Slicker And Pins - Advocates Of Each

malsam

I recently met a very respectable groomer and she told me that I should be using slicker on my double coat dog.

Neverthless, I have been told by thousands of people that pin brush is the only thing u should use.

I can see the convenience of using a slicker at the same time get issues from using pins as well.

Can I have an idea how many users here are advocates of each and why would u prefer yours over the others?

i guess i would say i use a slicker more often. but generally i look at the each coat individually and see what works best. sometimes a rake can work well and sometimes it needs to be blown out with a HV dryer.

I actually use both ;) I use the Chris Christensen pin brush for in between coat changes. But when she is dropping coat I use the slicker, I love the Lawrence Tender Care slicker. It's really soft unlike some slickers, and she love's it. I find the slicker gets the undercoat out a lot quicker than a pin brush IMO :rofl:

I use both - it just depends on the coat. I have some dogs that the slicker works best on and some I just use a pin brush and comb on. Usually the dogs that get bathed/blow dried less often (ie once every 6 weeks or so rather than every one or two weeks for shows) get the slicker used on them as their undercoat tends to be a lot harder to get through. These also tend to be older dogs and often desexed so that affects coat too.

rarely do i use pin brushes even on my long coats.I use mason pearson or plush puppys soft brush range.

Some pin brushes are so harsh on the skin i would never use them.A good quality slicker is very gentle on the skin plus does an excellent job brushing through a coat.

We use slickers alot with the grooming business & on the schnauzers coat plus a combo comb

I use a slicker, on poodles with short-medium length hair, dense coat on one of them. Be careful as there are some slickers that are more tools for torture than tools for grooming :mad . Look for the "soft" type and test it on your arm, first, even some labelled "soft" can be too firm.

i guess i would say i use a slicker more often. but generally i look at the each coat individually and see what works best. sometimes a rake can work well and sometimes it needs to be blown out with a HV dryer.

:mad what's a HV dryer?

i only use a rake and comb - ive been told that slickers can damage the coat :)

I know poodle showies don't use them on the much longer fur, but we're talking some extreme fur, there.

My poodles are clipped in a short-medium length pet trim and I can't see any problems with their coats from using a slicker.

What do breeders of your breed suggest?

Caring for a show coat of any breed and a pet of that breed are quite different. On a pet you can use a good quality slicker and a rake if necessary, cut out mats etc I use a slicker on my standard poodles when they are in pet trim but would never touch the jacket of their show coat with anything other than a pin brush (or bristle) and comb.

i only use a rake and comb - ive been told that slickers can damage the coat :thumbsup:

I know poodle showies don't use them on the much longer fur, but we're talking some extreme fur, there.

My poodles are clipped in a short-medium length pet trim and I can't see any problems with their coats from using a slicker.

What do breeders of your breed suggest?

i was told to use a comb - takes a lot longer to get a show coat but slickers tend to split the coat more making it look dry :clap: i usually just use a plain rake now on my furkids now (not showing anymore). easily pulls out the loose undercoat and takes 1 sec to clear :clap: