Desexing Advice

danelover

Hello to you all.

Im just waiting for my pup to finish her first season to get her desexed (we were a little late), so in the meantime of keeping her indoors and away from other dogs, i was quoted $265 to get her desexed, and i guess thats ok due to her weight. The question i ask is that they also mentioned i should get her intravenous fluid for extra $70 plus a $92 blood sample analysed prior to surgery to make sure that everything is good etc....

From other experience especially great danes, is it really worth me getting the extras on top???

Any help will be great...

Cheers, Bek :) ;)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My personal view - seek the opinion of another Vet. I think the time spent doing this willbe worth it.

You don't need the bloodwork (what a crock that one is) and she will not need the fluids unless there are any complications for whatever reason (she has to stay under longer or takes longer to come out of the anesthetic...bleeds heavily etc).

My pup was 18kg when desexed and coped well without blood tests or IV fluids, however, it's a bit easier on the boys. They offered the blood tests but suggested IV fluids really weren't necessary.

I'd be wanting to hear from other Dane people about it before deciding. Some vets are more about the $ than others, even at the same surgery.

I agree, it's all just ways to add guilt to the owner and bump up the fee. If she needed any of those things they should just be done and not an option for the owner.

GAWD that annoys me, and the guilt trip they do about pain relief. If the dog is in pain surely they should just include it and charge for it, it should not be an owner option.

Kyzer was desexed about 2 weeks ago, i asked them to remove his last remaining baby tooth while he was under, it was the top long pointy one, not familiar with the name sorry!

Well I was pretty shocked when i got the bill - $155 for the desexing and $50 to take out the tooth!

Fair enough if i had visited the vet just for the tooth, but he was already under general, all they would have had to do is yank it out with a pair of pliers :(: no stitches required, nothing.

what a ridiculous price, if i had realised i would've waited longer for it to fall out, stupidly i didn't think to ask how much it would be.

I am a vet nurse and I would highly reccomend getting the IV for a bitch as if during the surgery her blood pressure drops it can be brought up quickly by running the fluid through,the blood tests are optional and the $92 would be for a full major blood test you should be able to get a minor blood test done for around $45.

As you have a large breed dog the risk of any problems occuring is lower than if you had a small dog.

If it was my dog I would want piece of mind knowing that the dog was on an IV.

If you decide against having the IV in from the start just know in the time it takes to put an IV in if a problem occurs-it may be too late :)

The blood test is optional.

If you had a boy I would not bother with IV fluids.

But only you can decide and do what you believe is best for your dog. :(

I am a vet nurse and I would highly reccomend getting the IV for a bitch as if during the surgery her blood pressure drops it can be brought up quickly by running the fluid through,the blood tests are optional and the $92 would be for a full major blood test you should be able to get a minor blood test done for around $45.

Sorry I think that is a complete rip off. If I dog needs IV fluid, it should be determined by the vet who is anaesthetising the dog, and given if necessary. I believe it is not routine unless there is more than normal blood loss.

If you decide against having the IV in from the start just know in the time it takes to put an IV in if a problem occurs-it may be too late

I hope the vet would not withhold IV fluids if needed because the owner did not request it prior. How on earth can an owner be expected to know whether or not their dog will need IV fluid :(.

If it was my dog I would want piece of mind knowing that the dog was on an IV.

What if it was NOT needed and the dog was fluid overloaded, causing possible pulmonary oedema?

But only you can decide and do what you believe is best for your dog
No she can't. She is not a vet and has to believe whatever they tell her.

Danelover, As your dog is young and healthy, I would not bother with the blood test... in fact I would look at finding a vet who is less likely to rip you off.

Edited by Toohey

Sorry I think that is a complete rip off. If I dog needs IV fluid, it should be determined by the vet who is anaesthetising the dog, and given if necessary. I believe it is not routine unless there is more than normal blood loss.

All Female dogs who we desex are on IV and it is included in the desex price.

You cannot tell if a dog is going to have a low blood pressue before you start and once you begin it can change very quickly,some dogs go downhill exreamly quickly.As for blood loss if you have a blood pressure lower than 70 there will be next to no blood loss which is why it is reccomened to have the dog on fluids.Once the blood pressure is below 80 it needs to be rissen ASAP and some dogs go down quicker than you can get the IV in.Also if the dog has low blood pressure it is diffuclt to raise the vein.

I hope the vet would not withhold IV fluids if needed because the owner did not request it prior. How on earth can an owner be expected to know whether or not their dog will need IV fluid :).[ QUOTE]

I would hope not aswell :(

What if it was NOT needed and the dog was fluid overloaded, causing possible pulmonary oedema?

This would be highly unlikely as the dog would remain on a maitence rate unless something happened.

This would be highly unlikely as the dog would remain on a maitence rate unless something happened.

Maintenance perhaps?

Actually, both of you are incorrect anyway. From my knowledge pulmonary odema would not occur from fluid therapy. :( The dog may urinate a lot... but that is all.

Suffice to say the fluid would not harm the dog but probably isn't neccessary.

my bitch was desexed during her c-section(18 pups)her uterus was massive and they didnt have her hooked up to fluids.i too worked as a vet nurse and it is not standard practise for those tests unless the dog has a problem anyway and they need to check before a surgery.it is like the vets now saying a gastroplexy op for large chested breeds should be routine during desexing!!!

Actually, both of you are incorrect anyway. From my knowledge pulmonary odema would not occur from fluid therapy. :) The dog may urinate a lot... but that is all.

Suffice to say the fluid would not harm the dog but probably isn't neccessary.

Puggles, I am not incorrect. It's certainly possible, though more likely in those who have impaired cardiac/renal systems.

Fluid overload

This occurs when fluids are given at a higher rate or in a larger volume than the system can absorb or excrete. Possible consequences include hypertension, heart failure, and pulmonary edema.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intravenous

Actually the most realistic problem from fluid overload would probably be urinary retention post-op...

however, this is way off track and is probably scaring the OP :(

Fluids are not a choice. If fluids are required they should be used.

And I would be telling the vet I will pay for fluids IF THEY ARE REQUIRED!!!!

Good advice.

I agonised over whether to go the IV etc when desexing Angus and in the end opted for the stock standard desexing.

I declined the blood tests too but regretted this several months later when he was not very well and had to have full bloods and did not have any benchmark to compare the results to.

PS you should come across to the Dane thread in the Breed Specific Forum (under General) - we are the friendliest, less argumentative bunch here and there are some very experienced dane owners there who are always really willing to help. Sway who posted here is one of them!

some dogs go down quicker than you can get the IV in.Also if the dog has low blood pressure it is diffuclt to raise the vein.

Are you saying that dogs are undergo surgery without IV access? I don't mean fluids, just access.

With humans ALL patients must have an IV cannula in for any procedure.

Are you saying that dogs are undergo surgery without IV access? I don't mean fluids, just access.

With humans ALL patients must have an IV cannula in for any procedure.

It depends on the vet and what sedation/anesethic is used -generally we sedate with ACP/ATRO sub cut and "knock out" with ISO using a gas mask so there is no need for IV access(for desexing)which is why we routinely use Fluids for all speys and this is included in the desexing price.(obviously a pain killer is given also :thumbsup: )Once surgery is over usually 20mins later provided all has gone well IV is removed.

If it was a larger OP then generally speaking they would be on a IV from the start of the surgery BUT for other OPs it is done case by case and usually a pre anesetic blood test is done to make sure there are no other problems,so as not to increase other risk factors.

Edited by sheree_e4