How Young Can Puppies Be Bathed?

alananddora

Hi,

At what age can a puppy be bathed at? Seen the threads on general bathing and we have some special dog shampoo/conditioner but were concerned as she is only 11 weeks this Thursday.

Is there anything that says we cannot at this young age?

Thanks

A&D

Edited by alananddora

Hi,

At what age can a puppy be bathed at? Seen the threads on general bathing and we have some special dog shampoo/conditioner but were concerned as she is only 11 weeks this Thursday.

Thanks

A&D

I have bathed orphan pups at 4 days of age. My dogs are bathed before every show. I have been known to come and re bath if the show grounds are in bad condition ready for the next days showing = red mud, red dust, etc.

Just make sure you use a quality shampoo then condition.

Yep i'm with you, my pups always go home at 8 weeks smelling clean and fresh.

We often will bath the pups on the day they are picked up by there new families.

If the weather is ok for that, we put them in the hydro bath, as well as cleaning them it is also a new learning experience for them.

All the pups take the hydro very well indeed.

i bathed my 5 week old foster puppies on the weekend they were a bit grotty and smelly and will bath them before they go to their new homes as well. no harm in bathing baby puppies as your lil one is older it would be no worries at all. good idea to get him used to it now while hes young, make it a positive experience and hopefully he will love it.

Hi,

Thanks

A&D

I bath my puppies when they need it sometimes only a backend bath :rofl: and always bath them before they leave home. I suggest to new owners to bath them as often as they wish. As puppies love playing they often roll in undesirable places and need a cleanup. :laugh:

We just gave willow her first bath today! (gorgeous 24 degree day here in adelaide) Her skin was a shade dry so we used an oatmeal shampoo we got from the vets last puppy preschool :cry: I think its a good idea to get them used to it young, so they learn to love it :(