Shampoo

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, no factual info.

Things you use eucalytpus oil for: washing floors (a small capful, recommmended by the guy that laid some laminate at our place) and remove persistent sticky residue off CDs. (the price) and other plastics. Used it at work instead of 70% alcohol because it worked better :rofl: .

Also, poodles are the wooliest breed, I think? I don't know any poodle people who use Woolmix.

I remember a young girl I used to work with- you'd wash her hair in the cheapest, no name shampoo and her hair looked great. No special diet. Youth and genetics, I reckon :rofl: .

You guys know Laser Lites is just human shampoo, right? And I suspect most of Plush Puppy is too.

There is no harm in Human Shampoo if it is well diluted in water. PH thing is thrown out when you look at it this way - Water is supposed to be PH Neutral. By making a solution of Acid and Water, you make the a Acid Solution that has a more neutral PH. Same with Alkaline :rofl:

Go grab a bottle of Laser Lites, check out the dilution rates. Usually 10 parts water to 1 part Shampoo/Conditioner. At this rate, Human Shampoo/Conditioner is just fine on the skin and coat. I personally seen dogs bathed weekly, sometimes twice weekly in Human branded stuff for over 20 years and never seen ANY problems.

Woolmix? Never used it...

I admit to mainly shampooing my standard poodle in human shampoo (mainly Pantene), and he comes up a treat. Looks and smells great, and it seems to help reduced the matts (going through coat change :rofl: ). I use a whitening shampoo every now and again, and this cleans up the grotty hocks and elbows, but leaves his coat drier and more inclined to matt up.

I have used Woolwash on my Rotts, but went off it as one got flaky skin from it. Not super itchy, but lots of flaking.

I have since been using Laser Lites, but she is starting to have the same problem, so I am going to try the Plush Puppy low allergy shampoo and see how she goes.

I use a human conditioner (whatever I am using at the time, mostly Garnier Fructis) just over their shoulders and hips, gives that little bit of extra shine without softening too much.

Little OT, but how does everyone dilute their shampoo down before application? I have been using a squeezy bottle but am having trouble getting the shampoo to disperse properly in the bottle without sudsing up too much before I actually get it on the dog! I wash mine in my bathtub with a hose attachment on the tap, so hydrobath tips are no good for me :rofl:

I wash my dogs (Labbies) as little as possible. They swim daily. I also get comments on how lovely their coats are . . . except when they're blowing coats.

I use dog shampoo (Fidos herbal or oatmeal) in the hydrobath when I do wash dogs. It leaves them smelling nice for so long (particularly important if you let your dogs in the bed).

Little OT, but how does everyone dilute their shampoo down before application? I have been using a squeezy bottle but am having trouble getting the shampoo to disperse properly in the bottle without sudsing up too much before I actually get it on the dog! I wash mine in my bathtub with a hose attachment on the tap, so hydrobath tips are no good for me ;)

Maybe a big pump type bottle would be better??

I've washed my dog in human shampoo monthly for nearly 3 years with no ill effect. I stopped using dog shampoo after the first time, after I realised they didn't list the ingredients on the bottle. At least with human shampoo I can read the ingredients and choose a very gentle shampoo, the same as I do for myself.

People who say that dog and human skin has a different pH, can you please link to articles that says what those pHs are?

I use Alchemy on me. :vomit:

OK here's a linky on human skin Ph.

Here's some stuff on canine skin Ph.

In a nutshell, canine skin is more alkaline than human skin. The idea of washing skin is to match the Ph of the shampoo to that of the skin.. change the Ph and you change the ability of the skin to protect itself.

Interesting that a child's skin is different to an adults.. maybe that's why baby shampoo seems to be OK for dogs.

Edited by poodlefan

I've never seen any information anywhere about not using Woolmix on dogs, but a rep told me years ago that when the brand changed hands, the ingredients changed. He seemed well informed, so I believed him.

A couple of vets I know were going "Aaargh, b##### Woolmix, they wash their dogs in it, and then want us to find out why the dog has a problem- and there's nothing you can do about it, so it makes the dermos rich".

So, I asked my vet, who went "aaargh, don't wash the dog in b##### Woolmix, heaps of the skin dogs I see have been washed in Woolmix, and it's damaged all the layers of the skin so much there's usually nothing you can do about it, except cortisone forever".

I have also noticed that a lot of the rescue skin dogs have been fed cheap food and/or washed in Woolmix or human shampoo. The nearly bald boy I had last year had been washed in Woolmix, and he was so bad their vet made a tentative diagnosis of syringo. because he scratched and rubbed so much, and yelped and went on. I think that was why he was off to the pound (although that was not the reason given), and he came with a shopping bag full of itch cures - none of which worked.

With the cavs, which have a reputation for being a bit itchy anyhow, I wont risk anything which may cause them problems.

There are heaps of good dog shampoos out there anyhow.

In a nutshell, canine skin is more alkaline than human skin. The idea of washing skin is to match the Ph of the shampoo to that of the skin.. change the Ph and you change the ability of the skin to protect itself.

Interesting that a child's skin is different to an adults.. maybe that's why baby shampoo seems to be OK for dogs.

Thanks Poodlefan! Your links said that adult human skin is pH 4.5 - 6, whereas canine skin is pH 5.5 - 7.2, or sometimes even higher.

So I guess that means that some dogs will naturally have a similar skin pH to humans, and some won't - perhaps that's why some dogs have problems with human shampoo, and some don't (plus the fact that some human shampoos are a lot gentler than others)?

Anyway, I'll switch my boy to baby shampoo from now on. We've never had problems with the adult human shampoo, but using baby shampoo will definately match his pH, plus will list the ingredients on the outside. :kissbetter:

Interesting about Woolmix. The only other rough collie i wash as a regular client has me wash him in woolmix. They decided they wanted him done in it when they saw a neighbour washing their dog in woolmix.

Unfortunately this client, a long term one, doesnt wish to pay extra for a blow dry - dont start on this one, i have told them time and time again that he should be blow dried. Apparently he would get smelly very shortly after a bath using other shampoos, but with the woolmix this doesnt happen.

Re the blow drying, i have given them a very low price compared to the time it would take to blow him dry, but they still dont want to do it. I think i definately need to have a talk with them. I have always felt that blowdrying this boy would have solved the getting smelly issue. I usually do him about every 3 weeks - just a wash and towel dry (as much as you can towel dry a roughie)

At the end of the day, i could easily do a free blow dry for him, but the value of it wouldnt be appreciated, and i know they can afford to pay extra (several new very expensive new cars in the last year). IT isnt that they dont adore this dog, they take him to the vet at the drop of a hat if he needs it, and he is spoiled.

If i thought they couldnt afford the extra to blow dry him i would probably do it for free, but at the end of the day,it is a business, i have to make a living, and the time it would take me to blow him dry i could easily wash another two dogs. I guess i could suggest dropping him back to 4 weekly and doing the blowdry - which would ultimately save them money in vet fees and dog distress in the long run... (actually, i have in fact done a free blow dry on several occasions and they havent even commented)

Perhaps a letter stating the facts as i know them will do the trick.

Thanks again for the insight