Play Drive

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LP - not a hope mate, not a hope - I wouldnt give him up for all the tea in china :rolleyes: .

what about for all the tea in Britain??? I hear their tea is nicer ;) :rofl: :rofl:

Not for any tea actually - I can't stand the stuff ;) .

Jarrah is so focussed on his toy it doesnt matter if we take him to a strange place - a bomb could go off under him & he would still be staring at it ;) . He loves both tugging & chasing toys/rewards & has an amazing amount of toy drive & also has a high food drive as well (only slightly less than for his toys) so Im very lucky in that respect. I can switch him on anywhere in prey drive, anytime just using whatever I have at hand to work with ie his lead, a cap, hanky etc. I have taught him to cast in a herding paddock the whole length of the paddock from 1 end to the other by using a ball as his reward - who needs sheep to teach herding? ;) :rofl:

Good job, good dog. :rolleyes:

Do you ever wonder if people over intellectualise playing with their dogs?

Before I knew a damn thing about dog training I played with Ted.. toys, balls, games. I love to play with my dogs and I think my dogs are playful as a result.

I know people who seem to think playing is some kind of chore.. it's like "between 6.30 and 7.00 am I will play with my dog".. yet they don't tend to play reward unless prompted. Just get out there and have fun!

Playfulness reflects the bond you have with your dog I reckon. For some it comes naturally, for others not.

I do know that dogs that have had access to an array of toys since puppyhood are more likely to have learned it spontaneously and gee that makes life so much easier.

My advice to anyone would be to try lots of different things.. not just a ball. Head off to Vinnies and buy some cheap stuffed toys. The GSD next door goes crazy killing large cardboard boxes - he loves them!!

Sidoney, if your V has prey drive, try tieing the tug to the end of a lunge whip and doing circles with it..

Ted's favourite game is "scarey monsters".. I act like one and chase him round the house.. not one for the side of the agility ring but he loves it. :rolleyes:

Edited by poodlefan

Sidoney hmmmmmmmm ........... she's sort of related to Vickie's Trim (father/grandfather) :rolleyes: .

I think technically she has an eighth of Trim's pedigree? LOL, so yes sort of, although they are bred very differently.

She looks cute. I hope she becomes everything you dream she will be. It is so much fun getting a puppy & making plans for their/your future.

Before I knew a damn thing about dog training I played with Ted.. toys, balls, games. I love to play with my dogs and I think my dogs are playful as a result.

I know people who seem to think playing is some kind of chore.. it's like "between 6.30 and 7.00 am I will play with my dog".. yet they don't tend to play reward unless prompted. Just get out there and have fun!

Ted's favourite game is "scarey monsters".. I act like one and chase him round the house.. not one for the side of the agility ring but he loves it. :rofl:

'nother great post by PF!!!

Oooh - Leo and Kinta looove the scarey monsters game!!! Anything also that involves high pitched voices and 'sillyness' is GREAT fun :rolleyes: ;) ;)

An EXCELLENT POST PF :rolleyes:

Yes!

Playfulness reflects the bond you have with your dog I reckon. For some it comes naturally, for others not.

I have raised this point a number of times. You can't fake it. The dogs see right through it. I see lots of people who fake play, they are physically doing it, but you can tell their mind is somewhere else. I also see this a lot with rewarding. When I come out of the ring with my dog, I frequently give people the "bugger off" look when they come immediately to talk to me. That is OUR time for a couple of minutes where nothing else exists but the 2 of us. It is a continuation of what we have done in the ring...part of the process. I wouldn't chat to people while I'm running & won't while I'm rewarding either.

Anyway PF, where the hell have you been? Geez ;) anyone would think you have a life outside DOL ;)

As you know I am having retrieving issues with Brock and I think the first step needs to be getting him to play with me. One of his fav games is attacking the hose, he unravels it, wraps it around a tree and tugs like crazy, so last night I tried to get him to play tug with that. Nope. No amount of shaking, encouraging would get him to play whilst I was holding it. He just ducked under it and smooched up to me. :rolleyes:

I have raised this point a number of times. You can't fake it. The dogs see right through it. I see lots of people who fake play, they are physically doing it, but you can tell their mind is somewhere else. I also see this a lot with rewarding.

Yep, I see it too - rewarding through gritted teeth because others are watching or they've been told to by a trainer.. or too late.

When I come out of the ring with my dog, I frequently give people the "bugger off" look when they come immediately to talk to me.

