Dog Bicycle Leash

What do you guys think of this bicycle attachment?

http://www.bikerdog.com/stills.html

I just got one for my kelpie x and he absolutely loves it. I never jogged fast enough for him, and now he can sprint alongside my bike without me worrying he's going to run off or get under my wheels.

Just wondered if anyone else had used something similar and what you think of it.

I just got one for my kelpie x and he absolutely loves it. I never jogged fast enough for him, and now he can sprint alongside my bike without me worrying he's going to run off or get under my wheels.

Just wondered if anyone else had used something similar and what you think of it.

I am so glad you posted this. I have been considering a similar thing for a while but had my doubts. How is it going? Did you get it in OZ? where from and how much?

I am so glad you posted this. I have been considering a similar thing for a while but had my doubts. How is it going? Did you get it in OZ? where from and how much?

I couldn't find it in Oz unfortunately, so I ordered it from the US. It was expensive, but I got two (one for my other half so we can take both dogs out together). It will be about $US90 for one (incl postage). I think it was worth it because he just wasn't getting enough exercise with 2x 40min walks. Now he gets a 30 min run in the morning, and a walk at night. He's less destructive, and I think a bit more relaxed.

He took to it straight away, but for the moment we're sticking to quiet streets while we do some training. He lunged a few times at other dogs we passed, but it's easy to keep your balance. I just need to work on keeping his attention.

Although it says it can go either on the left or right of the bike, the contraption is American, so it is designed to go on the right hand side. On the left it sits too low, and your foot would hit it on the way around. When I told the seller, he sent me out a modified one, which I'm yet to try. Will let you know...

This is true. Thanks Sway :D

I made my decision after reading some reviews of all the products I could find. This one seemed the best for my requirements, but by all means do your own research.

My biggest testimonial is that my kelpie is crashed out on a beanbag and it's only 8:30... :)

Yes the Springer work great. Has a safety device so that if something happens the clip breaks - made of plastic. A supply of for clips supplied with the Springer. Good Idea as I was worried if something happened, like I fell off , could the dog get away from the bike unhurt etc.

has any 1 used this on any strong pulling breed dogs

i have thought about getting 1 for my rottie but he is strong enough to pull me off my feet and i am 140kg and he often lunges at cars and bikes and what not

so i wanna know if i have a death wish by using it

will definately be looking into this!! We run our viz on the bike for 10ks. I am a new rider (never had a bike before and am wobbly!!) so holding the lead with a flat out viz can be daunting for me!! Biking is so good and she loves it madly, and is easy to live with afterwards!!! :rofl:

Cramet,

My Dobermann will pull & I have not had any issues using a springer. It is designed to absorb any big lunges without pulling you or the bike over.

I use a flat collar attached to the devise but will leave a check chain on him with the lead held in my hand, this way I can make sure I have his attention if there is anything making him distracted (aka off leash fluffy acting like an entree). He got used to it very quickly and LOVES going for an outing.

I take the springer off for a while to get him used to just me holding him as we are doing the endurance title in August. The only thing I found worked better for me was putting the rear brake control on the right side so I can slow down or brake without having to move my left hand.

Good luck

I've been thinking about getting one of these (and a bike :laugh:) but I didn't know how safe it was?

I took Bondi to a park with a bike and had a ride around with her, I felt safe because if she pulled etc I could just drop the lead and not be pulled over, but I wouldnt be able to do that on paths/roads. If you are going at a reasonable speed and the dog lunges/pulls would it pull you over? And is the dog prevented from being able to get under the wheel?

I wasn't going to bite but seeing we are in the training section........

Why don't you just teach your dog to run next to your bike and not bother with the lead at all? It sounds like most of you already do a bit of training anyway so surely it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to extend it to a ride on the bike.

I used to tie 2 greyhounds to the handle bars of my BMX twice a day as a kid until they spotted a rabbit one afternoon. Never tied a dog to a bike again. :laugh: