without stepping on any lol. Beautiful pups you have there.

I'm sure there was an email doing the rounds a while back about diluted Listerine in a spray bottle. I think the ratio was 1:1 Listerine to water. Snopes says it doesn't work but in other websites there are users who say it works well.

If anyone does try it, I'd be interested to hear your results. Thankfully we don't have many mozzies so have not tried it.

Good luck. The little suckers are really annoying.