Supercoat Puppy

Lil Miss LeiLani

Hi Gomez,

Kibble is dry dog food in lowest form. Little or no protein and very very low in fat.

That is why it was fed to Greyhounds so as not to put on weight.

All it does is to make a dog feel full. A lot of people refer to dry food as Kibble.

One should always refer to the analysis. Typical analysis means just that. This batch

might have so much fat the next batch may have more. That's why the manufactures

use the word Typical. Maybe a better word might be average analysis.

Guaranteed analysis is what you need on the bag. The manufacturers guarantee, what

is stated on the bag is correct.

Semantics, oakways, I think you will find that most people refer to dry dog food as kibble and vice versa...

Eagle Pack Holistic is by no means an inferior product, and the standards are consistent throughout and guaranteed.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All commercial food is dead food . No matter what it says on the bag heat and processing and storage alter the food before you get it to your dogs' dish . Think back to the basics you learn in high school regarding how vitamins are destroyed when foods are cooked so even before you look any where else the vitamins such as bcde are long gone before you feed it out .The ones which have probiotics listed mean nothing because you already know they have to be kept in the fridge to remain viable .Also dogs need enzymes to assimilate their food - usually these enzymes are in the foods if they are not cooked or processed and if they are not there the dog has to take enzymes from other organs for the foods to be moved from one end to the other. Over time this causes health issues and impacts on joints immune systems and longevity.

Thrive D is a product which replaces enzymes usually lost in commercial foods.[there's others around but I dont remember their names] So adding this type of thing and a childrens' muliti vitamin each day makes up for what is not in your dog food.

You cant judge the quality of the food by what comes out the other end either. Think about what makes more poo for you - peanuts or fairy floss- which one is better for you ?

Cry&Zorro, as you are in Brisbane, can I recommend Big Dog Pet Foods. They have a website - just google. I have started buying my raw mince & vegie mix, as well as various raw bones, and the change in my dogs is fantastic. Prior to that I was trying all variety of dry foods with little change. If you have freezer space and buy in bulk (20kg for $38 - it comes frozen in 2kg bags) it works out very economical and easy as it is already prepared. They are on the northside but worth the trip - which for you would likely be less than once a month. Canine Country may also be worth trying - closer to you probably.

ETA. I am not affiliated with them - just impressed wth how well my dogs are doing on raw and find it convenient. Also local to me.

Edited by badboyz

Kibble is a generic term which refers to all brands of dry dog food.

Not in the truest sense of the word. Kibble was ORIGINALLY a specific type of dry food. In older times it was largely bread soaked in milk and baked and fed as a filler. It has progressed somewhat since then.

There are a range of Box One foods which include a kibble. This resembles no dry food I've ever fed but is commonly purchased in bulk by greyhound racing people I'm told. We used to feed that and Meat Bits at a major sighthound kennel at which I worked some years ago.

Correct ellz :) seems as though you are the only who knows what I am talking about.

Kibble is the name given to to dog food of the lowest form. It was the very first type of dog food available in Aust. well over 40 years ago.(That must tell you I have been dogs a long time) It was made for Greyhounds. That is how Aust found out about dry foods. Then came the term feeding the American way. Then came the dry foods. Until today when we have the super premium dry foods.

On the subject of supermarket foods, what does anyone think of Purina One ?

This is sold in 7kg bags from the supermarket for about $30.00 which I think is a similar price to the "better" dry foods that are sold in a 20kg bag for example. This would then be $90 approx for 20kg of Purina One if comapring to the other prices.

Is it any good though ?

Both my dogs really liked it (Lamb and Rice, only available in 4 kg) and the larger dog is a more fussy eater. Stools much improved compared with Supercoat + raw foods. No skin issues and dogs had good energy levels, healthy looking coat etc.

It's more like about $80 for 20kg. In my area, brands like Eukanuba, Iams, Advance etc. cost more than that for only 15kg. Eagle Pack, ProPlan, Nutro are over $90 for 15kg :) . I'm told they're cheaper in metro areas.

Just had quick look at pack: "Ingredients: Lamb, brewers rice, oatmeal, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal, whole grain corn, animal fat ...... " (+ vitamins etc).

Guess it's a matter of comparing ingredients between brands and seeing how your dogs do on it. All the grains are fillers, of course.

Bruno is on SuperCoat Puppy, and he loves it. I bought a bag of expensive stuff last time I was in Brisbane (Nutro) and Bruno just hated it. I ended up giving it away as he wouldnt eat it, and I was sick of the battle. He has gone back onto Supercoat ever since and loves it. I feed it about 25% of his diet, then rest is raw. Whatever works for your dog is whats best. Sometimes the most expensive products arent necessarily the best!

I've done a little research on the internet. I found that an American magazine (forgot what it's name) doesn't recommend Pedigree at all cuz the ingredients they use are mostly in low quality and there are too many by-products in it. Nature's gift are said to be good cuz there are no by-products and additives. Is that true? Is nature's gift good?

I've done a little research on the internet. I found that an American magazine (forgot what it's name) doesn't recommend Pedigree at all cuz the ingredients they use are mostly in low quality and there are too many by-products in it. Nature's gift are said to be good cuz there are no by-products and additives. Is that true? Is nature's gift good?

I really like natures gift - they are the only tin food I use on a regular basis :thumbsup:

I now use the Natures Gift wet food too ! I used to use optimum, but thought to try NG and now thats all I buy !! Smells more like meatloaf than tinned food.

Whats there dry biscuits like ??

What are the prices like & how much do you need to feed the pup ?

I now use the Natures Gift wet food too ! I used to use optimum, but thought to try NG and now thats all I buy !! Smells more like meatloaf than tinned food.

Whats there dry biscuits like ??

What are the prices like & how much do you need to feed the pup ?

The semi-dry food that NG make I only use for training treats if that is what you mean.... same ingredients etc.

It's too expensive to buy like that :hug:. I buy the tin food in a slab (I wish they had a variety slab!) which costs me a little over $1 a can :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry - I just had to bring this topic back up again since I now have experience with Supercoat puppy as well!

I just recently brought another Siberian Husky puppy home and was a bit surprised to see that she is quite a lot smaller than my other Husky was at her age; whilst her parents seem to be the standard size. I have since found that after gradually changing her diet to what I already feed my Tesha, she doesn't have runny, smelly poos and she has already bulked up healthily (In just a week)

I personally will not be using SC again!

Cry&Zorro, as you are in Brisbane, can I recommend Big Dog Pet Foods. They have a website - just google. I have started buying my raw mince & vegie mix, as well as various raw bones, and the change in my dogs is fantastic. Prior to that I was trying all variety of dry foods with little change. If you have freezer space and buy in bulk (20kg for $38 - it comes frozen in 2kg bags) it works out very economical and easy as it is already prepared. They are on the northside but worth the trip - which for you would likely be less than once a month. Canine Country may also be worth trying - closer to you probably.

ETA. I am not affiliated with them - just impressed wth how well my dogs are doing on raw and find it convenient. Also local to me.

Big Dog Pet Foods are great - I love the guys there. I buy a carton of "Breeder's Choice" every couple of weeks. I do still give them Supercoat Biscuits with their prepared meat/veges.

We give our dogs 1/4 Super Coat and 3/4 Meat Mix. They also get an egg each once a week, some sardines and often get either chicken wings or lamb/beef bones.

I'm not really sure why but I just couldn't feed only meat mix - I think it must be in my head that the biscuits offer a bit of "roughage" for them, maybe some added nutrients that may not be present in the "Breeder's Choice".

My dog's are doing very well... we have in the past tried Eagle Pack for a couple of months but didn't notice a difference in poos or coat, etc. We have also fed Euk, Optimum and Royal Canin - but I keep going back to S/C usually because I see little to no change between their meat and SC diet and the premium diets. I would never be comfortable giving them a "complete dry food" and only feeding biscuits (personal choice - I like them to have meat and veges).

Every now and then I get the urge to look for something new, but either it becomes too confusing or I can't see a clear benefit in changing.

I have thought of importing some "Flint River Ranch" dog food over so if anyone on here has used this I would love to hear your experiences.

(FYI - the mimimum import amount is 45,000 lbs :laugh: )

Oooo...the Drywater one looks pretty good!!! so does the cat food for that matter! Depending on price i might be interested if you get some in...lol. It might be worth starting up a new thread about it in the health forum :laugh:

Also...if the SC is only a small percentage of what you are feeding per meal then it won't make much of a difference...no matter if you were using top of the range or Pal. Your dogs good condition would be based on the meal mix since that is what they are predominantly fed :love:

I have thought of importing some "Flint River Ranch" dog food over so if anyone on here has used this I would love to hear your experiences.

(FYI - the mimimum import amount is 45,000 lbs :laugh: )

When I lived in US I fed my dog Flint River Ranch. My friends use it too. I think it's EXCELLENT food.

Let me know how you go with your import. I would definitely be interested in buying it here.

Fair enough - thanks for the update
If people are seriously interested in purchasing this product then please see the Topic I have started in Health & Nutrition

Flint River Topic

Hi is there anything like Big dog food in melbourne that you know about

Check out Big Dog Pet Foods website.

This LINK is to their "Outlets" page but also has the email address. Contact them and ask them for suppliers in your area :eek: