Choosing The Right Clippers

dammit

Hi All

I have a Maltese cross Toy Poodle that is about 8 months old now. Anyways being the playful puppy she is, she's always running around in the dirt, digging holes, rolling around, pooing on herself etc! :happydance2: We have gotten her professionally groomed once which cost $65 and they didn't do a really good job/do what we asked them to do.

So I was thinking maybe I should get some equipment which will cost a little more initially but hopefully pay for itself in the savings of getting her groomed every month or so.

I have gave her a bit of a hair cut with scissors and she didnt mind that. But when i tried to shave a bit of her hair on her back using just a standard pair of hair clippers she freaked out a bit and wouldn't keep still (probably because they are a bit noisy and not made specially for animal grooming)

My question is, should I fork out and buy something like a Wahl KMSS for around $200, or a KM2 for a bit more? The thing I'm worried about is that I don't want to fork out that type of money and then find she is hopeless to groom (as in hates it & plays up) or that I'm hopeless at grooming her!

The main problem areas are her legs, face, bum and underneath. Is one of the above clippers designed to focus on those areas or are they more to get the length off and then you use a smaller, quieter one to do those legs face bum areas? The Wahl Pro Clipper looked ok that it was cordless but you could also use the cord too, I thought it would probably be quieter/gentler on the face and stuff?? Plus it is a bit cheaper than the others. But can the Wahl Pro take different blades like the other ones?

I think the KMSS comes with a 10# blade and from what I read that means length of 1.8mm which is a bit short. if I wanted her hair around the 5mm mark, is there a blade for this? Or do you just use a 10# and have a plastic comb attachment thing on it to keep a bit of length? I am completely new to dog grooming and have no idea!

Or would a cordless clipper set from a department store do a good enough job for doing a home-groom once a month? Or is there a better brand or model suited to what I need? Ideally I would like to keep her groomed all the time to keep her a bit cleaner and not look so scruffy!

Any advice or thoughts on my situation are appreciated, thanks all! :cheer:

My question is, should I fork out and buy something like a Wahl KMSS for around $200, or a KM2 for a bit more? The thing I'm worried about is that I don't want to fork out that type of money and then find she is hopeless to groom (as in hates it & plays up) or that I'm hopeless at grooming her!

Best to try before you buy, however, you shouldn't have much trouble selling clippers in excellent condition.

The main problem areas are her legs, face, bum and underneath. Is one of the above clippers designed to focus on those areas or are they more to get the length off and then you use a smaller, quieter one to do those legs face bum areas?

You want a clipper that does the lot. A separate one isn't necessary. You want one that you can change the blades.

I think the KMSS comes with a 10# blade and from what I read that means length of 1.8mm which is a bit short. if I wanted her hair around the 5mm mark, is there a blade for this? Or do you just use a 10# and have a plastic comb attachment thing on it to keep a bit of length? I am completely new to dog grooming and have no idea!

You'd have to get a #30 or #40 blade and use a comb attachment. These only work on clean, brushed and well-combed hair (i.e. zero knots or tangles) or it will leave you with a "chewed up" appearance. You could use scissors instead.

Or would a cordless clipper set from a department store do a good enough job for doing a home-groom once a month?

NO! Don't waste your money. They won't work and/or will soon die.

Have a look here:http://www.freewebs.com/clipperbladesharpening/.

I buy blades, have sharpening done and bought the Saxon brand clippers for home use on a mini and standard poodle. I'm happy with them. Excelelnt service.

Colin's also on DOL: Nicestmann77. You could PM him.

Perhaps it wasn't such a good clip at the groomers because she freaked out just like at home. Puppies are wiggly, freaky and often just plain horrible to groom. I'd be sending her to the groomers a few more times to at least get trained. If you aren't confident clipping her you could just make her worse.

I like a 3 blade on a poodle for a nice easy pet trim. You do need to learn to fluff dry them properly to get a good apperance. Especially if you are going to be using comb attachments.

The Wahl KM2 is a nice clipper. Its faster than the KMSS and gives a smoother clip.

Hi, I recently started home grooming my mini schnauzer. So I will see if I can help you. If you are wanting to clip her every month, you will be able to save plenty of money clipping her yourself.

I purchased the WAHL KM2 2 speed which I am very happy with, although I find I don't use the 2nd higher speed, so I would have been best off buying the less expensive 1 speed. These are fine to use on the face/legs etc, you should only need to buy the one clippers. I use a 10 blade on my girl which makes her short and smooth. Maybe a 3 or 4 blade would be better for your pup? You should ask if you can change the 10 blade for another size if it comes included in your set.

Because your pup is still nervous of the clippers, I would consider getting her clipped professionally a few more times. Otherwise, if you have the patience try turning the clipper on (without the blades attached) and run it over her body with plenty of treats and praise so she will become used to the noise and vibrations. Eventually she should become used to the clippers, and will be calm enough for you to clip yourself.

Good Luck! :happydance2:

I would start off by buying Andis clippers instead of Wahl they are quieter and easier to manage.

If she is that worried I would also agree with kiki and have her done by a professional as often as possible until she's used to it.

Until you are used to grooming stick with the snap on combs over the top of your 10# blade or fork out and buy a 40#, a no. 2 Laube comb will give a really nice finish even if the dog has a few knots it just needs to be clean and fluffed up.

Hi, I groom several malt/poodle crosses and if you wish to do it yourself you need the 10 blade for under the eyes, bum and tummy and could use a 5f, 4f or 3f for the body (the 3f will leave the hair the longest). The KM2 would suit your purposes or the KMSS (in which case you will have snap on combs in place of the blades I mentioned) You will also need a pair of scissors.(add another $100.00) and nail trimmers, and a very good quality slicker brush and metal comb.

Your dog probably got a very ordinary haircut from the groomer because it has not been taught "grooming manners" in addition to the puppy wriggles. Unless you teach the dog to be co-operative you will find that the haircut you give the dog will be much worse than what the groomer achieved or you won't be able to manage at all or may cut the dog with either the clippers or scissors.

Grooming skills can the learnt but it is neither easy nor cheap.

find a good groomer who is willing to teach your puppy how to be groomed.

don't do it yourself unless you are trained. you risk cutting or seriously injuring the dog and you will make her difficult to groom for the rest of her life.

thanks for your help everyone :rofl: the one time i did take her to the groomers they said she was great and really behaved herself & was a pleasure so not sure..it was more the fact that we asked for it to be really short all over and they left her face/mouth long and legs long. maybe it was because she figited or couldnt keep still around there or maybe they were just in a hurry. not sure !

Can you buy different blades for the Wahl KMSS? Like a #10 , and also a #30? Or is it just the blade it comes with and you cant interchange??

Compared to the KM-2, would the KMSS get me by/do everything I need it for or would I benefit from forking out the extra for the KM-2 (or notice no difference at all?)

Andis look a bit expensive for me :/ !! the wahl is expensive too but it looks to be good quality and hopefully would last me a long time. !!

Thanks again :laugh:

I would be inclined to say the groom they did was the normal short all over hairdo that is the norm for that cross.

Alos at 9 months the coat is still at the fluffy & floppy stage & most groomers do a nice puppy clip & then the next clip you may try something different or the coat texture can be starting to change.

It depends how long they left the legs to how short you wanted it,again with the face,did you want shaved like a dobermanns head or still fluffy with a bit of character??

I wouldnt right off the first groom & i wouldnt attempt to groom the dog unless you believe you can teach it manners at the same time.we groom many dogs that the owners started with & there nightmares.

depending on how short you wan you need to too take into account the thickness of the coat.Do it too short you could clip it bald.

Clipping isnt a case of use this blade & go for it you need to understand the texture,uderstand the thickness & undercoat & then use a blade that suits the coat for the desired result.

Can I just ask (not having a go at you) if you are not willing to spend a little extra on clippers are going to buy a decent dryer to fluff her up?

If you aren't then it's likely you will never be happy with job you do yourself.

The clip the groomer did on your dog is standard why not take the dog back next time and tell them you want it one length all over and the face shorter. I always explain to my clients they need to voice their opinions to me to get what they want sometimes they're interpretation is different to mine.

Also some groomers out there will only do set clips and aren't willing to change even if you ask them.

Sounds like your baby got what is called a "teddy bear"clip - this is a generic clip used on poodle crosses by groomers. I only clip off faces of crossed if requested - usually because I think they look ugly with a "poodle face" unless they are very poodley looking. Giving a poodle haircut to crosses is not the norm so if you wanted this you would specifically have to request it.

The KMSS is designed for people to clip their little pet dogs and the KM2 is a proffessional clipper for breeders, groomers, showies etc. Have you looked on ebay?

The KMSS is identical to the KM2 except it only has one speed. Every part including the motor is the same, and the only difference is the speed control board. A number of professional groomers use only the KMSS as the blades run cooler and last longer on the lower speed.

I have Oscar clippers in the cupboard, but when i tried to do his face....well, he just wouldnt let me, so off to the pet palour he went. They are great there, did a great job, will take him back a few more times before i try to do him myself again. The mini poodle i had years ago was great. she used to just stand and let me trim, clip etc, til finished. Benji though, he just dont like it. No one mentioned oscar clippers...arent they being made anymore? or arent they any good? Please let me know, cause I wont use them if not good.

Edited by Bloss

Bloss - I think you mean Oster clippers - yes they are still being made - great clippers but I personally don't like them as the caseing gets very hot.

It is certainly much easier to groom a dog which is co-operative and has what I call "grooming manners". It a makes life easier for the grooomer, more enjoyable for the dog (rather than a battle) and means it is all over more quickly. Some of the most difficult dogs I groom are those that have been done by their owners (allowed to develop bad habits) or younger dogs whose owners waited 6 months before getting there first clip :)

Poodle 3081 - I have to say I don't think my new KM2 sre the same quality of workmanship as my KMs that are 10 years old - I was quite dissappointed in them actually but they are just back ups. Think I will look at Thrives for my next set. I have never liked Andis as I found they vibrated a lot - has this changed with newer models?

Bloss - I think you mean Oster clippers - yes they are still being made - great clippers but I personally don't like them as the caseing gets very hot.

It is certainly much easier to groom a dog which is co-operative and has what I call "grooming manners". It a makes life easier for the grooomer, more enjoyable for the dog (rather than a battle) and means it is all over more quickly. Some of the most difficult dogs I groom are those that have been done by their owners (allowed to develop bad habits) or younger dogs whose owners waited 6 months before getting there first clip :)

Sorry. i should have gone to look at the clipppers for the spelling. lol...and yes are so right, they get hot, i now remember wearing gloves to keep my hands cool. Maybe will get another clipper, easier etc to clip him. The oster set is getting old. We will be taking him to the pet place for some time yet, they do such a great job and we dont wish to fight him and make him hate it. He lets me clean his eyes now, and even lets me pull the hair outta his ears.

Can I just ask (not having a go at you) if you are not willing to spend a little extra on clippers are going to buy a decent dryer to fluff her up?

If you aren't then it's likely you will never be happy with job you do yourself.

Is this really a necessity to buy a decent dryer? Do you mean like one from clipperworld, the cheapest dryer there seems to be $200 ? (Lazor RX). When I bath her I try her with just a normal human hair dryer, will this not get her dry enough for me to clip?

If its going to cost 200 for clippers then 100 for scissors then 200 for a dryer = 500 I may as well just go to the groomers ? Are scissors and a dryer needed to do a basic job, I don't mind if she ends up a bit scruffy looking as long as her hair gets short enough not to get so dirty.. :)

The "breeder" really should have told you about the high grooming needs of a MaltXPoodle.

Have you looked at the Saxon clippers? They have 'proper' blades, compatible with the Oster and Andis and are less than $200 inc. post. HAve a look at the blade prices there, also, probably the cheapest you'll find and I find they're fine for home use.

I'm only giving a pet owner perspective- The Saxon clippers sound fine for your needs.

I don't have a dryer, so results are at best OK. Dryers give the best, fluffy finish. You could use a hand dryer with care (they're quick to burn the skin), but you won't have enough hands to dry and brush at the same time. I brush, comb and bath in the morning, brush and clip that afternoon once totally dry and tangle free.

Purebreed poodles have a thicker coat than most poodleXs, so the fur is much more "forgiving" of a clip using no dryer. I don't mind the curlier look, though it feels less soft.

It's a fair bit of work and the equipment is expensive, that's why groomers charge what they do.