Urine Killing Grass

hannos

I *think* dry food is a big factor in urine burn on grass...

There is a product called "Dog Rocks" that are supposed to stop the burn, I haven't used them... but have heard good things about them.

As do a lot of people online here, I add a small slurp of apple cider vinegar to the dogs water... it stops the algae and also seems to stop the burn on the lawn.

Hmmmm I am very interested in this thread as I've noticed dead patches in my back yard and noticed its where Minx pee's, but I put apple cider vinegar in her dinner? so this isn't working then :rofl:

Edited by kittyhawklee

I read ChelseasMum links about ACV and now I'm really confused :rofl::) everyone said to add to water, yet I was told afew months ago to add it to food, which I have been doing, so is this wrong?

also my older dog (Border Collie) doesn't burn the grass only seems to be in Minx area??

There is a product called "Dog Rocks" that are supposed to stop the burn, I haven't used them... but have heard good things about them.

As do a lot of people online here, I add a small slurp of apple cider vinegar to the dogs water... it stops the algae and also seems to stop the burn on the lawn.

Couldn't agree with you more on both the dog rocks and apple cider vinegar!!!!!

:rofl::) ;)

ETA

I was told afew months ago to add it to food, which I have been doing, so is this wrong?

I do this, add it to the food not in the water and that coupled with the rocks seems to be helping! Not perfect but much better then it was!!!!!

Edited by Alibear

same here kittyhawklee...i use ACV in Sasha's food and we have charming circles of "burnt" grass...I also put yogurt in 2-3 times a week.

would love to find a cheap solution to the problem

Yoghurt is a fallacy. I feed my dogs yoghurt almost every morning and I had problems with them killing plants that they weed on (our grass is thankfully dog proof). The only thing that has stopped it was the dog rock. As for expense - $9 every 10 weeks works out at roughly 90 cents per week..... bloody cheaper then yoghurt!

Yes - really peculiar but the rocks work for us. We use to have HUGE patches on our lawn but reduced dramatically after these magical rocks. What the goony googoo is in them rocks? And why do we have to change them 2-3 months? What's with that? I thought rocks were rocks. hmmm... ours is not to question why... :rofl:

the lady at the pet suplies place i go to said these were fantasic.... i hane tried them yet , my 3 dont seem to have that problem on grass but have noticed a few plants turning their leaves up... and if it stops the alge in the water as well bonus... only trouble is if my lab notices something in the water he will most likely be dunking his head in the bucket to fetch it...lol can just see it now... hed be so good at apple bobbing..!! lol

Dog Rocks are available from "It's a dog shop"

From the site:-

DOG ROCKS are an all Australian natural product that are safe for all of your pets, young and old. DOG ROCKS will start improving your lawn within 5 weeks. DOG ROCKS need to be replaced every 2 months to ensure your pets do the job of looking after your lush lawn. To be placed into no more than 2 litres of water.

Dog rocks are a mineralised rock which when placed in a dog’s water bowl changes the Nitrogen levels of a dog’s urine, meaning it won’t stain grass.

Many dog owners complain that their grass has been permanently stained or burned by their dog’s urine.  There are a variety of products in the market that try to stop dogs urinating on grass, but Dogrocks is the first that stops urine actually staining grass.

The key element in Dog Rocks is Zeolite, which neutralises Nitrogen levels without altering the pH level of the water.  This is important as a change in pH level can affect a dog’s health.

Dog Rocks have been extensively tested on a variety of puppies and mature dogs, and the product has proven to be safe and effective every time.

Haven't tried them myself though :rofl: .

Cheers,

Corine