Especially those who are just itching to tell you where you mishandled and how you should do it. ;)

Anyway PF, where the hell have you been? Geez :rofl: anyone would think you have a life outside DOL :rolleyes:

Work is busy. Frankly I'm a little sick of being accused of bullying everytime I state a differing or strong opinion too. ;)

Edited by poodlefan

Sidoney hmmmmmmmm ........... she's sort of related to Vickie's Trim (father/grandfather) :rolleyes: .

I think technically she has an eighth of Trim's pedigree? LOL, so yes sort of, although they are bred very differently.

She looks cute. I hope she becomes everything you dream she will be. It is so much fun getting a puppy & making plans for their/your future.

Thanx Vickie I hope so too ;) . I think it may be a quarter - Lad is her grandfather, but yes, the rest is very different being show lines ;) .

I do know that dogs that have had access to an array of toys since puppyhood are more likely to have learned it spontaneously and gee that makes life so much easier.

My advice to anyone would be to try lots of different things.. not just a ball. Head off to Vinnies and buy some cheap stuffed toys. The GSD next door goes crazy killing large cardboard boxes - he loves them!!

Sidoney, if your V has prey drive, try tieing the tug to the end of a lunge whip and doing circles with it..

Ted's favourite game is "scarey monsters".. I act like one and chase him round the house.. not one for the side of the agility ring but he loves it. ;)

Good post. But we all play with our dogs when pups and youngsters, don't we? Depending on our terminology and requirements we never stop playing with them, after all is not most dog sports games? The most fun games my dogs do, luckily their interests marry with mine, :rolleyes: , is retrieving.

To go back to the original question, there are many reasons why the posters GDS do not like games. If games do not switch these dogs ON, food maybe better.

Julie - who dog'ss dance with me when I switch music on. We also dance as a team at retrieving trials, they better than me, sometimes.

We all love rock and roll and upbeat music.

Julie - who dog'ss dance with me when I switch music on. We also dance as a team at retrieving trials, they better than me, sometimes.

ummm ;) Can we see some video of that? :rolleyes:

PLEEEAAAASSSSE

Crap I am exhausted! Finally got the poofy BC to actually bounce around a little bit and at least run and pounce on some toys and little bit of tug.

A sad moment was when I threw a toy and the bloody cat went and got it! (whilst Brock sat and gazed at me) :rolleyes:

ummm ;) Can we see some video of that? :rolleyes:

PLEEEAAAASSSSE

Not today, already in my PJs. Actually been in my jimjams since my shower. Been ill for 2 days.

Also if I did a video, some may think I let my dogs jump on me. Well, I do.....sometimes LOL.

YAY! Got Kaos to tug outside the yard! Took one of his favourite toys (bag tied to a lead, go figure :rolleyes: ) and got him chasing it in the front yard, then ran from the front yard to outside the property and he chased and tugged!

Lablover:

Good post. But we all play with our dogs when pups and youngsters, don't we?

Um, no. I know plenty of people who don't play with their dogs outside of formal "play as part of training" or indeed at all.

If the GSDs won't play some games, try others. I can proudly report that aged 9, Miss Lily is playing tug of war for the first time in her life. I started with teasing with prey like toys, moved slowly to retrieve and only know does she have the confidence to tug rather than release.

I didn't have Lil as a baby pup but I'd also say that lack of confidence is and was an issue with her. Fortunately she has great food and prey drive.

Lablover:

Good post. But we all play with our dogs when pups and youngsters, don't we?

Um, no. I know plenty of people who don't play with their dogs outside of formal "play as part of training" or indeed at all.

If the GSDs won't play some games, try others. I can proudly report that aged 9, Miss Lily is playing tug of war for the first time in her life. I started with teasing with prey like toys, moved slowly to retrieve and only know does she have the confidence to tug rather than release.

I didn't have Lil as a baby pup but I'd also say that lack of confidence is and was an issue with her. Fortunately she has great food and prey drive.

thanx cosmolo..would u encourage it in puppies? This is wat the trainer was referring to? Do u think she is out dated in her training too?? She said not to play it with kids in the vicinity and not to play until puppy is old enough to have learnt to stop nipping etc. what r ur thoughts on that? Im going to bombard her with all ur answers soon lol

L&L I am not a trainer

but I do advise potential homes of my dogs - particularly the Anatolians

NOT to play games of tug of war with them.

This is taking into account temperament lines of the dogs - and some are very dominant - not just unruly adolescents, but individuals with a psychlogical ascendancy that does not need the aid of a game (which they really are not that interested in anyway) of tug of war.

Someone who knows what they are doing - yes fine.

Family with kids - nope.

:rolleyes:

Edited by lilli