Lamb Shanks

Purple Julie

We gave Jyra a lamb shank the other day and I was expecting that it would last forever, that she would get the meat off it and the bone would stay around. But apparently no-one saw her with it much after she was given it. Do you think she would have been able to chew right through the bone and eat it all?

The other possibility is that she buried it. But she has never buried bones before. But then she's been doing some strange things lately. We haven't noticed any places that look like a bone burial spot, but we haven't searched either.

The ony thing around here that lasts more than 10 minutes is turkey drumsticks. They last 15 :o

I have found them to be the only "bones" where they actually pull the meat off with their front toofers as opposed to chewing on the side. So although they are expensive I consider them cheaper (and safer) than full dentals.

They get them once a week.

annieK

ETA: yep shanks are totally gone in 10.

Edited by anniek

Mine love their lamb shanks but yes, they don't last long. Haven't seen turkey drumsticks around - where do you get yours from Anniek?

I get them from a fresh chicken outlet in Frankston Bayside shopping centre.

I see you are in Sydney so I can't help you there.

Usually $3.99 per kilo and they weigh almost a kilo each.

annieK

I dont want to scare you PJ or anyone else for that matter but I will tell you a story.

My friend had 2 fully grown Boxers whom she would give lamb shanks to as a treat about once a month. Daisy was about 8 and Gatsby was 6. One warm evening she gave the dogs a lamb shank outside whilst she was watering. When she turned around Gatsby was dead :laugh: , he had choked on the bone, he must have tried to swallow it whole maybe and Jan didnt hear anything above the noise of the hose. :rofl:

I will never give Maverick a lamb shank.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont want to scare you PJ or anyone else for that matter but I will tell you a story.

My friend had 2 fully grown Boxers whom she would give lamb shanks to as a treat about once a month. Daisy was about 8 and Gatsby was 6. One warm evening she gave the dogs a lamb shank outside whilst she was watering. When she turned around Gatsby was dead :laugh: , he had choked on the bone, he must have tried to swallow it whole maybe and Jan didnt hear anything above the noise of the hose. :o

[/quote

We have a boxer & I was always told to supervise him if I was going to give him a small to medium bone.

Apparently (and proven with ours!) they have a tendancy to try & swallow things whole.

:laugh:

that's scary Daggles, thanks for sharing, I'll watch Diva from now on whenever I gave her something that size.

I've discovered lamb necks only recently and a small one last her up to 2 hours while really big ones one whole day when frozen! Hooray!!! Now I need an extra fridge to store all those jumbo necks, they took up way too much space. I usually buy 10 when it's available.

Clover can fully demolish a lamb shank no problems, the Borders usually leave a small bit of bone and the pup has not had one 'yet' :thumbsup:.

Never actually fed shanks, i fed necks more.......but they certainly dont last long either, about 10 minutes for one dog and 15 the other.

Wolfgirl where abouts in Victoria are you? Wouldnt mind giving the turkey wings/drumsticks a go because i am having trouble finding necks too.

My friend had 2 fully grown Boxers whom she would give lamb shanks to as a treat about once a month. Daisy was about 8 and Gatsby was 6. One warm evening she gave the dogs a lamb shank outside whilst she was watering. When she turned around Gatsby was dead :thumbsup: , he had choked on the bone, he must have tried to swallow it whole maybe and Jan didnt hear anything above the noise of the hose. :laugh:

That is a big fear of mine when giving my two bones.

What can be done if your dog does happen to choke?