Car Sickness

One of our dogs gets car sick - not to the point of puking but it's distressing him.

I've heard people recommend ginger biscuits and ginger supplements? Anything else I should try?

You could try Rescue Remedy to calm him down before travel. If he isnt vomiting it sounds like he isnt so much motion sick than anxious.

One of our dogs gets car sick - not to the point of puking but it's distressing him.

I've heard people recommend ginger biscuits and ginger supplements? Anything else I should try?

You could try Rescue Remedy to calm him down before travel. If he isnt vomiting it sounds like he isnt so much motion sick than anxious.

Thanks. I'm sure anxiety is playing a role, but he is fine in the car if it's not moving or moving at a slow speed. He isn't scared of the car itself, and will hop in without any issues - in fact he hates to be left behind. People have said to me that because dogs are associative learners, they tend to associate an episode of being sick with the car, and get anxious as a result.

However his issues do seem very much related to the things that make humans ill in cars - basically he displays more distress symptoms (drooling, lip licking, shivering) when the car is moving fast, especially on twisty roads. He also is worse in our small diesel hatchback which is a manual, so more prone to stop start motion. He doesn't love our big auto car, but he's better in it.

He's only puked in a car once that I know of, but it was a formative moment (he horked up all over my jumper when the breeder was driving us both to the airport terminal for my trip home with him). He has never really enjoyed riding in the car in the whole time I've had him - the others love it.

Cavandra is right.

Most car sick dogs are usually anxious, not suffering from motion sickness.

Rescue Remedy is well known to be extremely effective for such situations.

:thumbsup:

You may already do this but opening up the windows really worked for us. Our dog went from frothy mouth to excitedly sticking his head in the breeze. It sucks in winter when it is cold but it the only thing that worked for us.

(Note we have a station wagon and the dogs are in the back so we could open up the back seat windows about half way without the risk of him jumping out)

You may already do this but opening up the windows really worked for us. Our dog went from frothy mouth to excitedly sticking his head in the breeze. It sucks in winter when it is cold but it the only thing that worked for us.

I noticed at one point yesterday he was sticking his nose at the open window (we don't have them open enough for them to stick their heads through). The other dogs usually take the window seats but I'll give this a try!

Oh thankgod! i thought my dog was one of a few that gets car sick! my poor little chino will puke everytime. hes getting better in that we can drive a few more klms before he starts spewing but it isnt far. ok so where can i get these ginger tablets from and do they really help stop him from spewing cause he will throw up everything hes got before we can get home. and how long do they last? im thinking if we were to go somewhere in the morning then drive again in the afternoon would u give another tablet in the arvo too??

Peppermint oil - on cloth or near the air vents to all it to be carried on the air, as peppermint calm the stomache and relaxes as well :D

Junket (sp) tablets

or as above the ginger tablets

Mum's standard bitch Pearl gets car sickness loves to jump in the car but :D when it moves :)

do you have access to another dog who LOOOOVVVVEESSS to travel in the car???

Sometimes the confidence of another dog can help as they booster their confidence off the other dog. If you know someone with a ute (with a canopy) this can be good too as plenty of air normally gets thru... And the other dog bouncing around having a good time rubs off

Both of mine puke every single time they get in the car. I normally dont feed them breakfast if I am heading out that day but low and behold, they will still chuck up the night before's dinner. Go figure. I now carry towels in the car when they are there. I have a station wagon and they do sit in the back. I have also opened windows but it didnt work. I have had them in there together vomiting, oh that was fun :)

I might just try some ginger tablets and see how they go.

haha yes my boyfriend has a ute our dog that gets sick is a chihuahua and our other dog is a staffy, the staffy doesnt seem too fussed on car rides just yet but shes fine when we go but little chino (chihuahua) i cant picture him in the back of a ute! haha gingernut biscut is prob a good idea though might try that! but other than that im carrying towels too!

I would probably try ginger tablets... the ginger content in biscuits is quite small.

I have ute with canopy.. recently I changed the canopy from high to standard height. One dog who is ok in the car.. but was not the best (mind you its a BC).. while i was without a canopy for a few weeks, I put him in the back chained him in the middle and drove around the block...not fast.. did wonders.. now all you can feel is bounce bounce bounce as he bounces around the back of the ute (now with a canopy)