Meal Suggestions For A Very Fussy Gsd Pls

So far she won't eat chicken mince or any type dry food I have offered her, she WILL eat chicken necks, wings, frames etc and not much else.

Am worried that she is not getting enough nutrition or even enough to eat although she has gained around 1.5kg in three 3 weeks I have had her.

She is around two and I have no idea what she was fed in the past

I too had a fussy gsd.She would turn her nose up at most things and i even had to hand feed her at one stage.

I've since got her onto Nutro and she devours it all although i have since gotton another gsd and i think that helps as she dosen't want her to get anything

good luck,maybe it's just a settleing in thing if you've only had her a short time.

trust me, if she is hungry she will eat exactly what is put out in front of her - you are creating the problem by pandering to her fussiness - she knows how to play you. And you need to become smarter - it might take a few days but believe me when she is hungry she WILL eat ANYTHING!!

Your dog will not starve herself.

I had a fussy dog who would only eat a certain food when I first got him...it took 2 days of me not giving in, but he soon found out that if he didn't like what i put down in front of him then there wouldn't be any alternatives. No dog is going to dictate to me what they are going to eat.

Anyways, good luck with whatever path you chose to take.

trust me, if she is hungry she will eat exactly what is put out in front of her - you are creating the problem by pandering to her fussiness - she knows how to play you. And you need to become smarter - it might take a few days but believe me when she is hungry she WILL eat ANYTHING!!

I had a fussy dog who would only eat a certain food when I first got him...it took 2 days of me not giving in, but he soon found out that if he didn't like what i put down in front of him then there wouldn't be any alternatives. No dog is going to dictate to me what they are going to eat.

K that's for that "we" are playing the "who is the stronger"at the atm, tonight I am winning çause she has put herself to bed with the "sulks, a bowl of uneaten food and an empty belly :p

K that's for that "we" are playing the "who is the stronger"at the atm, tonight I am winning çause she has put herself to bed with the "sulks, a bowl of uneaten food and an empty belly :p

Cut the meal to about a 1/4 put that in her bowl tonight of whatever time you choose for dinner and offer that to her. Give her about 15 minutes and if she hasn't eaten it all put it away until the next meal.

Do not feel sorry for her and do not give her any treats at all between meals.

Unless she has a medical condition ( get her checked by your vet if you haven't already ) then there is no reason why she should not eat. Stick with it, you will win in the end.

ETA: I have also found that some dogs will not eat out of a bowl, I've taken to tipping their dinner on the kennel floor and it's gone in seconds.

Edited by Warley

K that's for that "we" are playing the "who is the stronger"at the atm, tonight I am winning çause she has put herself to bed with the "sulks, a bowl of uneaten food and an empty belly :banghead:

Cut the meal to about a 1/4 put that in her bowl tonight of whatever time you choose for dinner and offer that to her. Give her about 15 minutes and if she hasn't eaten it all put it away until the next meal.

Do not feel sorry for her and do not give her any treats at all between meals.

Unless she has a medical condition ( get her checked by your vet if you haven't already ) then there is no reason why she should not eat. Stick with it, you will win in the end.

ETA: I have also found that some dogs will not eat out of a bowl, I've taken to tipping their dinner on the kennel floor and it's gone in seconds.

She is very healthy ( no probs at all ) just VERY stubborn me thinks :p

My GSD is the same. He often refuses to eat dinner and is too thin. But, as the vet says, while he may loose weight he won't actually starve himself.

It does feel mean, when all I have to do is add a bit of tinned food and whoosh the bowl is empty.

We have also tried nearly every type of dried food available and nothing seems to help.

Stubborn is a good word :hug:

Edited by kamuzz

We're the same, some fussy buggars in the yard.

The fussy one gets the same as the others, but I do add a little cat tin food. Works a treat, gives it a little flavour, or another one I use to give my cat was brewers yeast. Once again, just gives it a little flavour, it can be purchased at Woolies, Coles etc.................

Good luck......... :D

My GSD is the same. He often refuses to eat dinner and is too thin. But, as the vet says, while he may loose weight he won't actually starve himself.

It does feel mean, when all I have to do is add a bit of tinned food and whoosh the bowl is empty.

We have also tried nearly every type of dried food available and nothing seems to help.

Stubborn is a good word :D

Yeah BUT I am more "stubborner" ;)

K that's for that "we" are playing the "who is the stronger"at the atm, tonight I am winning çause she has put herself to bed with the "sulks, a bowl of uneaten food and an empty belly ;)

That's a good move, when we had our fussy GSD we used to play aeroplanes with the food :D

My GSD went through the fussy eater stage ...

I would put his bowl down for 15 to 20 minutes and if he didn't eat it then it was taken away and he didn't get anything else until the next meal. When he went a few days without eating but he soon realised he had to eat what he was given or go without.

Now ... he is the first dog to lick the bowl clean. :D

That she's gained, not lost, weight since she's been with you is a good sign. Still settling in, perhaps?

My standard poodle follows me around whenever I go into the kitchen, hoping for some more fresh food and leaving dry in the bowl. I probably feed about 50:50 fresh (chicken wings, necks, mince etc.): kibble. He later gives up on me and goes and eats the dry food in his bowl. What's not eaten by bedtime, goes away.

I actually did get him a little underweight by strictly following feeding instructions for his dry food- he was clearly still hungry and wanted more food of ANY kind. Novice large breed owner here.

My German Shepherds eat everything put in front of them, have never had this problem.

My Shepherd Bitch even comes and tells us when it's time to be fed, she can tell the time. :hug::hug::kissbetter:

Edited by tarope