Cartrophen Injections

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will usually see a marked improvement after the first injection and its not unusual for the dog to still have some soreness.You just have to wait until the course is given.I treated my dog with cartrophen that I obtained via some friends.Dog had done an ACL which was confirmed when I took him to the vet.I chose not to have it operated on.I penned him up for nearly 6 months.Gave him the first injection an noticed a difference continued to give him the next 3 a week apart and he started to come good.Few months later pulled up sore again.I gave him another injection and he was fine.It is now almost 12 months since he did it and he hasnt had an injection for more than 3 months and he is fine and running around like a young pup.

Give it a bit of time it will take weeks not overnight and I know it is stressful but it will do some good.Joint guard is good but there are other products out there.Also add calcium ascorbate (ester c) it will help and it wont cause any harm.

I get the Sylvet tablets from the vet and she also gets my Traumeel tablets for me too. I have tried health food stores and they don't seem to stock them. I think she goes direct to a supplier in Melbourne.

Is it The Yoga Room, at St Ives that you get your Traumeel from? I go to see an osteopath there and she offerred me the tablets but I share the dogs :rolleyes:

No I don't think it's the Yoga room (it could be). It's a website and they used to have an online shop where I bought my Traumeel cream but I think that's been closed. I've emailed them for more info.

It may go by another name but that one seems to be the "big" one in St Ives. I live just about 5 minutes drive away.

it is largely diet related

If it is diet related then how come my other pup which is nearly 15 months is in excellent condition? Just wondering that is all. I feed a good quality food to both of them and have used the same food and never changed it.

Edited by morphjk

Even without knowledge of OCD I can answer that one, every dog is different. I have multiple dogs here and feed different food to quite a few as what does well for most dogs doesn’t suit everyone. Studies do show that puppy diets that are high in protein can do more damage that good. In fact I do not feed puppy food and I do not recommend it to my puppy buyers. I was not trying to imply you had neglected your dog but perhaps the one you have now has grown at a more rapid rate than your older one? I really recommend you start a thread over in breeders asking about OCD, what can it hurt.

I was not trying to imply you had neglected your dog but perhaps the one you have now has grown at a more rapid rate than your older one?

Don't worry I didn't take it that you were. I don't really think that he has grown that rapidly and he is the only one from the litter that has developed it. First time that any of the breeders dogs has developed it.

I really recommend you start a thread over in breeders asking about OCD, what can it hurt.

I don't think I will start one because from all the research that I have done it seems that it could be cause by so many different things. It seems to be just one of these things that they don't really know much about what cause it.

And again I didn't take any offence to anything you have written.

There is also a capsule called Sylvet, which is given once a week and has almost the same effect as the Cartrophen injections.

My dog has a Traumeel tablet once a day, which is a homeopathic anti-inflammatory, acupuncture once a month and trigger point therapy and chiropractic treatment every 3 months. When we first started the acupuncture it was up and down for about 6 weeks but now really helps her.

Do you need to get the Sylvet Capsules from the vet?

Also do you get the Traumeel from St. Ives. I use Traumeel cream but I suspect the tablets might be more effective.

I would be very interested if you would educate me with these two product. Thanks.

I wouldnt bother with the Sylvet capsules, from what my vet has told me they arent as good as having the injections!!! You get better results from the injection!

Every dog has different results to Cartrophen so hang in there until his 4th injection and see how he goes.

Keep up the Joint Guard though, because it will help him long term!!

I wouldnt bother with the Sylvet capsules, from what my vet has told me they arent as good as having the injections!!! You get better results from the injection!

Every dog has different results to Cartrophen so hang in there until his 4th injection and see how he goes.

:rolleyes: They're both the same ingredient. Is you vet getting a consult/revisit fee each time you go to have the cartrophen needle? Both work equally the same.

-WithEverythingIAm

:rolleyes: They're both the same ingredient. Is you vet getting a consult/revisit fee each time you go to have the cartrophen needle? Both work equally the same.

-WithEverythingIAm

From what my vet said, the ingredient holds better as an injection rather than as a capsule.

Don't bother with the capsules they're pretty much a waste of time.

The injections are the way to go, they really do work. We give all our older rescue dogs and any

dogs with dodgy knees the full course and then one injection either every 3 months or each month

depending on how bad their joints are. You have to be a little patient and wait until the 4th injection

to see the results, they are usually quite amazing. I must admit we did treat one dog and they

had no effect but all the other dogs were up and running around like puppies after the 4th injection.

For older dogs you must keep their weight down to reduce the strain on the joints and of

course keep them warm inside - cool weather causes the joints to ache and become stiff. If you do the

cartrophen course of 4 injections and then one injection each month seeing your puppy is so bad he should

improve dramatically, then add in a fish oil capsule each day and he should be running around like a mad

thing. Good luck.

From what I recall they sound like cartrophen capsules but apparently they were taken off the market because they didnt work and vets stopped using them,It looks like Sylvet are a generic version of the cartrophen capsules???

I was using cartrophen before it was really common place with my dearly departed ACD. It was pretty expensive back then so my vet (who I worked for) sold me a bottle and the needles and I gave Dolly monthly injections. I have no doubt that it really did help in her twilight years.

Poor puppy though - I hope he's up and about soon!

Keep up the Joint Guard though, because it will help him long term!!

en.

. She is 6yo now and will remain on Joint Guard. I would like to try the Sylvet together with the Traumeel tablets, for which I have placed and order. We still use the Traumeel cream as a massage.

I'm eager for any advice please.

Sorry for the long post and I hope I've explained myself clearly.

Where did you end up ordering the Traumeel tablets from,CavNrott ?

Can't remember if you said you've tried metacam or Zubrin, Cavnrot.

Cartrophen didn't do anything for my last old dog but these did.

I've got my current old rottie on metacam and had a huge improvement within hours of the first dose. We may try cartrophen a little later.

Interesting to read that some dogs did not have much success with Cartrophen shots. Diesel has his first 4 week course of shots at approx 5months & showed no improvement. As they still had not diagnosed the ED, he then went on a 2nd courses of them 2 weeks after & still no improvement. He was then diagnosed with ED & 1 week later operated on with another course of cartrophen shots 8 weeks after that. Still no improvement. We then put him firstly on blackmores glucosamine & fish oil caps & saw a vast improvement in 1-2 weeks & he's been on joint guard now for around 3 months & it seems to have helped quite remarkably.

He will soon be due for another course cartrophen shots (I'm told 6monthly is the go) & I'm not sure if I should go ahead. The shots seem to make him quite depressed & sleepy for the first 2 days & have previously not shown any improvement... but I' not sure if the last one did not show any im provement was mearly because 8 weeks after the op he would ahve still been recovering from the ulna ostectomy :confused: