Supercoat Puppy

Lil Miss LeiLani

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am also not a fan of Supercoat. I tried a couple of mine on it when I was trying to find a food they would eat but they didn't do well on it. They poohed too much so they lost a lot of the nutrients that were in the food and the ingredients were not very good. There are several foods better than Supercoat.

Nutro is my food of choice the dogs love it and the ingredients are great,more pricey than supermarket food, but you feed less of it and its for the good health of my pets :( The only supermarket food I will touch is Natures Gift I occasionally put a bit of that in with the dry food and nuke it for a few seconds the dogs love it...

Edited by varicool

Yeah I found Supercoat pretty bad to, plenty of dog poo around and I had to feed them heaps of it to keep some weight on them. Most people on here recomend Nutro or Eagle Pack but I used to feed Advance and found it quite good. Most of the supermarket food is pretty crap.

Where do you get eagle pack from ?

I read in another post it helped to settle hyperactivity down !!???

Vet also recommends IAMS which is a bit cheaper than eukanuba.

The breeder feeds hers on Optimum and another breeder i read feeds them Pedigree natural (but 1st ingredient is cereal/wheat i think & we were told that 1st ingredient should be a meat).

If you only have access to Supermarket food then you should probably look at Optimum.

Supercoat is the last food I would give ANY of my dogs for any reason. I'd rather feed the homebrand dry food than Supercoat.

You should be able to get most of the different brands of kibble at a pet supplies store, some places stock such a huge range can end up quite confusing but it's a good place to compare prices if money is tight

If budget is tight but you still want to feed a reasonably good food - I would go Optimum over S/C - I had to feed Leo on about 5 cups of S/C and he was losing weight - he seemed to be pooing it all out!! I don't mind Optimum or the S/C before Dr Harry appeared on it :(

For the premium brands - I still think there are a lot of crappy ones. I don't really like science diet or eukanuba. I do like Eagle pack and nutrience though.

Good luck!

C&Z, I recommend Eagle Pack. It doesn't contain fillers and by-products like the others and it actually contains less sodium than other leading super premiums like IAMs and Euk (which both come from the same manufacturer mind you). You'll find your dog will drink less water due to the lower sodium content.

I changed all of my 4 dogs over to EP about 6 months ago, one is a 14 yo GSD, and I cannot believe the difference in all of them. Of course, EP is not their main diet, they are all fed fresh meat and vegies etc and are given meaty bones once a week.

If you check out the website (which I believe has already been given), you'll find a list of stockists in your area. Well worth the trouble!!

Give Supercoat and any supermarket brand a very wide berth!!