Tango...great News.....

Young bloke continues to improve - I didn't realise just how different he has been to his normal self till yesterday!! My next question - atm I'm feeding him a low fat diet of chicken mince (low fat), rice, oatmeal, vegies, pasta...which he absolutely adores!! and I've just changed him off Supercoat while we see if that has been 'causing' his other little problem of lumps on his scrotum......

oh yes, now the question :kissbetter: - can I keep him on a diet with 25% chicken mince, 50% vegies/ rice/ oatmeal and have the dry foot as say 25% or should the proportions be different?

Cheeky, big hugs to him given from you guys......but I'll pass on the lick thanks :hug: Little bloke grinned back!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey TD, glad to hear there doesn't seem to be any lasting ill effects.

Just an idea, you said he had vomited grass. Is it possible the grass came from a boundary fence where possibly neighbours, council could have sprayed say Roundup or something similar/

The fact that he threw it up means he didn't get a good dose but the membranes in the mouth do absorb very quickly as you would be aware.

Just an idea, but so glad the boy is feeling great.

Have checked with neighbours - no-one sprayed or used anything that might cause a problem, council don't spray. He's had no reaction to anything since, so I'm wondering whether it was a Euro wasp and he mouthed it enough to get stung and had an allegic reaction (there were a few out the back where we'd dug a drain in the clay).

He's finally back onto a normal diet (ie: not just chicken mince and vegies) and I'm feeding him 4 times a day to get some weight back on him quickly as the weather is just stating to turn cold and he's very 'trim'. Decided not to show this weekend, cold, wet, skinny dog (but healthy) - am 'forcing' him to lie in front of the heater and sleep :)

Thanks to everyone for your support :thumbsup::):mad - you guys helped me stop worrying myself insane (like I think we all do when a furkid is not well)

• 1 month later...

Looks like it's epilepsy - he had a classic seizure fortunately in the loungeroom so a) he didn't hurt himself and b) I could see so I could describe it to the vet. Also wasn't as bad as the last one because he didn't lose mucous membrane colour or refill at all, was much better co-ordinated and had settled completely within 45 minutes. Off to the vet in the morning for another bloodtest and to start on whatever the drug is starting with p..which I've forgotten because I'm exhausted......poor little sod....

can anyone direct me to some reading please - I need to learn very quickly as much about it as I can....

atm, he's just had tea and is lounging across my feet and my chair under the desk in front of the heater like he always does....sigh - life's not fair sometimes.......

Looks like it's epilepsy - he had a classic seizure fortunately in the loungeroom so a) he didn't hurt himself and b) I could see so I could describe it to the vet. Also wasn't as bad as the last one because he didn't lose mucous membrane colour or refill at all, was much better co-ordinated and had settled completely within 45 minutes. Off to the vet in the morning for another bloodtest and to start on whatever the drug is starting with p..which I've forgotten because I'm exhausted......poor little sod....

can anyone direct me to some reading please - I need to learn very quickly as much about it as I can....

atm, he's just had tea and is lounging across my feet and my chair under the desk in front of the heater like he always does....sigh - life's not fair sometimes.......

poor thing :) good luck!

(sorry I can't help :) , and can only offer moral support :o :p )

Off to the vet in the morning for another bloodtest and to start on whatever the drug is starting with p..which I've forgotten because I'm exhausted......poor little sod....

Phenobarbitol or pheno for short. Also commonly known as Pb.

can anyone direct me to some reading please - I need to learn very quickly as much about it as I can...

Try these sites;

Canine Epilepsy - UK

Canine Epilepsy (US site)

The one above has a list you can join with memebers from across the world. A Vet and a Nutritionist are also offical members to provide advice.

Guardian Angels

These three will have everything and more you need.

It is with sadness I say - Welcome to the epi club. :p

Hi Puggles,

with sadness, we accept your welcome.

Little bloke had blood tests today that came back perfect and started pheno tonight. Fortunately, after going back through conversations and observations of the 2 incidents, Tango gives up to 36 hours notice of an impending attack, and now I know the signs I can put some things in place that will help me 'control' their occurrence with a slight change in routine and Rescue Remedy prior to...hopefully, those and the pheno will help either get across it with only a weak attack or keep it at moderate like last night. They also seem to happen at the same time of day when they do happen (the first 2 were 47 days apart) :laugh:

He's been overstimulated by everything today except in the vets, he was the perfect gentleman..the vet still can't believe that he has an entire male GSP who doesn't hurtle about like a looney - in fact I sit there watching tango wondering whose dog I actually have there :mad Little bloke is lying in front of the heater after his entree (a rather late breakfast before I feed him his tea)...

Edited by TangerineDream

Oh my gosh :laugh: that's just so heart wrenching.... i'm so sorry it turned out to be your worst fear, unfortunatly our intuition on these things often get ignored or talked out of.

Sounds like your life style can addapt to his 'now" special needs. Can keep an eye on him at work etc.

my heart goes out to you.. BIG hug to you lil'man from me, K ?!

:mad keep being strong like you are.. best of luck with new meds and the pre-seizure-remidies

I'm so sorry to hear about Tango :) Hugs to both of you :confused: :D It's so scary, I have been through it with Bailey. Although they haven't put him on meds. Hang in there, I'm sure with the med's Tango will improve. The links Puggles gave you were very helpful for me ;)

Edited by Weimlover

Just checked to see how Tango was going, poor little darling man. He'll be okay, the hardest part is watching them have their fit and not being able to do anything at that time. Our brittany has epilisy too "(, though she doesn't have meds at this stage because she only fits a couple of times a year.

Sounds like you have it all sorted out ") Big hugs to you both. :confused:

Thanks for your kind thoughts! Cuddles duly handed out and gratefully accept with return wide body wiggles. Vet said that he might be a bit spaced out on the tablets.....naaahhhhh....I've just watched No 1 lunatic hurtling around the house burning off excess energy and throwing a tennis ball at me...nothing spaced out about this and no quieter either...think he's feeling better again. Now we wait...

Be prepared for a bit of a changing road with the tablets. They usually need several adjustments beofre you get them right. Also be prepared that many dogs still have seizures after they have commenced medication. The medication is not a cure but simply a control.

He may zonk out for a bit here and there and he may sleep far more soundly. All this will depend on the levels he is taking. If the pheno doesn't work on it's own they may intorduce a second drug called Bromide. This will increase the side effects and also has a set of it's own side effects.

It can take up to 3 months beofre the body adapts to the drugs sometimes and this is where you need patience. One of the main problems happens when people see the initial reaction to the drugs (lethargy, depression) and do not ride it out for the 3 months. The body will adjust after a while and a lot of the symptoms will dissappear a great deal, but usually never completely.

Some of the symptoms you might notice will be;

Increase thirst (and resulting urination)

Pacing and restlessness

Lethargy and depression

Increased appetite

Heavier sleeping patterns

Weakness in the hind leg area (aka ataxia)

Some or all of these may be noticed. It really depends on the levels of drugs he is given. If he is on a low dosage you might not notice anything.

Don't hesitate to pm me if I can help in any way.

Edited by Puggles

We have no sign of dopiness as far as being depressed goes...last night he was hyperactive, driven, enthusiastic, puppyish, nagging, distracted - I wondered if that was a sign as I'd had the feeling that he'd had a mild bout 48 hours after the first one in May - and that would have made it last night, so I gave him some Rescue Remedy which had no effect at all :kissbetter: ..one interesting thing I did notice is that when I turned the radio off and the budgies (who shout constantly and have done all his life) finally shut up...he suddenly managed to stand still and then happily went off to bed with me and slept well........ :(

I wonder if he's still 'oversensitive' to stimuli......

Edited by TangerineDream

Looks like it's epilepsy - ...

You've probably done a lot of reading and talking by now and this may be old hat . . . but in case you haven't picked up on it, epilepsy is hard to diagnose. I had a girl who had one tremendous grand mal seizure (at about three years old) and then never had another. I'm sure it feels good in a way to have a positive diagnosis, but keep an open mind. If he doesn't respond to meds as expected, it could be because it isn't classic epilepsy.

You're right - I'm hoping that it isn't too and I've got an open mind until I can't avoid admitting it to myself that it has to be.....I'm logging everything and watching closely.

Tonight after a walk and a bit of a supervised run under floodlight in the backyard (I haven't been able to get him out for the last 2 nights due to 90kmh winds and horizontal rain) he's more settled and much more like himself - more aware of what's around him compared to last night and not at all fidgetty.... ;) :o

We'll see if the cycle repeats ...... will be absolutely delighted if it doesn't, but prepared for it if it does.

Have placed an order for a new Forester (the current Forester's done 263,000kms in less than 4 and a half years) and the next one will have a cargo barrier behind the front seat and a barrier and gate at the back, tinted windows and a sunroof....I buy my cars for my dogs and I thought Tango would approve :D - better than being crated in the car... :D

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the last set of blood tests back yesterday...and the level of aluminium in his blood was way higher than usual...that fits with the change to the deoderent that I was using.... which I have now changed back to what i was using before...his behaviour is also normal since I stopped using it.....so YAY!! :( we know what the problem is - it was the deoderant!!!!

I've thrown it out and would recommend from what I have discovered, not (**under any circumstances**) to use the spray on Dove Anti-Persirant Fresh Touch Deoderant with Cucumber and Green tea Extracts.

Finally got the last set of blood tests back yesterday...and the level of aluminium in his blood was way higher than usual...that fits with the change to the deoderent that I was using.... which I have now changed back to what i was using before...his behaviour is also normal since I stopped using it.....so YAY!! :( we know what the problem is - it was the deoderant!!!!

I've thrown it out and would recommend from what I have discovered, not (**under any circumstances**) to use the spray on Dove Anti-Persirant Fresh Touch Deoderant with Cucumber and Green tea Extracts.

Good news, but how could it be your deodorant? Does he get it sprayed on him somehow?

I haven't read all the thread :)

There is aluminium in door frames, dog bed frames, saucepans, bowls..all sorts of things. Could he have chewed/licked/ ingested it from there, perhaps?

I guess, tho, I am speaking from the aspect of our dogs not being in the bathroom where they could be exposed to deodorants & such.

Guess it's possible .

Hope he continues to improve!