Herbal Alternative

Howdy doody Dolers, I was just wondering if anyone has some sort of home made herbal alternative for a wound cleanser?

Poor ol Tess has a small cut right in between the pads on her front paw, bleeding a little but not much. She keeps licking & biting at it making it worse. :rofl:

I checked for grass seeds but only found a small cut. She probably broke the skin on a stick whilst doing zoomies around the yard.

Anyway I got out the wound cleanser I've had stored away & discovered it was out of date. I've hardly used it as the girls haven't had alot of injuries so the bloody bottle was basically still full. Such a waste of money really.

Insted of going out to buy another bottle, I thought an alternative might be better. That way I can make up small portions when needed.

If anyone has a home remedy for a wound cleanser I would love to use it.

Feel free to post any other home remedies too for our loving furbabies. :laugh:

Try Colloidal Silver. Not able to make it up yourself unless you have a generator to do so but if you buy a bottle from the health shop it will last for ages and ages and you can use it for both the dogs and yourself and a multitude of other things too.

A teaspoon of salt in half a litre of warm water is a good cleaner and antiseptic.

I use yarrow extract put straight onto the wound as it stops bleeding and is antiseptic, then comfrey to aid healing.

"Pinnacle Herbal Cream" (easy enough to find on the net) is brilliant for pretty much everything human and furbaby - a 250g tub lasts forever, it's only about $38, and they deliver to your door next day. I use it for all cuts, abrasions, skin eruptions and allergies, bruising, insect bites....sounds like the House of Injuries here! :thumbsup:

Nothing like good old salt water to clean. Then lightly dry it off and put paw paw ointment on it. Failing that, honey is an old old remedy that still works wonders for just about anything. However, dogs like licking this and the paw paw ointment off so make sure they can't get to it! I'd also only cover the wound as a last resort - fresh air helps.

I've never heard of colloidal silver - what is it and what else would you use it for?

'Colloidal' is when minute particles are suspended in a solution. A colloidal silver has particles so tiny and light that they float in water. The difference with a heavy metal is that the heavy metal will sink. So, in our bodies, a heavy metal will lodge in the cells and be very difficult to remove, whereas colloidal metal will float in the bloodstream and cellular fluids that can be easily absorbed and eliminated. Colloidal silver takes the oxygen enzyme out of bacteria, fungus and viruses - which kills them in minutes, and oxygenates the blood, meaning increased recovery with the reduced infection. You can drink colloidal silver 'infused' water, or apply it as a topical gel as an antiseptic, and to heal allergies, fungal infections, burns, dermatitis and stuff like that. Claims that it can cure Parvo have been made, and I have no reason to doubt that it can!

A teaspoon of salt in half a litre of warm water is a good cleaner and antiseptic.
Yes, I'd go with that, you can even add a teaspoon of vinegar to that mix.

With the foot you might also want to consider that it needs to be kept dry too, so some of the nappy rash/prickly heat powders with zinc can help, (human or dog preparations are fine for this particular treatment) of course you wouldn't want the dog to be licking that up for an extended period of time.

If it is stubborn and not looking like healing you could also try MediCreme, (similar to Savlon) it has a mild anaesthetic (numbing) product in it and is good for fighting off Staphylococcus bacterial infections (they can get that from the licking or treading in nasty stuff)

Manuka honey is good to, available at Woolies these days, so try them first before paying too much for it.

What about tea tree oil, or would that burn too much?

You should not use oils on open wounds. But apart from that it's great. :rofl:

I can also recommend Calendula.

Best recipe is 200 ml boiling water, add 1 tblspoon of seasalt and 1tblsspoon of Calendula essence.

As soon as it is cooled down you can use it on wounds and itching skin. :confused:

I alway keep some of the above mixture ready to go in a glass spray bottle. :rofl:

What about tea tree oil, or would that burn too much?

You should not use oils on open wounds. But apart from that it's great. :rofl:

I can also recommend Calendula.

Best recipe is 200 ml boiling water, add 1 tblspoon of seasalt and 1tblsspoon of Calendula essence.

As soon as it is cooled down you can use it on wounds and itching skin. :confused:

I alway keep some of the above mixture ready to go in a glass spray bottle. :rofl:

This one sounds like a great home remedy. :rofl: